What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AN to NPT adapters

xblueh2o

Well Known Member
Thought I would ask the VAF braintrust since I am sure this is out there somewhere but I just can't find it.

Does anybody make an adapter to go from AN to NPT like an AN823 except at something less than 45 degrees? I am talking somewhere around the 20-30 degree range?

I have tried the regular aviation sources and they are all straight, 45 or 90.
All the specialty race shops also only seem to have the same choices.
Surely somebody out there is making something like that.
I can design around it if I have to but sourcing that fitting will save a fair bit of time and effort.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I saw them. Like everyone else they only have straight, 45 or 90.
I have been to Summit, Jegs, Holley, Russell, Phenix, Earls and untold other automotive "AN" suppliers along with every source for actual AN I can think of.

Beginning to think I am going to get skunked on this one.

Sounds like a custom adapter - two ends on a short tube - could get made by TS Flightlines. Try a call to them.

Is it possable to go with a straight adaptor and a 30 deg hose end? I've seen 30 deg hose ends but it would depend on what style hose you are using.

Is it possable to go with a straight adaptor and a 30 deg hose end? I've seen 30 deg hose ends but it would depend on what style hose you are using.

This!

Angled hose ends come in many different angles. If something other than the standard 45 or 90 is needed, it is the only other option I am aware of.

"Most" of the forged style adapters are 45* and 90*, based on the Mil AN822/AN823 configurations. I'm not aware of anyone that makes a forged style 20* or 30* fitting. making them would be a low production, high expense issue. Sam's problem is unique, and a custom 20* or 30* hose end doesnt solve his issue. YES its a custom install that doesnt apply to a plans based RV.

But Sam---I have a solution!

Tom

Sam's a unique kinda guy!:D And the guy who flew to Portland to give my my first IFR training last year on the way back from the Van's fly-in. You may be able to read about it soon in Kitplanes!

Steve Culp and the early M-14P folks used to cut and TIG metric to SAE, AN and NPT fittings as needed to fit engine to western systems.

Is this not a case for a band saw, sanding belt, a bunch of fittings and a good TIG welder?

Last edited:
Rich, certainly. IF you are not proficient in TIG welding, silver brazing works very well. I built ALOT of fittings back in my industrial days.

Tom

Back