What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Idaho's Getting Snow

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Just saw this on the McCall webcam. Snow!!!!

click to enlarge thumbnail

OK, I'm starting to have those 'RV to Taos, NM for snow skiing' thoughts again.

Must snow ski !!!

Last edited:
Speaking of cameras....

What's up with the camera in Idaho (forgot the name) where you, Jay, and others went to camp this summer? It kept saying 'down for maintenance' for months, and I finally discarded the link. Heck, I sell CCTV cameras (along with security and fire equipment)...I wonder what part they needed?

Take care,

Yo, Gary.

Johnson Creek, ID. Middle of the backcountry and a RV friendly runway. Mountain flying skills a must (contact Lori at www.MountainCanyonFlying.com) . Web access is spotty and cell access is no joy here. This place shuts down when the weather gets cold.

Great place to camp when warm.

B,
D

Last edited:
Johnson Creek Web Cam

Gary
The web cam at JC Idaho has been off since early summer. The care takers there said it came back from the repareman and it still didn't work?
I wish we could do something to get it fixed, it is the camera that you posted a link of Doug and company at JC.

Where is the post of me telling you about my new Cub project? cant find it??
JBird

We already had a dusting here!

Tell me, has anyone seen or better yet... FLOWN an RV on ski's?

I wouldn't mind giving it a try with mine when it is done.

:confused: CJ

skies

If I recall correctly I have seen one with skies...but I am not sure. I know I have seen an RV-6 on floats but I thought I saw one on skies years ago.

I would be concerned about prop clearance though as the RV's don't have as much clearance as some bush planes do for softer snow. If the snow is packed it should not be a problem though. I am not ski expert though so I am speculating.

I have LOTSA time on snow machines and know what snow "feels" like so a prop strike possibility would be minimal for me. Mostly because I know my landing areas already.

Snow is an everchanging environment and one you cannot count on being aviation grade for long. It can change consistency in as little as one hour.

If anyone has any ski time, please chime in! I am interested in hearing your P.O.V.!

:D CJ

RV on skis and canopy concern

There was a picture in one of the first RV calendars of an RV-4 on skis in Alaska......Red/Black plane.....Up here in Saskatchewan the winters get pretty cold and although I would love to fly on skis... I am terrified of cracking the canopy in the cold (opening/closing).....any thoughts on this ??

Marc DeGirolamo
Flying RV-4

Back