I had the same issue, and I believe I remember reading others as well. I got pretty good at taking the elevators off and on. It's definitely a trial and error process. I remember "ensuring" the leading edge bend of the elevators were properly formed. I may have "encouraged" them a bit. Also, during my many trial fits, I finally figured out that because there are two hinges, one can be used as the pivot point. e.g. If the inner edge is rubbing, you may try and "screw in" the outer rod end bearing. I was a little paranoid about not knowing exactly how much threads were in the nutplates. I measured and determined the max amount I was comfortable threading each one out.
I think I also used a piece of thin cardboard to keep checking clearance.