What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT Governor confusion

mrblob

Well Known Member
I installed my MT Prop Governor on the back of my new IO-370. The arm on the governor, as it arrived from Van's, points down when installed. That means that the spring loaded position of the control arm would coincide with a course pitch setting of the control in the cockpit. That tipped me off that something isn't right. I found some photos in the link below after searching the forums, and think mine is all kinds of backwards (like I said, mine points down, the one in the photos points up).
http://www.rv8.ch/article.php/20120923223400606

How much of a PITA is it going to be to rotate the arm and the stops 180 degrees? Am I correct that the spring loaded action should push the prop to fine pitch? Anybody else get their governor from Van's with the arm on wrong?

Normal

I've had this as well. You need to remove the safety wire on the perimeter screws, losen them and the back should rotate. Tighten the screws when you get the position you want and safety wire back on.

And yes you're correct. Push away for fine pitch. You don't need much throw by the way - the arm will move very little going from full fine pitch to cruise pitch.

The current set up with the Van's bracket has changed and is virtually impossible to install as described.

I organised the rotation on ours, but could not physically assemble the rod end as shown on the diagram - no clearance to get the bolt in.

Ended up reversing the bracket lug and bringing it in from the outside.

I think this is a big Van's fail.

The old bracket was much better.

Bracket

Hi Mike,

You are right, the current bracket is a pain. To get the bolt on and off you have to loosen the arm, slide it about half way off, then put it back on. Then you get to do the safety wire again.

Can you send some pictures of how you did it?

Thanks,
Mickey

Thanks for the advice! I managed to loosen the 6 screws, rotate the arm and stops to the correct new position, and tighten the screws back down. Not easy to get in there to do all that with the engine mounted. I still need to safety wire everything, which I imagine will be a little challenge in the confined space. Then, of course, I get to finish installing the pushrod, which others have noted is not a walk in the park.

Back