What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

4 Cheaper seats

jcadwell

I'm New Here
Is there a market for an RV with four seats that uses the 360 or 390? Am I holding out for nothing?

I own a 172 (180HP Constant Speed), and am young enough to need four seats for a long time. I'm also just poor enough that the RV-10 takes my financial breath away...

Perhaps this is part rant, but I can't seem to find an experimental 172 with more speed, a modern flight deck with an autopilot, and the ability to take off and land in a reasonable distance, especially off of grass.

Bearhawk?

You could probably scratch build a Bearhawk on the relatively cheap (dollar-wise, not time-wise), and outperform your 172. I find myself in a similar predicament. I'd love to own a -10, but at a minimum, that would mean selling the -7. Guess I'll just have to beg, borrow, and ste---..... er... rent until I can come up with the big bucks.

Lot's of folks kicked in wanting a stretch 9 with 4 seats and IO-360. Hasn't happened yet and its been years. May not be possible.

Bob

I hear ya, our Sky Hawk was nearly 10K to have a 430 installed. That is close to what I will be spending on the entire Dynon system!

Double RV-4 seating in a 7

I took RV-4 seating overlaying it on RV-7 and this is what I get:

RV-74_zps601d41ed.png

Last edited:
Is there a market for an RV with four seats that uses the 360 or 390? Am I holding out for nothing?

I own a 172 (180HP Constant Speed), and am young enough to need four seats for a long time. I'm also just poor enough that the RV-10 takes my financial breath away...

Perhaps this is part rant, but I can't seem to find an experimental 172 with more speed, a modern flight deck with an autopilot, and the ability to take off and land in a reasonable distance, especially off of grass.

I've asked the guys at Vans this question in person at shows and via e-mail. They don't think an in-between airplane would add many sales. They thinkit would cannibalize sales of both the RV-9 and RV-10.

But I love the idea.

Maybe someday...

Has anybody put a smaller Lycoming engine in the -10? I'm not aware of one, but that would be a substantial cost savings potentially. CG would be an issue, but the plane would be lighter. The battery would need to be moved forward and the engine placed further forward than the -540. It would not perform as well, but would be interesting to see, being a fair bit lighter because of the engine.

Not an RV but 4 seats

I built a jabiru J450 4 place airplane. It's functionally a 172 on less fuel. 500 hours in it, and I love the plane. Can be built much cheaper than the 10, but it won't do near as much as the 10 either. For us, it's pretty much a perfect fit. Give it a look.

KB

You may recall that Vans demonstrator RV10 #2 has a TCM IO-360. Vans decided that no one wanted the smaller engine.
For an E-AB 172 with a little more speed, maybe the Glastar?
To be fair, the -10 is a much faster C-182. No comparison to a 172.

The Simple Answer Is....

..if you want 4 seats, there's really only a few options (below). Be advised, for most of these, you're trading money for time. In other words, less cost to build = more time building. If not, then you have other avenues, but prepare yourself for an intense build.

4-seat CC Cruisers (In order of approximate CC speed - high to low)

1) Lancair 4 - Glass. They also have the Evolution, but only for the well-off. Better speed, poorer short-field, extra comfort, for waaaay more money, "what's a slow build?";)
2) Velocity XL/XLRG/etc.. - Glass. Cheapish canard, with poor short-field, good speed, roomy, long build times, but QB available.
3) Cozy Mark4 - Glass. Cheaper canard, poor short-field, a little too cozy for me, quick CC, very long build times, no QB.
4) Foxtrot 4, Express 2000 (They're similar) - Glass. Somewhat clonish to the Lancairs, but cheaper. Not many built, not sure about support or build times. Quick birds, but not quick builds.
5) Ravin 500 - Glass. Very similar to a Comanche, but faster and with better range. Retract, slow build, expensive, not many flying.
6) RV-10 - Aluminum. My personal number 1 choice and IMHO the best choice. I chose to slow build to save money, but QB is an option.
7) Sportsman 2+2 - Glass/tube. Really not a 4 seater (small back jumpseats), good short-field, floats, skis, taildragger or nose dragger options, high-wing, QB available.
8) Sling 4 - Aluminum. Rotax engine, excellent economy cruiser, but at slower speeds. Less short-field, climb ability. Cheap, fast pop-rivet construction, roomier than the sportsman 2+2.
9) Bearhawk - My second choice, a Cessna on steroids. Tube/fabric/aluminum. Could even be a 6-seater. Excellent short-field/no field abilities, small engine, so less operating cost, high-wing, floats, skis, etc., QB available. Slower CC cruise, but much faster than your Cessna!
10) The "Others" (Whitman Tailwind, Bede 4, etc.) - Tube/fabric. Cheap, slower, but still faster than your Cessna. Old-school speed demons.:)

Happy hunting.

Back