What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adhesive separated from Vinyl tape

ron sterba

Well Known Member
On my windscreen near top by canopy latch on my 9a. I had done a little fiberglass blending for about 18? across the canopy lip about 9 months ago . Decided to pull the tape off. The first 5 inches came off with no problem but the last 13 or 14 inches the adhesive separated from the vinyl tape and is stuck to the wind screen ,what kind of cleaner can I use to remove that adhesive without damaging my plexiglass window screen. Thanks
Ron in Oregon RV9A

I have not tried this on Plexi, but WD-40 does an amazing job of removing adhesive residue from painted surfaces.

If you have a spare piece of plexi sitting around that you could use as a test piece, I recommend testing any solution offered on it before trying it on your finished canopy.

Airplane Plastics - the company that makes our Van?s canopies - uses isopropyl alcohol, like you get at Walgreens, to remove adhesive from their canopies in their shop. I?ve tried that and it works, but sometimes requires some rubbing. Use a soft clean cotton or micro fiber cloth.

Hey Scott & Jereme, sorry for the delay from Thursday’s posting of results of the isopropyl alcohol. Got out there today and isopropyl alcohol worked Beautifully! Used a micro fiber cloth from harbor freight. Clean!! I was careful using light on the marks to identify adhesive. Jereme those info pages from Vans supplier should be copied and put in every builder note book for keeps. It covers EVERYTHING possible except a bird strike to some degree.Again thanks everyone on your replies, much appreciated ��
Ron in Oregon RV9A Slider

Back