What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-7 Elevator Drill Bushing - Questions

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
So I went to my local hardware store and bought a nylon ¼" OD spacer with a 7/32" ID for about .40¢.
I'm in rural Oregon, no big box stores less than 4 hours drive

The nylon spacer seemed like the ticket but I'm concerned.

With the spacer in the bearing and a 7/32" bit in the spacer, there seems to be a bit of slop. I can wiggle the bit so it would make a measurable difference where the pilot hole would start. If I'm clear about this procedure, the hole has to be precisely aligned with the bearing and both elevator horns.

I'm interested in finding out:
  1. If you may have noticed some slop and still drilled the hole
  2. Any other methods for aligning the hole.
  3. Once the hole was drilled to size, did you have any hinge binding issues and if so, how you solved that.

Van's tech support must be at Oshkosh.

bushing.jpg

And yes, I'll place the stabilizer and elevator on the bench, upside down, before I drill the horn.

Last edited:
IIRC you probably have a piece of 1/4 in OD Rigid aluminum tubing from the kit which has a 3/16 ID or smaller. Polish the tubing until it fits into the bearing and use an appropriate sized drill bit that fits the ID of the tube for the pilot hole? A steel bushing might be better but Aluminum has worked fo me doing only 2 holes.

IIRC you probably have a piece of 1/4 in OD Rigid aluminum tubing from the kit which has a 3/16 ID or smaller. Polish the tubing until it fits into the bearing and use an appropriate sized drill bit that fits the ID of the tube for the pilot hole? A steel bushing might be better but Aluminum has worked fo me doing only 2 holes.

Also, try sections of brass tubing stacked inside each other.
Two ideas. Both Larry.
Great minds:D

I also used brass bushings. I don't remember there being zero slop but I also don't remember it particularly being sloppy. After you drill a hole you can check it for on center before up-sizing, if not centered, file away until it is.

Also, try sections of brass tubing stacked inside each other.
Two ideas. Both Larry.
Great minds:D

Thanks for the help.

I couldn't find any brass tubing but that sounded like a good idea.

I did find a piece of ?" tubing but still had issues with the bit wiggling, plus the bit was pretty large for a pilot hole.

But I did find some rope ferrules that ended up working. I had to stack them together but they provided a nice tight fit in the bearing and for the drill bit.

Drilled the pilot holes and then up sized to ?"...perfect alignment.

bit.jpg

align.jpg

hah that’s a challenge to your inventiveness ! glad you found a good solution.

I hope a big box hardware store isn’t that far, I’ve made many many trips to them.

Yep now that I see your first picture that's exactly what I used. My elevators moved smooth as butter, I would expect yours will too.

Back