Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-30-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmillso View Post
I just mounted my 380x150-5's and they look great. Does anyone have a recommended tire pressure that I should be running in these?
Cheers,
Tom.
I run mine at 45--50 psi.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 470 in 8 years
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
Old 10-31-2017, 12:41 AM

Thanks guys. I'm running the Matco wheel/brake assembly that came with the RV-7 kit and I've run into the clearance issue with the caliper. I've measured the clearance from 20 through to 65psi and plotted it. At 20 psi I have 0.032" at this worst case location, at 65psi I have 4 thou, and based on the shape of the curve I estimate contact at around 90 psi. I see some earlier posts regarding shimming things to improve the clearance, however it's not exactly clear what to shim. If I am to bother shimming say a 0.063" further out , in my mind that would require a 4.5" diameter disc to be fabricated between the brake rotor and the inner rim half, an 0.063" thicker shim that is currently in place against the inboard bearing, and a 0.063" thinner shim between the outer bearing and the axle nut. This would mean that I would not have to drill a new axle position, which I really do not want to do.
Or, I could just leave it at the current clearance and see how things go?
How are others achieving the desired clearance, and what should that target clearance be?