What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My ECi 370 is here!

mrblob

Well Known Member
Woohoo! My new ECi IOX-370 arrived today! Delivery date got delayed by a couple weeks, so ECi picked up the tab for expedited freight shipping. Customer service has been great! Can't wait to get it in the air.

IMG_0910.JPG

Ooooh, nice! I'm working on a -7, too. Get that transition instructor rating .. I'll come down and give you business! (in a few years; wing kit might show up this week!)

Your going to love that Stroker!
We have several of these ECI Titan Strokers assembled from ECI running and they are just terrific.
What fuel and ignition options did you choose and why?

Paul, you're are going to love the 370. Like Kahuna posted, I've done hoses for several of the Teams 370's, and they report excellent power!
Tom

Your going to love that Stroker!
We have several of these ECI Titan Strokers assembled from ECI running and they are just terrific.
What fuel and ignition options did you choose and why?

He has at least 1 P-Mag on there...

I went with dual P-Mags and the Precision Silverhawk vertical induction fuel injection. I've had my mind made up on the P-mags for a long time. Didn't really consider other ignitions. I chose the fuel injection because I had already set everything up for a carb, and this would minimize some of the rework. No return fuel line, vertical induction so no cowl changes. I have a Sam James Shorty that would be expensive and time consuming to replace or a lot of glass work to modify.

I also opted to step the compression down to 8.5:1 instead of 9:1 after talking to ECi engineering and a friend in the prop industry. For what it's worth, Hartzell said the 9:1 would be fine. Giving up about 7 hp, but it will reduce internal stress and decrease the power pulses which is easier on the prop. I'm not trying to break any records, so I'd rather focus on longevity of the system.

I have no idea if I can run Mogas... never thought to ask. Probably not at 8.5:1. Doesn't mogas like really low compression?

...I have no idea if I can run Mogas... never thought to ask. Probably not at 8.5:1. Doesn't mogas like really low compression?

From the ECI web site, they recommend 100/100LL fuel even for the lower compression (8.3:1) OX-370 engine, but I was thinking some folks are running 93 octane MoGas at compression rations around 8.5:1 and less.

Looking forward to your flight reports with the new engine.

Last edited:
Hey Kahuna, how about cooling those strokers? Anything special? Vans oil cooler, larger one etc?

Thanks
Bird

Last edited:
From the ECI web site, they recommend 100/100LL fuel even for the lower compression (8.3:1) OX-370 engine, but I was thinking some folks are running 93 octane MoGas at compression rations around 8.5:1 and less.

Looking forward to your flight reports with the new engine.
FWIW, I've got an ECI OX-340S running a 7.2:1 compression ratio specifically so I can use Mogas, yet not exceed the -9's 160HP recommendation "too much". The engine is rated at 165HP per the data plate.

The comment from ECI was officially:
The compression ratio of the 340s is 7.2:1 with our piston P/N 75411 installed. That would provide plenty of safety margin to run the premium mogas and give you a HP of around 160 or better.

Back