What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shop Air

laf729

I'm New Here
Hi giys! I just received my first package, all the papework and the empenage by the same time. They are writing that a 20 gallons air compressor should do. Is it really enough?

Thanks

I got the biggest compressor I can run on domestic electricity with the largest receiver.

It does 14.5cfm and has a 150ltr (37.5 US Gal) receiver.

It will only just cope when using die grinders or DA sander, but copes fine for everything else.

Consider this as well - if you are painting, put a second filter regulator to a dedicated air outlet for paint.

I run main shop at 90psi, with a separate outlet at 40psi for HVLP spraying.

Hi giys! I just received my first package, all the papework and the empenage by the same time. They are writing that a 20 gallons air compressor should do. Is it really enough?

Thanks

Some guys will tell you that you just can't build with anything less than a full-blown belt-driven 60gal 240V compressor. You don't need that much. Yes, a bigger one is always better (if you can afford it and have the space for it), but thousands have built airplanes with smaller compressors. We built my dad's RV-6 with a 10gal 125psi compressor; I'm using a 15gal 200psi one for my 7. It does the job just fine so far, but then, I don't expect to be able to run a grinder or sander continually without stopping, either.

Thanks

I built and painted my RV-6 with a 115v, 15A (nominally 1.5 hp) 20 gallon compressor. It was never a limitation unless I was doing something like extended cutting a rotary air tool...

I started with a Speedair 20 gallon compressor (a real good quality one too), I went to a 60 gallon, 240 volt unit. Much quieter, and it keeps up with all of my tools. I got it from Northern Tool for about $750... Ingersol-rand

35 yr old Craftsman compressor ...

... With only 11 gal tank. Worked flawlessly for my 6+ yr build, and is still running in my hangar. It worked for everything but die grinders ...they're an incredible air hog. That old workhorse compressor is also w-a-y quieter than any new compressors I've heard, regardless of type or mfgr.

Alternative to the air die grinders and having a large compressor: Thought about a electric "RotoZip" tool, like a Dremel on steroids. The blue box home improvement store on the aviation tool dept has them. Now they have cordless versions, but mine is 110v. Maybe not as sexy as a pneumatic grinder, but for my applications it works well.
Tom

I have an IR 60g 220v unit, but I have had it for 15 yr, and use it for sand blasting and DA sanders for autobody work. Honestly, the only process that may tax a 20G 1.5hp unit would be the canopy separation. Even using a die grinder with a 20gal would be fine unless you try to overuse the tool for some process.

60G+ 5hp+ is a must if you decide to paint (large panels) and use air sanders. OK, you can do this with smaller units, but the the killer for smaller units is heat build up. If the unit gets hot, then any humidity will condense in the tool and not in the tank. BAD for painting and bodywork. It sounds like that is a ways off for you and is a different decision.

A 20g will handle drills, squeezers, blowers, a trim sprayer for primer on emp skins, and even a venturi vac (for short periods) etc.

Searching will bring up other criteria than air supply, namely noise. If you can isolate the compressor and have it ingest "inside" air, that will handle noise and still take in low humidity air. Suggest you consider a harbor freight automatic water drain device to ensure it stays drained. Especially if you have humid seasons.

Depends on aircraft type?

I noticed this thread because it was (mis?)posted in the RV4 section. If you are building a -3 or -4, you may want to consider a larger compressor - I think there may be more air tool use with these older kits (more basic fabrication). I have a 60 gallon compressor and there are days when the motor gets quite hot, depending on what I'm doing. A larger compressor will generally give you longer times between kicking on, allowing the compressor to cool off. They are quite noisy, if I were to do it again I'd get a 2-stage.

Make sure you put a pair of moisture removers in line, and drain them before each work session - I've got two Speedairs and even here in Nevada I usually get a bit of moisture out of the first. Moisture in the line air will ruin your tools in short order.

On the other end of the hose, I highly recommend Cleaveland Tools lightweight hose kit attached to your regular hose. Very nice to work with and switch tools out. Get lots of mini-plug adapters.

Good luck-
Eric

For me, it's more about the noise than it is about the cfm. A cast iron, oiled compressor with a big tank sure is a wonderful thing to have. I recently move from my basement (60 gallon, 220v) to the hanger where I purchased a 30gallon, oiled cast iron 110v Husky ( This One ). The new one isn't as quiet as the one at the house, but it's doable. I won't need as much air capacity now that I'm at the hanger. If I owned that hanger and could drill holes in the floor, I would move my large compressor in a heart beat.

Yes, you can do it with a small compressor and if you are on a 10 year build plan it won't bother you much I guess. If, on the other hand, you intend to be in the same room with your compressor running for several hours every day....an oil free unit will make you pull your hair out. The best money I ever spent on my project was the $400 or so I spent on a large tank, quiet running air compressor. I suspect I put in more time per day due to the lack of irritation. My neighbors and sleeping wife likely appreciated it at 11pm as well. You can't even hear it running in our bedroom.

Last edited:
They are writing that a 20 gallons air compressor should do. Is it really enough? Thanks

Yes.

The 20 gallon compressor below was plenty for my build except painting. Some tools like an angle grinder do use a lot of air but you won't be using them for extended periods. Like most have said, oil fed keeps it much quieter. This one is 5.5cfm @90psi, 115v. That's about the biggest I could find and still run off household current. Bought used for a good price. I add another compressor in-line when I paint and the two keep up fine. It's oil-free and noisy but more cfm with a total of about 14cfm which works well for HVLP.

Snapshot_20090730.jpg

Quiet is good

I agree that noise is an important consideration. Most jobs can be handled with a small, quiet compressor. More and more choices are appearing in the market, but I still love my little Makita.

Another suggestion that I've had good luck with: my shop is in my unfinished walk-out basement. I used PEX plastic tubing (like they use for plumbing in new houses) as a cheap and easy way to route shop air from my garage into my basement shop. It was a quick project, and completely eliminated compressor noise.

Good luck!

M

Alternative to the air die grinders and having a large compressor: Thought about a electric "RotoZip" tool, like a Dremel on steroids.

Roger this. Also the oscillating multitools do a great job, and a modern cordless drill with a couple of lithium battery packs.

Back