What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans vs Vetterman Exhaust

carrollcw

Well Known Member
Anyone have any thoughts about the Exhaust built by Vans supplied in the FF kit vs the Vetterman exhaust? I have a Titan IOX370 w/ Vertical Induction.

Thanks

Anyone have any thoughts about the Exhaust built by Vans supplied in the FF kit vs the Vetterman exhaust? I have a Titan IOX370 w/ Vertical Induction.

Thanks

Vans exhaust is a Vetterman. At least my RV-10 exhaust was.

Give Larry a call and talk to him directly.

Same for me. I got the Vans Sun 'n Fun IO-360/Sensenich prop combo. The Vettermans exhaust kit came with it...well either with it, or with the FWF kit (I forget which), but it was pretty much standard.

same combo

I have a Titan IOX-370 with vertical induction, as well. I have the Vetterman Exhaust supplied from Vans with my Firewall Forward Kit. Everything fit great. I have no complaints.

Things haved changed

I spoke to Larry not to long ago and Vans are welding there own exhaust systems now. I'm sure they support there work. Being you have an ECI stroker I would be inclined to work with Larry direct.A call to both would be in order here.

The standard crossover: P/N =EA EXH/MUFF 320/360-1 that Vans sells is no longer manufactured by Vetterman Exhaust. Vans has been building that system for around 2 years now. We still build the same system, and it is available directly from us. Our system is available with either straight pipes, or dual mufflers, and can be upgraded to mufflers from straight pipes.
Clint

Who dat?

Hey Clint,
Just a suggestion,
maybe you should include your position and company name in your signature, so you can get "credit" for who, and what you do.
( I assume, you ARE the Clint at Vetterman's?)
:eek:

Even though I love Van's "aircraft", my loyalty runs deep with Vetterman's (Larry and Clint) so I still purchase my exhaust systems directly from them. Plus when I need parts or service they have my back.

I'm with Walt on this one. Vettermans all the way. Great product and excellent people.

and no need for Clint to add a signature line...We know who he is. ;)

My friend with an ECI Titan IO-360 9.2:1 compression engine in his RV-8 opted for the Vetterman 4-pipe system. It's turned out to be a great performing exhaust and it sounds great too. Highly recommended.

Another vote for Clint and Vetterman

Both my -7's have Vetterman's exhaust systems, bought via Vans's FF-kit a few years ago.
I'm a REALLY happy camper as a Vetterman customer!
Great quality and great systems. Both systems bolted right on with no issues.

Larry (before his retirement) and Clint are providing great customer care. Highly recommended!

PS: They now have a new system available: fwd induction X-over with dual mufflers! That'll provide alot of heat in addition to the lowered noise output.

http://www.vettermanexhaust.com/

Yet another vote For Clint at Vetterman exhaust !

Larry was still in command when I bought my exhaust system for my RV-8 a four pipe system it is . A year and a half later I needed some help with it and Clint took Great care of me with what I Neened to do . :D
When I need an exhaust fixed or new purchase , I will be calling Clint at Vetterman Exhaust , Thanks Larry and Clint Great Guys to deal with .

Would You Buy An Xxhaust System From These Guys?!

IMG_3802.JPG

I sure would - and I have!!! :D

Ok then, can someone please explain the pros and cons and what exactly is 4 pipe, crossover, and muffler options?

Ok then, can someone please explain the pros and cons and what exactly is 4 pipe, crossover, and muffler options?
What you see in the photo that Paul posted above is a crossover. See how one cylinder on the right, and one cylinder on the left, are connected together to the same "tail pipe" that goes out the back of the cowl? Each pipe "crosses over".

A four-pipe has four separate tubes exiting the cowl. One for each cylinder.

Muffler option is just that. Imagine if Paul's photo had a canister-like muffler (look like big heat muffs, and for cabin heating they work remarkably better than heat muffs) on each tail pipe. They quiet the exhaust noise a little and provide LOTS of cabin heat.

I love my Vetterman exhaust.

Vetterman

I purchased a system that had previously been installed on a 320. The crossover tubes needed extended for my 360. Larry and Clint went beyond the call of duty to help me. Like most everyone here, I love the mothership but I wouldn't buy an exhaust from anyone but Vetterman.

One of them is Larry the other one is Clint. :D
you'll need to go to the Hot Springs fly-in to meet them.

I just ordered mine from Clint at vettermans. Based on the recommendations here and the fact a crossover system is actually less expensive from them vs vans (over $100 less), it was a no brainer! Now hopefully Clint can get it to me faster than the 4-5 weeks he told me. I need it now!

The cost difference for the Van's crossover system is likely the result of the advanced design heat-muff that is included with the system. It works very well.... providing very hot air to both carb heat (if needed) and cabin heat. A photo of the installation can be viewed in THIS document.

Oh, and I think they are usually in stock.... no 4-5 week wait. ;)

Back