What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOA Port in LEADING EDGE - Where to locate (or won't work)

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
I know this must have been figured out. I plan on using EFIS AOA (Dynon,
Garmin, GRT) but not a fan of the Pitot/AOA port in one.

These AOA's work (with out a vane) is comparing pressure of pitot vs the AOA port. The difference in pressure between the two gives you derived AOA. Right? (correct me if wrong).

Want to use a small pitot (only) under wing, and place the AOA port in the leading edge. WHERE DO I LOCATED THAT AOA PORT in LEADING EDGE? Would this not work?

Suppose Dynon/Garmin/GRT software might not be ideal for this configuration. The other way to go is stall warning vane or tab... Van has one in his catalog.

Last edited:
I'm not going to read that old thread, but for my AFS Sport AoA, the manual reads:
A sure way to determine good wing pressure
port locations is by noting what others have found to
work. There are some places where pressure ports should
not be located on the wing such as in line with the
propeller wash, too close to the wing tip, and in areas
difficult to access. Generally 15% to 40% chord and
forward of the ailerons will work well. The upper and
lower ports should be located at the same % chord but
offset by 2" to 4" spanwise.

I'm not going to read that old thread, but for my AFS Sport AoA, the manual reads:
Thank you both. Got to say not a fan of the ball infiltrator idea in that thread, but clever. I was thinking something flush. However due to boundary layer flush AOA port may not work. Hope to find flush set up, someone has got to work. Path of least resistance is just buy the EFIS manufactures pitot / AOA probe combo.

Last edited:
I used a pop-rivet with the mandrel punched out (similar to static port) near my leading edge landing light cutout. I can access the tube/rivet junction inside the cutout.I tried to match the angle of the Dynon/Garmin pitot tubes for the AOA port vs the leading edge.
It does work but is too sensitive, it seems to bounce around a lot especially in turbulence and turns. I?ve been thinking about adding a probe/straw and get out of the boundary layer.

Back