What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

use of shims on C/S prop?

Ab&DaniRV-3

This question is for all you prop experts... I just purchased a Hartzell HC-C2YL-1BF/F7663-4. I am hanging it on the o-320 e2a. I ordered prop flange bushings from ECI thru a company in redding CA. The bushings arrived the other day and after inspecting them and taking careful measurments I noticed that the bushings are too long for my application by approx. .11 in. I checked Lycomings service inst. 1098H and looks like I got the bushings for the .38 crank shaft flange and I have the .27 flange. I called ECI and they will take the bushings back but here is my delemma, ECI does not have the bushings I need but can order them. I paid 166.00 for all six bushings form ECI and Just one of the shorter (of which I need 2) .480 bushings is $330.00. EA. that comes to almost $900.00 for all six. So here is my question. Can I put a thin spacer behind the prop flange to add to the thickness of the crank flange/ring gear so the bushings protrude into the prop flange at the correct length? I use to have a counter weight prop that had gaskets in this location. I am not opposed to machining the bushings but that is at the very bottom of the list of options, even under purchasing the way more expensive bushings. Which by the way makes me want to volmit.
Any good advise will greatly help.

bushings

I haven't checked to see what dimensions you're looking for, but I have the following bushings sitting on my shelf:

Qty 1: 72060-S Qty 1: 72061-S Qty 4: 72062-S

If any of those will work for you and solve your problem, I'll sell them for an actual reasonable price. Let me know if any of these will help.

I noticed that the bushings are too long for my application by approx. .11 in. I checked Lycomings service inst. 1098H and looks like I got the bushings for the .38 crank shaft flange and I have the .27 flange.

It should be a simple job to have a machine shop remove the extra length for you.

I have no idea if the bushings are surface hardened or not, if so machining them is probably a bad idea.

The work itself is simple if it is something that will not hurt the strength of the bushings------hopefully someone here who has knowledge of this factor will jump in.

You could check with your prop shop-----sounds like American Propellers? and see what they say about cutting the length down.

Good luck.

bushings

Paul thanks for the quick reply. It looks like the Sevice letter calls for (2)72064-s (3) 72063-s and one index bushing 27065-s.

It should be a simple job to have a machine shop remove the extra length for you.

I have no idea if the bushings are surface hardened or not, if so machining them is probably a bad idea.

The work itself is simple if it is something that will not hurt the strength of the bushings------hopefully someone here who has knowledge of this factor will jump in.

You could check with your prop shop-----sounds like American Propellers? and see what they say about cutting the length down.

Good luck.

Thanks Mike, I do not know if these are treated or not either. just pushing them in a little by finger pressure and removing them the same way produces small scratches on the surface of the bushings. so I am guessing that they are not even close to 42 on the rockwell scale.

While I only had a few .001"s to remove, sounds like he has more. I would not do what I did if you needed to remove enough that it got into the threads. I also only had to do it to one bushing...

I found that my bushings were not hard at all.

Hi Bill, I did see Bartels post and he was able to file/ machine the length off and didn't get into the threads. looks like I would have to take a little more than that off. Might be possible though.. The other issue is the index bushing.. It is a little thicker at the sides and would also have to have that machined back .11 in. Another option I was conpemplating was to purchase the correct index bushing and machining the ends .11 in. off the end of the other 5. If it is OK to do that.

Thanks Neal, I will give them a call. Having options at this point could save me $$$$$ Thanks

Their website says a set of 6 lugs for $168. If that price is still current, and they can get you a set with all the proper length ones, even the two shortys for the non-countersunk holes in the CS prop hub... then that sounds like the way to go for sure. That $300+ each for the other bushings/lugs sounds like some kind of certified airplane part prices.

Their website says a set of 6 lugs for $168. If that price is still current, and they can get you a set with all the proper length ones, even the two shortys for the non-countersunk holes in the CS prop hub... then that sounds like the way to go for sure. That $300+ each for the other bushings/lugs sounds like some kind of certified airplane part prices.

Thanks again Neal, looks like the ECI bushings are going back and order the these other ones.
When they told me the prices of the other bushings I about S***. I started flying in 1982 and have been involved in aviation from that time on. Owned a PT-17, a V tail bonanza, 150,140, and now the -3 and something as simple as a bushing costing that much just says 'sucker' writen all over it. Again THANKS for steering me to the right place.

Bushing mystery solved.

Thanks again Neal, looks like the ECI bushings are going back and order the these other ones.
When they told me the prices of the other bushings I about S***. I started flying in 1982 and have been involved in aviation from that time on. Owned a PT-17, a V tail bonanza, 150,140, and now the -3 and something as simple as a bushing costing that much just says 'sucker' writen all over it. Again THANKS for steering me to the right place.

I talked to a gent who mfg. prop bushings and was told there is nothing wrong with trimming with a lathe or belt sander even if it removes some treads as long as after trimming you have a minimum of .4 in. of threads still in the bushings. Cleam them up, put a camfere back on the outside edge and install with liberal amounts of WD-40. He also said that a deep well socket all thread some washers and a couple of nuts also lubed with WD-40 make a simple and easy way to install the flange bushings. Thanks to all who posted to my cry for help:)

Back