What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new prop, major change, 8130-6... questions

jcaplins

Well Known Member
I'm putting on a new prop; going from ground adjustable to electric constant speed. My ops-limits say I need to fill out a new 8130-6, get concurrence from the FSDO about a test flight area, and go back into phase 1 for 5 hours.

There doesn't seem to be a check box on the 8130-6 that says "hey, I'm making a change here." I know the propeller builder and model designation will be different than the original form and the total airframe hours will be updated, Is there any change to the check boxes in section 2? This is from my initial application:

MQ1Ze368yNx5mDRBfLJf_bX45DmZY6HrUMC7YLSzTjz-6-kdsuYJjrky9leOmVSVnCk7H1ubp8TV5LJD-ONaVzx_9pXLZAzNUULDCZLVK9vOvNSrD8BG-DeuZSoKAmj7ML1Df2_Q2dLVoAOtE-EkOUMKaLV7A-Bf9JIG_dQtS9lf_L811xztYDoTgluixFj6ZzkI9pcZPjFk4zOpdXK9JbLz7MtI-mZdYiZuKogfLvJ7k8qA7Hj3X8gMQ1QGfI7ykkVg-qhcurw-iuO-AAU9Y8Gbhw5bSM3NejlWdITZdihZGfh4Bg1tq3q3EwR7sExCoC6kUJfHWQhyN01tntDVIelTk4PP4abfuaWCMstPfZJAuO-JkftGCegzx8wfhVqj4GQBEgLVnbMH5s_E6nN5soUUqT7QH38ZfNmQeDNJ7CgcV2oVAth5lN0niO1o-rGu4pvM-vQMVnTkeUBLY7dScQ1L1QHwRBIv4U2qH4OikYqW6ohgXLOGOzcqTV4RDBGrqXX-oLaZAfUiqjZH3Mnvl0czxsEKwBwwMjOmoQU9PyadqkZWbtffSOLQXrmvAuobVYQOHbGt1873uWN5c9DSSiuye19N4PJqUHKf2iXh97keccTSHVPm=w964-h486-no

What is the procedure to get concurrence? I'm in the same area and the test flight area should be the same. Do I need to send a copy of the flight test area and a note along with the 8130-6, or if I just mail in the form will they know what to do with it?

Hoping to send something off today or tomorrow in the hopes of getting everything I need back while I am out of town for the next couple weeks.

Thanks,

You will need to submit a new 8130-6 to your local FSDO as stated in your operating limitations. The new 8130-6 will update the aircraft file in Oklahoma City with the new prop data.

I did exactly as was stated in the post above pointing to post #17 in a previous thread. I called my FSDO, spoke with the inspector and that is exactly what he told me to do. I wrote a letter to him with my intentions, exactly what I was taking off, and what was going back on (3 blade Catto). Include serial numbers and any data off the old and new props. I asked for the same phase 1 area as my existing Op Lims. My op lims said nothing about a new 8130-6. I was able to email him the letter and got a verbal okay from him, but had to wait for the actual letter from him to arrive in the mail to include in my op lims. Phase 1 for 5 hours and logbook entries is all that is needed to finish.

Last edited:
My op lims said nothing about a new 8130-6.

Somewhere in you operating limitations there should be a statement that starts out, "After incorporating a major change.........If the change includes a different type of engine.............or a change of a fixed pitch from or to a controllable propeller, the owner must submit a revised FAA form 8130-6 to update the aircraft's file in the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch.........."

If your op lims don't have this statement, they were issued improperly.
This statement has been standard since around 2000.

A change from a F/P to F/P or C/S to C/S, does not require a new 8130-6.
It does, however, require a return to phase I.

Somewhere in you operating limitations there should be a statement that starts out, "After incorporating a major change.........If the change includes a different type of engine.............or a change of a fixed pitch from or to a controllable propeller, the owner must submit a revised FAA form 8130-6 to update the aircraft's file in the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch.........."

If your op lims don't have this statement, they were issued improperly.
This statement has been standard since around 2000.

A change from a F/P to F/P or C/S to C/S, does not require a new 8130-6.
It does, however, require a return to phase I.

My op lims do not have that statement. The FSDO was initially going to have me update them but after review, they decided to leave them as-is. Evidently it was right around the transition time of old to new.

Thanks everyone. I was hoping I wouldn't have to coordinate with anyone specifically at the fsdo, but that's what it looks like I have to do.
I left a message earlier today, we'll see if anyone ever calls me back.

Back