What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (March 1, 2016) Garmin aera 660 Portable GPS

Sound??

Steve,

Wired the new 660 into the system - GDL39 connected, D100 connected, audio mixer connected to intercom. All seems to be OK, except audio. Double checked the wiring. It's correct. Audio from Dynon and radio work. Removed 660, and no sound from the unit removed from the panel. I've been thought the Tools, Setup, Sound menu multiple times. Read the manual many times. Enabled key tone. Nothing. Simulated navigating to a waypoint in the car. Nothing. Simulation mode flying though a mountain with terrain alerts enabled. Nothing.

(Tried Called Garmin Aviation support - 45 minute wait...)

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

We are pleased to announce Garmin's newest aviation portable GPS, the aera 660. The aera 660 is a cost-effective, feature-rich, purpose-built aviation portable. The compact 5-inch capacitive touchscreen boasts a bright, sunlight readable display complete with rich, interactive maps and a built-in GPS/GLONASS receiver that can be viewed in portrait or landscape modes for optimum customization. The aera 660 is available later this month at a street price of $849.

Portrait3DVisionVNAV.jpg
PortraitMap15_7.jpg

lf-lg.jpg

WiFi Database Downloads
One of the most exciting new features of the aera 660 is the built-in WiFi interface which allows the aera 660 to connect to FlyGarmin and easily keep your databases up to date. Just add the aera 660 to your FlyGarmin account, and any purchased databases are immediately available for download. It is not even necessary to enter your FlyGarmin user name and password into the aera 660 because it uses the unit serial number to identify you to FlyGarmin.

WifiSetupPortrait.jpg
WifiDownloadPortraitwithProgress.jpg

New Low Cost Database Options
The new Garmin Navigation Database available for North America offers a cost-effective path to incorporate the latest navigation information into the aera 660. The new Garmin Navigation Database starts at $29.95 for a single update. A variety of cost-effective annual bundles are also available such as the U.S bundle for $149.95, which includes the Garmin Navigation Database (including instrument approaches), FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, Terrain, Obstacles, SafeTaxi and the AOPA Airport Directory with fuel prices. For worldwide coverage, Jeppesen NavData is also available for purchase. A European bundle with basemap enhancements specific to Europe is also available.

The airport directory database which incorporates the latest U.S. fuel price data is updated each day before noon (CST), and can be downloaded over WiFi in less than a minute. Navigation database updates can also be updated in less than a minute over WiFi.

FuelPricesAOPAPortrait.jpg
FuelPricesMapPortrait.jpg

Integrate with your panel
Using the supplied four screws, attach the bare wire powered mount to your instrument panel and use power, audio, and dual RS-232 communication wiring to connect the aera 660 to various systems such as:
1. Aircraft power (14V or 28V aircraft systems) The battery is always fully charged should you have an alternator failure and need to use the aera 660 on battery in flight.
2. Audio ? The aera 660 will provide terrain, obstacle, and optionally traffic alerts to your aircraft audio system
3. RS-232 ? connect to Garmin SL 30, SL 40, GTR 225, GTR 200, or GNC 255 COM radios to send communication frequencies from the aera 660 navigation database
4. RS-232 ? connect to a Garmin GTX 345 ADS-B transponder or GDL 39/39R ADS-B receiver to display free ADS-B traffic and weather
5. RS-232 ? connect to a GNS or GTN navigator to receive and synchronize the flight plan in the aera 660 with the GNS/GTN unit.
6. RS-232 ? connect to a Mode S transponder with TIS-A traffic to display this type of traffic.
7. RS-232 ? connect to an autopilot or other device that requires NMEA data.

The aera 660 quickly snaps in/out of the powered panel mount to allow you to easily take it with you when not flying.

cf-lg.jpg

ADS-B Traffic and Weather
When using wires or Bluetooth to connect to the GTX 345, Flight Stream 110/210, or the GDL 39/39R/39 3D, ADS-B traffic and weather is displayed on the aera 660. ADS-B traffic information may be viewed on the moving map, chart and dedicated traffic pages, which also leverages patent-pending features such as TargetTrend? and TerminalTraffic?. Traffic trajectories and potential conflicts are easier to identify with TargetTrend, which incorporates relative motion technology to help pilots visualize the future position of nearby traffic targets relative to the aircraft.

Using the aera 660 as the ADS-B traffic and weather display for a GTX 345 transponder with built-in ADS-B receiver is particularly effective. Wire up the GTX and optional traffic/terrain/obstacle alert audio, and you can have a great navigator with ADS-B traffic and weather. The GTX 345 has 4 serial ports, so there is plenty of opportunity to implement a high reliability, no-fuss interface. The aera 660 is 5.5" wide x 3.4" tall, so it easily fits in an area on your radio stack above the GTX 345 if you choose.

796_660_GTX345_Wiring.png

GTX345Angle.jpg

Continued in next posting - 10 picture limit!

Can I use the 795/796 for same ADS-B Out installation?

Steve,

Wired the new 660 into the system - GDL39 connected, D100 connected, audio mixer connected to intercom. All seems to be OK, except audio. Double checked the wiring. It's correct. Audio from Dynon and radio work. Removed 660, and no sound from the unit removed from the panel. I've been thought the Tools, Setup, Sound menu multiple times. Read the manual many times. Enabled key tone. Nothing. Simulated navigating to a waypoint in the car. Nothing. Simulation mode flying though a mountain with terrain alerts enabled. Nothing.

(Tried Called Garmin Aviation support - 45 minute wait...)

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Hello Bryon,

When you say "no sound from the unit removed from the panel", did you connect anything to the audio output during this test? There is no built-in speaker because that would have no value in an airplane.

Please plug a set of ear buds into the 3.5 mm stereo audio jack provided on the CLA mount cable that came with the unit, go to the sound page, and adjust the Master or Alert volume and optionally turn on the key tones. You should get an ear full doing that.

You might want to contact us via [email protected].

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Bryon,

When you say "no sound from the unit removed from the panel", did you connect anything to the audio output during this test? There is no built-in speaker because that would have no value in an airplane.

Please plug a set of ear buds into the 3.5 mm stereo audio jack provided on the CLA mount cable that came with the unit, go to the sound page, and adjust the Master or Alert volume and optionally turn on the key tones. You should get an ear full doing that.

You might want to contact us via [email protected].

Thanks,
Steve
Will do, thanks! Did not realize the unit didn't have its own little speaker.

Can I use the 795/796 for same ADS-B Out installation?

796_660_GTX345_Wiring.png

Hello Mitch,

Not sure we understand your question, but if you are asking if the aera 795/796 can be wired to a GTX 345 the same as an aera 660, yes it can.

You will notice that the 795/796 is also shown in the above drawing. Same wire colors and everything.

Thanks,
Steve

Garmin Navigation Database

Any updates on if and when this might be available for the Garmin G3X (non touch) Please be soon :)
------------
Our database team continues to expand our data sources and offerings and we are pleased to be able to offer very complete Canadian database coverage including the new Garmin Navigation Database which covers Alaska, Canada, the Continental USA, and Latin America.
------------

Hello Mooniac,

If you don't mind, please email us the results. We have a question or two to ask depending on the results.

Thanks,
Steve

Finally got to test fly it with the serial port disabled and no luck, it still tried to push the flight plan it received from the GTN back to it.

Finally got to test fly it with the serial port disabled and no luck, it still tried to push the flight plan it received from the GTN back to it.

Hello Mooniac,

We did some testing to try to reproduce your report. This comment in your original posting led us to the answer. "it gets to the 660 and then sometime later I get a message on the GTN that there is an inbound flightplan"

The "sometime later" part is the key. The aera 660 is not re-sending the changed flight plan that it receives over the serial port (as you confirmed by disabling the serial port).

The behavior of the FlightStream 210 is to attempt to re-sync everything each time a new connection is made, and we can reproduce your reported issue by breaking/making the Bluetooth connection between the FS210 and the aera 660. It is possible this BT connection is not very robust due to the location of the two devices in your aircraft.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Mooniac,

We did some testing to try to reproduce your report. This comment in your original posting led us to the answer. "it gets to the 660 and then sometime later I get a message on the GTN that there is an inbound flightplan"

The "sometime later" part is the key. The aera 660 is not re-sending the changed flight plan that it receives over the serial port (as you confirmed by disabling the serial port).

The behavior of the FlightStream 210 is to attempt to re-sync everything each time a new connection is made, and we can reproduce your reported issue by breaking/making the Bluetooth connection between the FS210 and the aera 660. It is possible this BT connection is not very robust due to the location of the two devices in your aircraft.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

I understand what you are saying but why is the aera trying to re-sync the flight plan when I have it set to only send the flight plan with user action? I have a friend who is experiencing the same issue with his 796 with the latest firmware. I would like the aera to behave like Garmin Pilot where I can always receive the flight plan from the FS210 but only send it when I manually push it. This is quite annoying otherwise since I get the message a couple of times on each flight and then I need to go and delete the flight plan from the GTNs otherwise they mess up my catalog with garbage entries at the top.

Also, how do I determine if this is really the cause as I have never noticed a BT disconnect on my Garmin Pilot?

Thanks!

Steve,

I would buy one of these Aera 660's today to replace my GPSMAP 696 if I were assured compatibility with my existing usb connected GXM 40 XM weather/music antenna. It would be a great form factor for my panel. However, if the Aera 660 unit will require some sort of new proprietary SXM antenna hardware I refuse to tear apart my interior to merely placate the new antenna. It was bad enough swapping from the original 496's GXM 30A antenna to the GXM 40. I will not do it again. My alternative would be a 796 but I don't see the bang for the buck or form factor advantage to warrant the change fromr my 696.

Another question would be if the Aera 660 could interface with the G5 standby instrument to depict attitude using the G5's AHRS as a source.

Jim

Hello,

In case you didn't see this in the G5 Electronic Flight Instrument thread, we just wanted to mention that the aera 660 makes an excellent navigator for a small system with a G5, GMC 307 autopilot control panel, and servos. You can even fly coupled VNAV descents to pattern altitude with the aera 660 connected to the G5.

_n0hrI0JD3xBvSdaDj-dBXkx5dO21gA2nKdE22TUNdo70h4zziNmmoz5bbJruUhZFOsjxj-HCti8DY_WGEim87a7gnR7FQq-TTsAGe5rOnG3Ska2kFtmCdRbV7kq-0QEM6n75zBrLb9nlx5FNY3LhZIrvBMVKKXgxeBlK_oNoRaAQHyH22YYUUR3BIwMuWxkpgfxSZBjpWuj6csu8e7oYplLKlu6iA0DAjbLS7WFcOjNMlz9iAEu6WJATbj8vhCZ3ls7Tl9s4dAdMGkr6syGsSrP865bHBKAo2MCwQ1coeH-g7JCuQiYquK4F1vvxmhpD3XGahzK18fzVaHC-pF5i8SLID8jBQ-LdyqDufSjjB5aOLVfMsc8JUoPj1rZuhdbd32-8bGoz_VIUgv8M39E2T8SGXNvSXwqwsyFzWOaN7EhFsmJJLtItkzE64I8n4lQc4jLxCMnDhuDzR1Ggsl5AWsamY0J2PwEzjmX6cyFE3S_rjQt6aHNY8yefIOSc_Dy9OZ_t1-909iM6_igY6au3evMclWefbfl29YhNLmfa8jFtwq3TrQBpDOH5ud6xk2EuqDh=w624-h510-no

Thanks,
Steve

Questions.

1. I have a Garmin 430W. If I add the G5 and Aera 660 using the optional data cable, will the 430W push flight plans to the G5 and 660?

2. Will the 660 push flight plans in the opposite direction to the G5 > 430W or is a Flight Stream required?

* Note: I just purchased and will be installing a Garmin GTX 345 in case that makes a difference to the above questions.

Maybe this was answered already? Is so, I didn't see it.

Thank you,

Last edited:
Steve,

I would buy one of these Aera 660's today to replace my GPSMAP 696 if I were assured compatibility with my existing usb connected GXM 40 XM weather/music antenna. It would be a great form factor for my panel. However, if the Aera 660 unit will require some sort of new proprietary SXM antenna hardware I refuse to tear apart my interior to merely placate the new antenna. It was bad enough swapping from the original 496's GXM 30A antenna to the GXM 40. I will not do it again. My alternative would be a 796 but I don't see the bang for the buck or form factor advantage to warrant the change fromr my 696.

Another question would be if the Aera 660 could interface with the G5 standby instrument to depict attitude using the G5's AHRS as a source.

Jim

Hello Jim,

Thank you for considering the aera 660, but we can't provide assurance that the aera 660 will ever work with a GXM40.

The G5 doesn't provide attitude data to devices connected via the serial port.

Thanks,
Steve

Questions.

1. I have a Garmin 430W. If I add the G5 and Aera 660 using the optional data cable, will the 430W push flight plans to the G5 and 660?

2. Will the 660 push flight plans in the opposite direction to the G5 > 430W or is a Flight Stream required?

* Note: I just purchased and will be installing a Garmin GTX 345 in case that makes a difference to the above questions.

Maybe this was answered already? Is so, I didn't see it.

Thank you,

Hello Charlie,

A GNS 430W serial output configured for "Aviation" will continuously send the flight plan to an aera 660 with a serial input configured for "Aviation In".

The G5 can display basic VFR navigation data from a GNS 430W or any other Garmin IFR GPS via its RS-232 input, and can display IFR lateral and vertical deviation when used with the GAD 29 ARINC 429 adapter.

Keep in mind that a G5 supports a single navigator, so if you had both a GNS 430W and an aera 660, you would need to decide which would be connected to the G5 and provide navigation data.

A Flight Stream would be required to push flight plans from the aera 660 to the GNS 430W.

As explained above, the aera 660 makes a great ADS-B traffic and weather display when connected to one of the 4 serial ports on the GTX 345. This wiring is explained in the aera 660 manual.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Charlie,

A GNS 430W serial output configured for "Aviation" will continuously send the flight plan to an aera 660 with a serial input configured for "Aviation In".

The G5 can display basic VFR navigation data from a GNS 430W or any other Garmin IFR GPS via its RS-232 input, and can display IFR lateral and vertical deviation when used with the GAD 29 ARINC 429 adapter.

Keep in mind that a G5 supports a single navigator, so if you had both a GNS 430W and an aera 660, you would need to decide which would be connected to the G5 and provide navigation data.

A Flight Stream would be required to push flight plans from the aera 660 to the GNS 430W.

As explained above, the aera 660 makes a great ADS-B traffic and weather display when connected to one of the 4 serial ports on the GTX 345. This wiring is explained in the aera 660 manual.

Thanks,
Steve

Thank you.

How to Update the unit

Hi Steve,

have tried update my area 660 with version 2.30 to the current. I followed the instructions.txt. Download, entranced, copy GARMIN folder to a FAT32 formatted Micro SD card.
Than connect the unit to power and inserted the SD card, but there is no prompt to confirm the update.

What to do next?

Regards
gFlyer

Aviation Mount with Bare Wires (aera? 660)

Hi Steve,

When I cut the cable which is coming with the unit, does this cable has the same number of wires and colours than the spare part "Aviation Mount with Bare Wires (aera? 660)" ?

Thanks
gFlyer

If it's like the Aera 500 series, the cigarette-lighter cable that comes with the unit does not have the same wiring. It leaves out the data lines, because you don't need those if you're just plugging into a cigarette lighter outlet for power.

Hi Steve,

have tried update my area 660 with version 2.30 to the current. I followed the instructions.txt. Download, entranced, copy GARMIN folder to a FAT32 formatted Micro SD card.
Than connect the unit to power and inserted the SD card, but there is no prompt to confirm the update.

What to do next?

Regards
gFlyer

Hello gFlyer,

Rather than post questions here and go back and forth to try to assist you using forum postings, it would be much more efficient to contact us via email or phone as shown below. It should be easy to get you updated.

Thanks,
Steve

To gFlyer...

I went through this two weeks ago with the same results. I ended up calling Garmin support.

The first thing they told me was to not use the micro sd card to update the software, but to use the direct cable attach between the 660 and the USB port on the computer. This method worked. And I was told it was faster than the wifi approach.

With Support still on the phone, we tried to update the databases for the 660. This did not go smoothly, Support stayed with me for an additional hour, and we finally got the download to work. Turns out I was havIng problems with my computer and MS 10. Went to another computer and all started working as expected. The database up date took about 40 minutes.

I was very happy with my very patient Garmin support expert.

Hi Steve,

When I cut the cable which is coming with the unit, does this cable has the same number of wires and colours than the spare part "Aviation Mount with Bare Wires (aera? 660)" ?

Thanks
gFlyer

Hello gFlyer,

The cable which comes with the unit doesn't include wires it doesn't need, so for example it does not include any wires for the two serial ports.

You will want to obtain the bare wire cable rather than cut up this purpose built cable.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

I understand what you are saying but why is the aera trying to re-sync the flight plan when I have it set to only send the flight plan with user action? I have a friend who is experiencing the same issue with his 796 with the latest firmware. I would like the aera to behave like Garmin Pilot where I can always receive the flight plan from the FS210 but only send it when I manually push it. This is quite annoying otherwise since I get the message a couple of times on each flight and then I need to go and delete the flight plan from the GTNs otherwise they mess up my catalog with garbage entries at the top.

Also, how do I determine if this is really the cause as I have never noticed a BT disconnect on my Garmin Pilot?

Thanks!

Steve,

Sorry to keep this one going but it would be great to have a way to just disable BT flightplan transfer because sometimes you want to have a different flightplan on the portable than the one in the GTNs. How should that be handled?

Thanks!

Steve,

Sorry to keep this one going but it would be great to have a way to just disable BT flightplan transfer because sometimes you want to have a different flightplan on the portable than the one in the GTNs. How should that be handled?

Thanks!

Hello Mooniac,

There are a couple of ways to achieve this. One, simply turn off the BT and keep them isolated in that way.

Second, go to the Tools, Setup, Connext page and you have configuration choices for both Incoming and Outgoing flight plans.

Set the Incoming Flight Plan Mode to "No Transfer" and the Outgoing Flight Plan Mode to "Require Action", and the two systems will retain separate flight plans unless you specifically touch the Connext button on the flight plan page and select Send FPL or Load FPL to manually force a sync.

This guidance assumes you are using V2.50 software on the aera 660.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Hello Mooniac,

There are a couple of ways to achieve this. One, simply turn off the BT and keep them isolated in that way.

Second, go to the Tools, Setup, Connext page and you have configuration choices for both Incoming and Outgoing flight plans.

Set the Incoming Flight Plan Mode to "No Transfer" and the Outgoing Flight Plan Mode to "Require Action", and the two systems will retain separate flight plans unless you specifically touch the Connext button on the flight plan page and select Send FPL or Load FPL to manually force a sync.

This guidance assumes you are using V2.50 software on the aera 660.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

I appreciate the response. I am on v2.50. I don't want to turn off BT since I still would like traffic and weather. I have had the setting on the Connext page set as you suggested all along and it still is sending the flight plan to the GTN in the case you've identified as BT reconnect. That is what I found troubling about it.

Thanks! I really appreciate your help.

I am comparing Foreflight/ iPad/ Stratus 2 with my new Garmin 660 and GDL 39 3D. I had issues with iPad freezing up in flight, and Foreflight doesn't provide any airspace warnings or graphics on their World Map (leaves it up to the VFR pilot with moving VFR chart - dah, thanks.). Garmin does a great job for VFR pilots in the default moving map (not VFR chart mode) for airspace management - worry free cross country flying. Also, the Stratus 2/ Foreflight synthetic vision is really poor - very flat ground images, and you don't actually see the runway until you're down final and almost on top of it. Garmin Synthetic Vision on the 660 seems much richer, as was the previous 796 I owned.

Question 1) Why can't the Garmin 660 pick up weather while on Wifi sitting at my desk planning a flight? Foreflight does this with great ease. Ugh!

Question 2) Since the Garmin 660 doesn't show weather on Wifi on the ground, I am using Garmin Pilot on my Android for that purpose (really trying to give Garmin a shot here). Has Garmin considered a joint subscription for Garmin 660 owners to allow free downloads and use of Garmin Pilot on a separate smartphone, when you own a 660? Even Foreflight allows for an iPad and an iPhone on the same subscription.

I am not sure if I saw an answer to this question. I have the same feedback to the Garmin team about using the 660 for flight planning over WiFi. Is there a way to get weather while on the ground? I currently have to bounce back and fourth between the 660 and Garmin Pilot in order to plan a flight.

Is there a technical reason the 660 cannot get weather over WiFi?

If the answer is no then would Garmin consider offering 660 users a combined subscription to Garmin Pilot? ;)

Pretty quiet on this thread the past few days. I have another question/suggestion. Is it possible to change the aircraft type on the 3D vision page to something other than an RV? Maybe high wing? I know this is VAF but some of us would like to move the 660 between other airplanes :)

Pretty quiet on this thread the past few days. I have another question/suggestion. Is it possible to change the aircraft type on the 3D vision page to something other than an RV? Maybe high wing? I know this is VAF but some of us would like to move the 660 between other airplanes :)

Hello nippaero,

The Profile setup page allows you to select from one of 5 different airplane types for the moving map (including a high wing and a helicopter).

The 3D Vision page shows either a fixed wing (which looks like an RV) or a helicopter, but no high wing.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Seems I cannot get attitude information from my hard wired connection to my GDL-39 3D. All other data seems to be communicating through wired connection normally. It works with the Bluetooth connection. Tried disabling Bluetooth, still no attitude. Have the latest GDL-39 firmware.

I know this is a second question on this problem, Steve, but I'm still unable to receive attitude info and thought others might chime in if having the same problem.

Thanks

Last edited:
Steve,

Seems I cannot get attitude information from my hard wired connection to my GDL-39 3D. All other data seems to be communicating through wired connection normally. It works with the Bluetooth connection. Tried disabling Bluetooth, still no attitude. Have the latest GDL-39 firmware.

I know this is a second question on this problem, Steve, but I'm still unable to receive attitude info and thought others might chime in if having the same problem.

Thanks

Hello Bryan,

Thank you and others for the heads up on this. We agree that this is not working correctly and will make improvements before the next release of the aera 660 software.

The hardware interface including the attitude data does work correctly with a GTX 345.

Thanks,
Steve

Database question

I know the various database options and prices - that's easy enough to find. What I'm wondering is just what comes with the bare-bones unit out of the box, exactly, regarding basemap terrain, geographic and nav info, and other software inclusions. In the U.S. Is the basemap a worldwide database regarding airports and nav info? Does U.S. coverage have Mexico (vasic airport and freequency) coverage?

Is it just a blank unit which requires one choosing one of the database choices? I've seen reference to "one free update" mentioned regarding what "comes in the box." But just what IS that, exactly?

Believe me I've looked and the exact answeres to these questions do not seem to be available in any of the ad or literature I've so far come across.

Thanks,

Mike

I know the various database options and prices - that's easy enough to find. What I'm wondering is just what comes with the bare-bones unit out of the box, exactly, regarding basemap terrain, geographic and nav info, and other software inclusions. In the U.S. Is the basemap a worldwide database regarding airports and nav info? Does U.S. coverage have Mexico (vasic airport and freequency) coverage?

Is it just a blank unit which requires one choosing one of the database choices? I've seen reference to "one free update" mentioned regarding what "comes in the box." But just what IS that, exactly?

Believe me I've looked and the exact answeres to these questions do not seem to be available in any of the ad or literature I've so far come across.

Thanks,

Mike

Hello Mike,

We sell several different versions of the aera 660 for different parts of the world, and each has a different factory load of most of the databases, but every unit is supplied with Worldwide terrain and basemap databases.

The basemap is the core map which is drawn under everything else and contains rivers, lakes, cities, highways, railroads, state boundaries, etc, but it does not include airports since those are in the Navigation database.

The unit comes with a complete set of databases, so it is quite functional out-of-the-box, but some of the databases may be out-of-date depending on how long it has been since it was loaded in the factory. This isn't a concern, however, because every unit ships with a free database update coupon, which when the code is entered in FlyGarmin (after creating an account and entering the serial number for the aera 660) allows one free purchase of every database type so you can get the unit up-to-date at no additional charge.

The Americas North Garmin Navigation Database is one of your choices and it includes coverage for Mexico.

Thank you for your interest and let us know if we can help further.

Thanks,
Steve

Very nice comprehensive answers to my questions. I've been playing with and wasting money on some navigators (various combinations of erratic and undependable software combined with inadequate - not to mention practically invisible hardware) over the last several months and realize I should have just saved my money and bought the 660 . . . but then who knew or expected Garmin to come out with something sunlight readable and the perfect size for my cockpit, and so full of excellent features - all at a very reasonable (for Garmin) price.

My single-place aircraft has a small cockpit and a canopy, complications most others don't have to consider in their choices.

Mucho gracias,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Aera 660

Been flying with the Aera 660 in my RV-4 for a couple months now and would not trade it for anything. It is so bright in direct sunlight that I actually had to turn DOWN the brightness. A vast improvement over the IPAD Mini I used to use. I do still carry the IPAD for cross country flights so I can also bring a computer along.

The IPAD Mini is still quite capable and needed for the approach charts and has a bigger screen for other stuff but the 660 is hands down easier to see in a bubble canopy.

What I bought myself for Father's day

Two good reasons to buy one. It will be my fathers day present!

Hello Mike,

We sell several different versions of the aera 660 for different parts of the world, and each has a different factory load of most of the databases, but every unit is supplied with Worldwide terrain and basemap databases.

The basemap is the core map which is drawn under everything else and contains rivers, lakes, cities, highways, railroads, state boundaries, etc, but it does not include airports since those are in the Navigation database.

The unit comes with a complete set of databases, so it is quite functional out-of-the-box, but some of the databases may be out-of-date depending on how long it has been since it was loaded in the factory. This isn't a concern, however, because every unit ships with a free database update coupon, which when the code is entered in FlyGarmin (after creating an account and entering the serial number for the aera 660) allows one free purchase of every database type so you can get the unit up-to-date at no additional charge.

The Americas North Garmin Navigation Database is one of your choices and it includes coverage for Mexico.

Thank you for your interest and let us know if we can help further.

Thanks,
Steve

Been flying with the Aera 660 in my RV-4 for a couple months now and would not trade it for anything. It is so bright in direct sunlight that I actually had to turn DOWN the brightness. A vast improvement over the IPAD Mini I used to use. I do still carry the IPAD for cross country flights so I can also bring a computer along.

The IPAD Mini is still quite capable and needed for the approach charts and has a bigger screen for other stuff but the 660 is hands down easier to see in a bubble canopy.

Steve,

I appreciate the response. I am on v2.50. I don't want to turn off BT since I still would like traffic and weather. I have had the setting on the Connext page set as you suggested all along and it still is sending the flight plan to the GTN in the case you've identified as BT reconnect. That is what I found troubling about it.

Thanks! I really appreciate your help.

Steve,

Some more debugging going on...

I found there is an on-screen notification when BT disconnects from the flight stream 210. I also verified (my wife was good enough to cooperate) that even though the Outgoing Flightplan setting is on Require Action and the bluetooth disconnect message does not occur, I still see the flight plan pushed from the 660 to my GTN at least once per flight.

Thanks for your continued help.

AirGizmo 660 Mount

I heard from AirGizmos that they have a 660 mount in the works and should have it ready in a few weeks in time for AirVenture!

Hardwire and Bluetooth?

Steve,

I received my 660 yesterday and learned tonight it does not support multiple Bluetooth connections t(I.e. GDL 39 and iPhone simultaneously). So, will I be able to hardwire to GDL 39 and connect to iPhone via Bluetooth simultaneously?

Thanks,

Phillip

Steve,

I received my 660 yesterday and learned tonight it does not support multiple Bluetooth connections t(I.e. GDL 39 and iPhone simultaneously). So, will I be able to hardwire to GDL 39 and connect to iPhone via Bluetooth simultaneously?

Thanks,

Phillip

Hello Phillip,

Yes, you can use the BT interface and both RS-232 interfaces at the same time.

Thanks,
Steve

Audio out via Bluetooth

Hi Steve,

Have you ever though to output the audio signal via Bluetooth? This would be a very helpfull feature to use the area 660 with a modern audio panel or simple Bluetooth to audio interfaces.

Best regards
gFlyer

Hi Steve,

Have you ever though to output the audio signal via Bluetooth? This would be a very helpfull feature to use the area 660 with a modern audio panel or simple Bluetooth to audio interfaces.

Best regards
gFlyer

Hello gFlyer,

Yes, we did consider this. You probably aren't going to find too many audio panels supporting a wireless unswitched alert audio input for alerts like terrain, obstacle, and traffic because these are really important aural alerts.

Sorry to beat the drum once again in favor of using the bare wire mount, but when you can board your plane, snap the aera 660 into the mount and immediately provide high reliability hardwired connection to power, alert audio, traffic/weather, and data out to devices like COM/NAV radios and autopilots, there is no better way to integrate the aera 660 with other systems (including the audio panel) in your aircraft.

Thanks,
Steve

Aera 660/GDL 39 3D Bluetooth

Phillip,

Reference your earlier post. I have an Aera 660 and a GDL 39 3D. I was going to hardwire the GDL to the 660 but thought I'd try the Bluetooth function first to see how it works. It works perfectly so I am holding off hardwiring it for now. You are right that the Aera 660 will only do ONE Bluetooth at a time but the GDL 39 3D will support multiple Bluetooth connections. I also use an IPhone 6 with Garmin Pilot as a backup and am able to connect the IPhone via Bluetooth to the GDL 39 3D at the same time as the 660.

According to the GDL 39 3D manual on page 4-1,
"Multiple Bluetooth devices may be connected with the GDL 39."

Last edited:
Hello gFlyer,

Sorry to beat the drum once again in favor of using the bare wire mount, but when you can board your plane, snap the aera 660 into the mount and immediately provide high reliability hardwired connection to power, alert audio, traffic/weather, and data out to devices like COM/NAV radios and autopilots, there is no better way to integrate the aera 660 with other systems (including the audio panel) in your aircraft.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve, and all others reading here,

Steve, understud your drum beat. Often to less input channels are the problem at the audio panel. This was my thought.
But your beat brings me to the autopilot. Do you have any idea how I can access my Centuri I autopilot with the area 660?
This help would be very much appreciated! :cool:

Best regards
GFlyer

Phillip,

Reference your earlier post. I have an Aera 660 and a GDL 39 3D. I was going to hardwire the GDL to the 660 but thought I'd try the Bluetooth function first to see how it works. It works perfectly so I am holding off hardwiring it for now. You are right that the Aera 660 will only do ONE Bluetooth at a time but the GDL 39 3D will support multiple Bluetooth connections. I also use an IPhone 6 with Garmin Pilot as a backup and am able to connect the IPhone via Bluetooth to the GDL 39 3D at the same time as the 660.

According to the GDL 39 3D manual on page 4-1,
"Multiple Bluetooth devices may be connected with the GDL 39."

I agree. It works flawlessly so far using Bluetooth. The reason I'm wanting to have the iPhone connected to the Aera 660 is so that I can leave the Aera in the plane but use my phone at home for trip planning, allowing me to push the flight plan to the Aera once at the airport.

I plan to hardwire once the Airgizmo mount is available.

And, yes, the GDL 39 supports multiple Bluetooth connections (I believe 3). I've used it with an iPhone and iPad simultaneously while it was hardwired to an Aera 500.

Steve,

I understand that the 660 can push selected radio frequencies to an SL 30/40, but can it work with both or do have to choose which radio I want the 660 to be connected to? I have both an SL 30 and SL 40 and I would like have the ability to push the selected radio frequency to whichever radio I choose at anytime. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Mark

Steve,

Really enjoying the 660 driving my autopilot and connectivity with the GDL-39 and Garmin Pilot. Question - in 3D View, can I either get rid of or minimize that airplane? I find it a huge distraction. A simple "+" symbol would be much better! I would suggest considering getting rid of it. That 3D screen is great for SA on final. But that #### plane obscures the view. Thx!

Steve,

I understand that the 660 can push selected radio frequencies to an SL 30/40, but can it work with both or do have to choose which radio I want the 660 to be connected to? I have both an SL 30 and SL 40 and I would like have the ability to push the selected radio frequency to whichever radio I choose at anytime. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Mark

Hello Mark,

If a COM frequency is selected from the airport frequency page, the aera 660 will send it to the standby position of all connected COM radios.

If a NAV frequency is selected, it will send it to the standby position of all connected NAV radios.

While you can't choose to which of multiple connected radios the frequency will be sent, you control the use of the swap button to activate the pushed frequency from the standby position.

Thanks,
Steve

Garmin Experts,

After following this thread for a while, I bought and received the Garmin Aera 660 along with the Garmin Bare Wire Cable for my Vans RV-8. The aircraft is equipped with the following:

1. Garmin GNS 430 W
2. Garmin GTX 345
3 Advanced Flight Systems 4500 EFIS
4. Trutrak Digitrak II Auto Pilot
5. PS Engineering PM1000II

I would like to hard wire the 660 using the Bare Wire Cable to my Garmin GTX 345, Garmin GNS 430W and PS Engineering PM1000II.

Issue: I have no vacant or unused RS-232 ports on my GNS 430 to receive and synchronize the flight plan in the Area 660 with the GNS 430W.

Question: What do I need to do to make the RS-232 connection between the 430 and 660?

Any advise or direction you can provide on the connections from the 660 to the GNS 430 and PS Engineering PM1000II is appreciated.

As I understand it, the PM1000II is "mono".

There are three audio wire (Bare Wire) from the 660. Should I use the common and one side left/right? I saw that posted somewhere but can't find it now.

I'm pretty sure one of the RS-232 ports goes out from my 430 to my AFS 4500. When I enter a flight plan into my GNS 430 W, it populates on the AFS 4500. Should I use that port with jumpers?
Thank you!

Hello Charlie,

Good job reviewing the previous posts. It looks like the only question remaining is how to connect to the 430W with no free serial ports.

If one of the existing 430W serial outputs is configured for "Aviation", you should be able to share that data with the aera 660 to transfer the flight plan to the aera 660.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Really enjoying the 660 driving my autopilot and connectivity with the GDL-39 and Garmin Pilot. Question - in 3D View, can I either get rid of or minimize that airplane? I find it a huge distraction. A simple "+" symbol would be much better! I would suggest considering getting rid of it. That 3D screen is great for SA on final. But that #### plane obscures the view. Thx!

Hello Bryan,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your aera 660.

Currently the only way to display the 3D Vision page with real attitude and no aircraft overlay is to connect an ADS-B receiver that provides attitude information such as the GDL 39 3D and the GTX 345/345R.

Thanks,
Steve

Back