What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3B Flap Build

Andy Hill

Well Known Member
Advice / thoughts please!

Randy notes:
Further wing construction notes from RV-3B builder Dan Benua who built his own wings (non-QB):
Dwg 9 - Flaps. The flap plan needs clarification regarding the placement of the inboard rib FL-303. The drawing shows the web of this rib intersecting the flap spar FL-302 at about 48" from the outboard end of the flap. This is coincident with the inboard edge of the wing skins, but more than 1.5" out from the side of the fuselage. The consequence is that flap control linkage connects to the Wd-306 weldment well outboard of the fuselage side requiring a large hole in the F-325 bottom skin for the linkage. Randy solved this problem by adding a large fairing to cover the required hole. My solution is to move the FL-303 rib inboard by about 7/8". This places the linkage attach point closer to the curve of the fuselage. To achieve this the top flange of the FL-302 lap spar should be dimensioned to 49.5". The lower flange lengh should be 51", which is the length of the supplied material. The rib and FL-305 reinforcing plate should be mounted coincident with the end of the top flange. (N.B. I haven't yet built the fuselage to conclusively prove that this modification is beneficial!)
This would appear to address the problem found by Tony S Pic Pic needing to extend the Operating Arm, and seemingly Rob H Pic

I am not sure how the QB Flaps are dimensioned? And then fit? If someone has some QB Flaps to hand, what is the top and bottom length of the spar please?

In short, I am starting on the Flaps, and plan on moving, as per advice above, FL-303 inboard by 7/8" more than shown on Dwg 9. I will have plenty of small bits to fabricate first, so will check back here for comments / thoughts before committing ;)

Thanks in advance...

Andy

Working the flaps now....

The 49.5 inch dimension Andy/Randy/Dan mention for the top flange of the spar comes from this:

48.0" from the plans + 7/8" move it inboard + 5/8" flange on inboard rib FL-303 = 49.5".

Dave

Back