What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (March 1, 2016) Garmin aera 660 Portable GPS

olyolson said:
Finally got around to getting a Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 camera mounted to replace the GO Pro. I think Garmin has broken the code with this one. Why do I have comments here in the Aera 660 you ask? Because not only is the 660 an awesome and capable GPS, is has a VIRB button in the menu to control the VIRB camera.
Oh, great... Now I want another toy... :p I had problems with the battery life on my Stealth Drift camera too, the USB option sounds compelling. Now if I could get a USB jack up at the tip of the vertical stab where I mounted the Drift...

Rob,

Patiently awaiting Garmin to go one step further and have all this capability built into a 360 camera.........

Finally got around to getting a Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 camera mounted to replace the GO Pro. I think Garmin has broken the code with this one. Why do I have comments here in the Aera 660 you ask? Because not only is the 660 an awesome and capable GPS, is has a VIRB button in the menu to control the VIRB camera.

You are gonna love this- the best part is you can plug the camera into an onboard USB port and never have to worry about batteries again! I have mine plugged into a USB port for power, use Bluetooth from my headset to simultaneously record audio and stop and start recording with the 660 VIRB button. Don't know if the 660 shows a preview like you can get with the Garmin VIRB app on a phone but it does have Wifi so I'm going to try it and see. I can use the IPhone and Wifi with the app to see what the camera is recording though I don't know if you can do all this at once.

For those of you with a Go Pro, this was always my biggest complaint- the sh***y battery life. If I had an external audio source plugged in and tried to use Wifi (with the IPhone Go Pro app) as well, the battery would be lucky to last 20-30 minutes. And on top of that, the Wifi was very unstable and would kick off and the camera would freeze after only a couple minutes of use. If I didn't use the Wifi and pressed the record button before climbing in it would work fine but the battery never lasted more than 30-40 minutes.

Way to go Garmin- you hit this one out of the park. BTW- the video is much better than Go Pro in my opinion. Will try to get some video and post here on the forum soon.

Hello Oly,

Thanks for your kind feedback on the Virb Ultra 30.

For those that may not remember the Aera 660 camera control screenshot from earlier in this thread, here it is again.

VirbControl.jpg

Just a reminder for those with the GMA 245 audio panel. Not only does it have a USB power port that can be used to keep your camera powered, but it supports a Bluetooth audio link to the camera so it can record all of the audio you hear on the intercom including music, passenger conversations, and all radio tx/rx.

Front.jpg

To setup this audio link to the camera just press and hold the TEL button on the GMA 245 until the audio panel says "Pairing Enabled", go to the Wireless Bluetooth page on the Virb and select Add New, and touch the GMA 245 audio panel which it shows up in the list. Finally, go to the Virb main setup page and make sure that Microphone is set to "External". This setup only has to be done once.

We use a Virb Ultra 30 with audio link to the GMA 245 to record all of our test flights.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, can the 245 audio panel pair to the VIRB and your phone at the same time? Using an audio profile for the VIRB, and telephone profile for the phone?

Steve, can the 245 audio panel pair to the VIRB and your phone at the same time? Using an audio profile for the VIRB, and telephone profile for the phone?

Hello Rob,

The GMA 245 supports one Bluetooth connection at a time. If you want to make a phone call, it is pretty easy to move between the two uses. The GMA will remember both pairings, so it is just the connections to manage.

If you want a full time connection for phone/music to the audio panel, we recommend using the Virb headset adapter cable to the camera, which works by plugging into one of the 1/4" headset jacks in the plane.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve:
Thanks for all the help on my 660. I sent it to Kansas as instructed. I received a new one. I see it doing things the other one never did do. I think there was more going on with it than just the battery issue.

Thanks again. Garmin is good stuff, and GREAT customer service.:)

Hello,

If you are looking for another reason to own an Aera 660, here it is.

Effective Feb. 3, 2017, Garmin lowered the street price of the Aera 660 by $100 to $749, so it is even a better value than before.

PortraitMap15_7.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
So there are two things that I miss from my old 496 not available in the 660.

Customizable Voltage Alarm: A wonderful way to monitor bus voltage of my aircraft and set an alarm that will pop up if my alternator drops off line. WOW, this was a nice feature that I realllllly miss! Maybe you could include this information in the Top Row title bar of the 660 near the Green Battery status bar??

M8vIuoP.jpg

Position Data Page: Provided a place to put all sorts of handy and customizable "nice to know" items. The only way to access these things in the 660 currently is to change the data fields on the map page. Even the little Edge 500 series bike computers allow you to set up custom page data fields.

xozF1P9.jpg

I been very pleased with the usability and capability of the 660, especially the ability to push flight plans from Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight via bluetooth. I also have been impressed with how many improvements Garmin has made to the software in the first few months of the 660! Keep it up!

Matt

P.S. I'm away from my 660 at the moment and haven't been able to try the latest firmware.

So there are two things that I miss from my old 496 not available in the 660.

Customizable Voltage Alarm: A wonderful way to monitor bus voltage of my aircraft and set an alarm that will pop up if my alternator drops off line. WOW, this was a nice feature that I realllllly miss! Maybe you could include this information in the Top Row title bar of the 660 near the Green Battery status bar??

Position Data Page: Provided a place to put all sorts of handy and customizable "nice to know" items. The only way to access these things in the 660 currently is to change the data fields on the map page. Even the little Edge 500 series bike computers allow you to set up custom page data fields.

I been very pleased with the usability and capability of the 660, especially the ability to push flight plans from Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight via bluetooth. I also have been impressed with how many improvements Garmin has made to the software in the first few months of the 660! Keep it up!

Matt

P.S. I'm away from my 660 at the moment and haven't been able to try the latest firmware.

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your feedback and for purchasing an Aera 660!

The unit does have an alarm page with a few things like a reminder to switch tanks, but no voltage alarm. We will keep that in mind.

We expanded the number of data fields which may be overlaid on the map from 4 to 8 to accommodate additional data fields, and you can assign most of the same fields you show in your example including sunset, sunrise, fuel timer, flight timer, etc, but we will also consider a separate numbers page.

FiPjo8Xoq6PJqnDbDQ_6c3INFVkRW5eH-c8RqDfNGS_jDR2qfdP6DCYFpMIYrfngjaY2yLo7znOYK08lMefYu72Meq5RTre1oBLVburdV-tEQ_qXFScclDGwdfYVMpbq67Wn9nYZpor7H_qGd_eElavDDIAvZo1WGsdKna70sf0j2GGs7BWuO0iPsLXYAwLx6g5XS-mwkHiktz4Wc99i_SL_9awmLorhohxvUTEzb4IKoMRLxDMIRcDo8PymkLNplyIWuYOJFl1WmmFnyhytHD9o3ggQX9AaCkcshUxtJYE43YTq2iHLQoI7H4Xi6Dq6ive7jsz_BPShMbl7WEt2zTcSEbYFjwrOJ8f324aBt0ZTLFi8KRToACN06taUYmBFUrM_KFeK6Ng5I7PsQKIrzDSFQ3oDjYMoFCKZI89hU7L7U-f_JwHeUtrh02R6gIw1jN_DZj7WosDF5fMTcSkT3Coqvg1iYo3ZthIl6ZiEdHRf64-kphTiTugdIjeg09v6N-2KojUZFC9FGL7LhKvbsSDyb8UAk4WikDTvX8xZ3Zgba42V6upGxAfnmCrLUTIy3cy7LrXFPl_sCUbot7-SWcSxtN6Dz7pg5hhIVkE2X8LJVv74=w467-h754-no

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

I do like those additional data fields!! Very nice. Maybe you could put a little voltage indicator instead of the lightning bolt/plug icon. ;-)

-Matt

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your feedback and for purchasing an Aera 660!

The unit does have an alarm page with a few things like a reminder to switch tanks, but no voltage alarm. We will keep that in mind.

We expanded the number of data fields which may be overlaid on the map from 4 to 8 to accommodate additional data fields, and you can assign most of the same fields you show in your example including sunset, sunrise, fuel timer, flight timer, etc, but we will also consider a separate numbers page.

FiPjo8Xoq6PJqnDbDQ_6c3INFVkRW5eH-c8RqDfNGS_jDR2qfdP6DCYFpMIYrfngjaY2yLo7znOYK08lMefYu72Meq5RTre1oBLVburdV-tEQ_qXFScclDGwdfYVMpbq67Wn9nYZpor7H_qGd_eElavDDIAvZo1WGsdKna70sf0j2GGs7BWuO0iPsLXYAwLx6g5XS-mwkHiktz4Wc99i_SL_9awmLorhohxvUTEzb4IKoMRLxDMIRcDo8PymkLNplyIWuYOJFl1WmmFnyhytHD9o3ggQX9AaCkcshUxtJYE43YTq2iHLQoI7H4Xi6Dq6ive7jsz_BPShMbl7WEt2zTcSEbYFjwrOJ8f324aBt0ZTLFi8KRToACN06taUYmBFUrM_KFeK6Ng5I7PsQKIrzDSFQ3oDjYMoFCKZI89hU7L7U-f_JwHeUtrh02R6gIw1jN_DZj7WosDF5fMTcSkT3Coqvg1iYo3ZthIl6ZiEdHRf64-kphTiTugdIjeg09v6N-2KojUZFC9FGL7LhKvbsSDyb8UAk4WikDTvX8xZ3Zgba42V6upGxAfnmCrLUTIy3cy7LrXFPl_sCUbot7-SWcSxtN6Dz7pg5hhIVkE2X8LJVv74=w467-h754-no

Thanks,
Steve

When were the additional data fields added?

When were the additional data fields added?

Have you updated your software to version 2.9. Also read back on this thread and it is discussed. ;)

Last edited:
Aera 660

Ref Matt's post above-

"I been very pleased with the usability and capability of the 660, especially the ability to push flight plans from Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight via bluetooth."

You can push flight plans from Garmin Pilot to the 660? How do I do that??

Seems to me that the 660 is as fully featured.
Drives an AP.
ADSB weather and traffic.
etc..

so.. why go with the 796 over the 660 for VFR only flight?

I went with the 660 because it's smaller and for me it fits better in the panel of my RV-8. It also cost less and they just did a price drop. It pairs really nicely with my GTX 345 transponder.

A friend has the 796 in his RV-6 and it's a nice fit. Both are great.

so.. why go with the 796 over the 660 for VFR only flight?
Maybe if you just want the larger screen, and have the space in your panel?

Another way to think about it, if you'd chose a full-size iPad over an iPad-Mini, maybe the 796 would be a good choice? Not that the 796 is *quite* as large as an iPad, mind you.

It's worth pointing out that for the screen size, the 660 really is quite compact, and with the high screen resolution it puts a lot of info in view. With the capacitive touchscreen, panning/zooming around the display to look at the map occasionally is so fast and convenient that I don't miss not having a larger screen.

Having flown behind a 796 that was hard wired and mounted on my panel, if your eyes will tolerate it, the 660 is a better in a few ways,
The 660 screen is brighter.
Even though the 796 is touch screen it doesn't work that well(old technology). You have to touch it very positively in flight, not like a iPad or iPhone.
However the 660 touch feature is just like an iPhone or iPad.
The 796 has XM weather and music capability.
Currently the 660 does no not have XM capability, however I think by the end of 2017 there will be a antenna that you will be able to bluetooth to it to have XM.
They just dropped the price on the 660 to $749, darn I paid $800 at OSH 2016.:p
The 796 is about $2000 on Amazon.
I betcha that XM antenna for the 660 will be $300.:eek:
The 660 is way easier to update. Just hook to wifi and it will find the update if it needs one. McDonalds here I come! Sweet!:D
The 796 has to be hooked to a computer via USB.:rolleyes:
The menus in the 660 are similar to the newer GTN 650 and 750 Navigators so when you upgrade you will feel right at home.:cool:

But in the end its all up to you the pilot. I suggest checking them out at a show near you like OSH 2017 or Sun & Fun coming in April.;)

Can the Aera 660 be charged at home with a mains power charger?
I have an earlier aera 500 and find that it can only charge battery at home if I use a mains to 12 volt power supply and connect that to the yolk mount with the cig lighter cable!
I don't want to take all that paraphernalia with me a trip I am planning in an aircraft with no 12 volt outlet in cabin, so will have to rely on charging aera 660 in hotel room.
John

Can the Aera 660 be charged at home with a mains power charger?
I have an earlier aera 500 and find that it can only charge battery at home if I use a mains to 12 volt power supply and connect that to the yolk mount with the cig lighter cable!
I don't want to take all that paraphernalia with me a trip I am planning in an aircraft with no 12 volt outlet in cabin, so will have to rely on charging aera 660 in hotel room.
John

Hello John,

The Aera 660 comes with a 2 Amp wall charger that you can use to charge the unit through the USB port.

It also comes with a USB cable that can be used with many USB chargers commonly used for other devices.

Either solution should be convenient to use when traveling.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello John,

The Aera 660 comes with a 2 Amp wall charger that you can use to charge the unit through the USB port.

It also comes with a USB cable that can be used with many USB chargers commonly used for other devices.

Either solution should be convenient to use when traveling.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve
Thanks for the prompt reply - much appreciated.

I tried digging through this thread and online, but came up unsure still.

Is it possible to transfer flight plans using Foreflight and the 660 or is this only supported with Garmin Pilot?

Thanks!

Area660 and Trig TY91

Hello Steve,

I use a Trig TY91 VHF radio in my plane and would like to transfer via SL40 protocol the frequency data to the radio.
COM1 TX an RX of the area 660 is through the bare out wired cable with the TC90 control head RS232 pins connected.

On COM1 I have set:
Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out: Receives aviation data and transmits out both NMEA data, at 9600 baud, and VHF frequency tuning information to a Garmin Nav/Comm radio.

I press on the frequency tab the button but unfortunately it doesn't work. Do you know what is wrong or what I have to setup?

Best regards
gFlyer

Hello Steve,

I use a Trig TY91 VHF radio in my plane and would like to transfer via SL40 protocol the frequency data to the radio.
COM1 TX an RX of the area 660 is through the bare out wired cable with the TC90 control head RS232 pins connected.

On COM1 I have set:
Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out: Receives aviation data and transmits out both NMEA data, at 9600 baud, and VHF frequency tuning information to a Garmin Nav/Comm radio.

I press on the frequency tab the button but unfortunately it doesn't work. Do you know what is wrong or what I have to setup?

Best regards
gFlyer

Hello gFlyer,

We don't know if this radio supports the SL40 protocol or not, but regardless, you would only need to connect the transmit wire and ground from the Aera 660 because that radio doesn't transmit Aviation format.

The Aera 660 supports Fast (1 Hz) and Normal (0.5 Hz), both at 9600 baud, so you might try both speeds in case the radio requires one or the other.

Are you sure you have the Tx from the Aera 660 connected to the Rx on the radio? Are they sharing a common power ground?

Thanks,
Steve

Glide Range Ring

Does the Garmin Aera 660 have a "Glide Range Ring" function like that found in the G3X?

Thanks,

Hello gFlyer,

We don't know if this radio supports the SL40 protocol or not, but regardless, you would only need to connect the transmit wire and ground from the Aera 660 because that radio doesn't transmit Aviation format.

The Aera 660 supports Fast (1 Hz) and Normal (0.5 Hz), both at 9600 baud, so you might try both speeds in case the radio requires one or the other.

Are you sure you have the Tx from the Aera 660 connected to the Rx on the radio? Are they sharing a common power ground?

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve for quick response. Think wireing is okay but I will check again.

Best regards
GFlyer

In aera 660, if I power it by a usb power bank.
I have read a user review that says "Cons: Will dim to max 70% brightness when running of a power bank, yet 100% brightness off a wall charger or powered usb socket."
Can anyone confirm that is the case, and can the aera 660 be made to run at 100% brightness if powered by a usb power bank?

Edit - Seems not to be an issue - see post 446 next page.

Last edited:
In aera 660, if I power it by a usb power bank.
I have read a user review that says "Cons: Will dim to max 70% brightness when running of a power bank, yet 100% brightness off a wall charger or powered usb socket."
Can anyone confirm that is the case, and can the aera 660 be made to run at 100% brightness if powered by a usb power bank?

Hello rjtjrt,

The Aera 660 will dim the backlight down to 70% when it detects it has been plugged into the USB port on a computer to protect that device from sourcing more power than it can safely handle, but we are not aware of any reason why it would behave in this manner when connected to a power pack.

We did a quick test with a USB power pack and the backlight did not reduce from 100%.

Thanks,
Steve

The Aera 660 will dim the backlight down to 70% when it detects it has been plugged into the USB port on a computer to protect that device from sourcing more power than it can safely handle, but we are not aware of any reason why it would behave in this manner when connected to a power pack.

We did a quick test with a USB power pack and the backlight did not reduce from 100%.

Steve, does the GPS lock the brightness at 70% when you plug into a computer, or can you override it back to 100% if you want to?

Maybe the USB port on the powerpack "looks like" a computer to the GPS, for whatever reason... I know Apple and others have done funny things to their USB interfaces that affect how they identify when plugged into various devices... Making branded chargers work better than chinese knock-offs.
Charger and powerpack manufacturers are now using some "intelligence" in their charging circuits to try and counteract that.

Hello rjtjrt,

Thanks,
Steve
I have just bought a 660 and tried it on USB powerbank with no problems. Stayed at 100% brightness.
As Steve said, on a computer supplies usb power it does dim to 70%, but on a USB Powerbank stayed at 100% brightness.
Seems like the review I quoted (from another person on another site) is not an problem.
After briefly trying it at home and in car, the Aera 660 seems to be a good unit. I will use it as a backup for an iPad (which can overheat and stut down on hot days in sun here), and as the iPad app here in Australia will display our charts, but Garmin equipment won't display our charts.
660 is good as I can set it to shut off display after 1 or 2 minutes to conserve battery, and the display will return at 100% brightness instantly I touch the screen, so a good backup for iPad.

Last edited:
Aera 660 Enroute Charts Data Fields.

I Just Bought a Garmin Aera 660 at Sun N Fun, so far i like the unit, good screen visibility even in sunshine.

One of my surprise is that is not compatible with the Stratus that i already have. IF i want ADBS IN i would have to buy a garmin GDL393D.

In the Enroute Chart page you cannot add data fields, like (GS, ETE. ETA, ETC).
Hope garmin fix this on the next updated.

WP.

In the Enroute Chart page you cannot add data fields, like (GS, ETE. ETA, ETC).
Hope garmin fix this on the next updated.
WP.

Really? Wow, that's a deal killer. I was seriously considering updating my standby GPS navigator from its current 396 hardware to the 660. Without the data boxes the 660 is pretty much useless for enroute navigation. Those data boxes are THE key information used in answering the worlds most essential aviation question. "How long until we get to a bathroom?":D

I just looked at pic on very first post

and saw ETA, ETE, etc on the map page. Was this what you were missing?

Ron

Having read back through some of these posts it appears there may exist the capacity to add up to 8 data boxes. Whew! I couldn't believe a GPS device like this wouldn't have data boxes available.

Aera 660

Contact Garmin today , they toll me they will pas the requirment to see if is possible to include in a future updated. Pilots fly with charts, charts without data fields are useless.
I think if we all ask for it Garmin will listen. They always listen!!!!

I have include to pictures (MAP PAGE and CHART PAGE ) to clarify my point.
By the way first time posting pictures hope it works.
ki28nvEU2wCjnLpY9

FWIW, i've been flying with both the Map page and the Charts page. I switch back and forth, but for the most part I leave it on the Charts page. Most of my flying is local VFR around familiar airports and terrain though. If I were travelling, I would probably want to use the Map page instead with the extra data fields.

Glide rings

To add to a previous post, doesn't seem to be a glide ring option on the 660. I usually have an IPhone 6 onboard for music and always run Garmin Pilot in the background. Garmin Pilot does have glide rings so curious why the 660 doesn't support this. Seems like an easy fix.

Iphone/Garmin Pilot settings screenshot:

2371y1.jpg

Thanks for the clarification re charts/maps. Without question, I fly using the chart view.

Not having the data boxes shown on the charts page is definitely a significant shortcoming.

I understand how the charts and maps are derived electronically, however superimposing ANYTHING on either one of them is the same task - drawing a data box on a chart is no more difficult than drawing the magenta line on that chart, so it's definitely not a rocket-science activity to make the data boxes appear on the chart page.

Now we just have to hope that Garmin listens...

Very, very pleased with my 660. In use now about a year. It drives my autopilot, wired to my GDL39, and Bluetooths to my handheld Pilot app. I use Map (IFR and VFR) 95% of the time. I use the 3D Vision page 4.99% of the time playing and helping visualize approaching airports.

The remaining 0.01% of the time, I use Charts. Generally just cycling though options to try and remember what all the unit does. I did once use Charts to find an RCO frequency on a sectional. I'm sure there's an easier way. Garmin synthesized Maps are a huge leap forward. I'll never go back to charts for position reference.

Last edited:
Bug or Feature??

So I've run into a little snag. I think it may be a bug.

When switching between LANDSCAPE or PORTRAIT display mode on my 660, all of the user parameters reset back to default. The first time I discovered this I was in the air and it was a bit confusing trying to figure out why everything had suddenly reset. Then after a couple of "sim sessions" on the ground trying to decide between portrait or landscape mode I discovered that it was resetting each time I swapped between modes. Anybody else have a similar experience??

-Matt

So I've run into a little snag. I think it may be a bug.

When switching between LANDSCAPE or PORTRAIT display mode on my 660, all of the user parameters reset back to default. The first time I discovered this I was in the air and it was a bit confusing trying to figure out why everything had suddenly reset. Then after a couple of "sim sessions" on the ground trying to decide between portrait or landscape mode I discovered that it was resetting each time I swapped between modes. Anybody else have a similar experience??

-Matt

Hello Matt,

No, changing between portrait and landscape modes doesn't reset the user parameters back to default.

If you are putting the unit in GPS simulator mode, then ALSO launching the canned Demo from the Tools page, this will force many settings to specific values to support that canned Demo. Don't do that if you don't want any of your choices changed.

Thanks,
Steve

Aera 660 Bluetooth

Ref Bryan's post above:

"Bluetooths to my handheld Pilot app". I have been using my IPhone (backup) running the Garmin Pilot App and Bluetooth to the GDL 39 3D. At times the Bluetooth signal is lost. My IPhone is in the front cockpit and the GDL is on the aft trurtledeck behind the back seat on top of the fuselage (inside the canopy).

The 660 is within a foot of the IPhone so perhaps I should Bluetooth the phone to the 660?

The 660 is hardwired to the GDL 39 3D.

Last edited:
Back