What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lasar Ignition Horror Story

rv8grover

Listers:

If you own or are considering the Lasar Ignition System for your airplane, read this and beware. Lasar Ignition came on my new Lycoming Engine from the factory. A screw on the distributor cap backed out of my left magneto and it took 364 hours of working back and forth to destroy the magneto. Unisons service manual doesn?t even have you look at the points until 500 hours. After sending him pictures of the Magneto, the Service Representative at Unison said that it was beyond the warranty period and couldn?t possibility be a manufacturing defect and they wouldn?t pay for anything.

This all started with a 300+ mag drop on the Left Magneto. While looking for the cause of the Mag drop, I removed the ignition lead caps and found the left magneto distributor cap moving up and down. Danny King and I took the magneto apart and found that one of the screws on the distributor had backed out and had been working in the hole in the case. There was plastic, carbon, and aluminum dust all over in the magneto.

Lessons learned:
Unison doesn?t stand behind their top of the line Ignition System.

None of their dealers stock the 4771 magneto meaning minimum of 3 weeks to get one.

The only way you can get one sooner is say A.O.G. and the distributor can have it drop shipped from the factory overnight for another $45.

Aircraft Spruce had the lowest price of $601 plus $150 core charge.

I have bought my last Unison Product. If anything else goes wrong with the Lasar system, I will remove it from the airplane and install P-Mags. A P-Mag system is less than half the cost of the Lasar system and being a new company, I?ll bet you they would be very interested in a premature failure of one of their components.

Ron Grover

Back