What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Noise-Cancelling Headphones for the Shop

rv12iS-builder

Well Known Member
Friend
Has anyone used wireless noise-cancelling headphones to listen to music in the shop? Did they block out background sounds from compressors, drills, and die grinders?

On the other hand, maybe not being able to hear a tool you're operating isn't such a good idea! :eek:

Perhaps just wearing a nice set of bluetooth headphones that aren't noise cancelling makes more sense.

If you've tried either type, how did it work out?

Thanks,

Bose

I?ve worn my Bose Quitecomfort 15 set in the shop consistently for the last 4 years for music, podcast, phone calls,etc. I could hear everything, but it dulled most back ground noise like the compressor, scotch bright wheel while breaking edges, filing, endless glass work when using power sanders, etc

For the noisy work it?s like flying, ANR reduces fatigue.

I tried them riveting, the noise over powered the ANR it wasn?t enough protection.

I have a pair of ear muffs from Harbor Freight with a microphone to hear around the passive sound suppression. It works well enough that my wife could be heard. Turn on the bandsaw or vac or rivet gun and it goes off.

Not suitable for quality hearing, just quality suppression.

I’ve had a pair that allow regular sounds until you reach a level of shop noise where the ANR kicks in - they are “OK”, but not great. Last Christmas, Louise gave me a pair of really great passive ear protectors that have blue tooth built in - so I link them with my phone and can listen to anything I want - and if she needs me, she just calls, and they become a phone headset. So far, I like it! I think they are by 3M, and she got them at Costco.

Paul

Has anyone used wireless noise-cancelling headphones to listen to music in the shop?

I wear Bose QC 20 earbuds in the shop most of the time. Not wireless, rechargeable. The battery+controller unit is tiny. They do very well with riveting, make an occasional loud popping noise when bandsawing extrusions.

I also wear them on XC portions of flights when I don't talk on the radio. They cancel piston airplane noise as well as aviation headsets.

Good fit to ear canal is critical for good cancellation, you have to try them on to see if they'd work well for you.

I have a pair of Beats X headphones that I originally got for running/biking/working out but I have been wearing them in the shop for some noise protecting. Wireless, Bluetooth earbuds. They come with different inserts for your ears in different sizes so you can get a comfortable fit.

https://www.beatsbydre.com/earphones/beats-x

Simply put, they're earplugs with speakers in them. Really, REALLY good speakers. They charge with a iPhone lightning plug charger and will last me about a week of use (maybe 15-20 hours?). I recommend them if you're a semi-audiophile such as myself. They sound great and are lightweight.

AND they have the volume buttons on them for quick volume change with a built in mic to answer phone calls on "when are you coming home from the airport?"

Last edited:
Back