- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2017, 01:32 PM

Default Extras needed beyond the actual kit

hi all newbie question(s);

Are extra oopps rivets needed? How many and what kinds?
Extra AN bolts needed?

any extra hardware you've found yourself buying.....

thanks all!
Old 10-25-2017, 04:13 PM

All AN hardware is included in the kit. Unless you lose something, you shouldnít need to buy extra. That said, I have some extra bolts in the more common sizes that I sometimes use for test fitting, just to prevent the stuff Iíll use for final assembly from getting too scratched up or damaged.

I also have some non-locking nuts I sometimes use for trial fitting. You donít want to be using the elastic stop nuts too many times, or they wonít hold as tightly as they will when they are new.

Oops rivets arenít included. Since most of the rivets in the -12 are pulled rivets, you probably wonít need Oops rivets. Oops rivets are for replacing an occasional flush-head solid rivet that you might mess up when riveting skins. In the -12, the skins are attached with pulled rivets.

In the places where you use solid flush-head rivets, youíll be using a squeezer, not a rivet gun, which also minimizes your chances for needing oops rivets. Finally, most of the solid rivets in the -12 are AN-470 (universal head) rivets. If you goof these up, you canít replace them with an Oops rivet. You can carefully drill out the rivet and try squeezing it again, or buy new parts. In some cases, you might be able to use the next size larger rivet, but it depends on location, edge distance, etc.

VAF donation made for 2017
Old 10-25-2017, 04:21 PM

NAS1097 (commonly called oops rivets) are optionally allowed for installing nut plates which avoids having to dimple for the normal AN426 rivets by just doing a shallow machine countersink. They are not included in the standard kit though.

0.02 lbs of 3-3 and 3-3.5 would probably easily last through an RV-12 project.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-26-2017, 08:49 AM

lol, by oopps rivets I mean "oops I messed that up now I need to drill it out and replace it with another one from the bag." That's followed by "dang am I going to need to buy more of these now?". Are the rivets supplied with the kits enough for the random do over?

Also, I bought the Cleveland tool set which came with 125 1/8 clecos. Is that going to be enough for the really big parts like wings and fuse? Should I order more of them?
Old 10-26-2017, 08:50 AM

Also, am I going to need an edge break tool of some kind to put the little lip on the skins where they overlap?
Old 10-26-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JwWright57 View Post
Also, am I going to need an edge break tool of some kind to put the little lip on the skins where they overlap?
The tool makes it a whole lot easier but I did mine with the slotted piece of wood like Van's suggests. Takes more time but worked fine.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 10-26-2017, 01:26 PM

Van's has a good list of most of the tools you will need but are always more tools that you may want just to make things easier.

You will need various abrasives - some for power tools others that you use by hand. Depending on how much priming you choose to do, you will need painting supplies and paint. Your will also use various sealants - RTV, Proseal, etc.

If you're trying to put together a budget, add some money for replacement parts - you will definitely make some mistakes along the way that will require you to buy replacement parts.
RV-12 (ELSA, Dual G3X), SOLD
Highland Village,TX
Old 10-26-2017, 01:50 PM

I bought an oops rivet kit and never used a single one! Bought lots of other extra stuff that I did use though.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:04 AM

I added the break at the fuselage skin edges by laying the shin panel on my work table with the edge hanging about a half inch off the table and rubbed a wood block back and forth at the edge to give it the break. Works great and easy to control how much break you put in.