What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans / Aerosport / Barrett

SinCityJets

I am going to be buying another engine. While the Vans engines are less expensive, you take them how they come, and by the time you put on your preferred ignition, they will likely be more (unless your preferred ignition is mags).

So, are most people finding better quality, longevity, and support fro Aerosport or Barrett? How has your experience been?

Thank you for your input.

Chad

There are other choices as well

Van's now sells the Thunderbolt line of Lycoming engines - which I understand you can customize.

My engine (ECI/TItan) had only test stand hours but had sat on the airplane for a couple of years. I sent it to Penn Yan for IRAN and modification. They did an outstanding job and I will send my new crate IO-540 to them for my RV-10. They have been around for decades and will also custom build an engine for you.

There are lots of choices out there, as you mention, and all of them put out a quality product. Now that Lycoming is partnering with Van'as on the Thunderbolt engines, I see that as a stellar option. I put one on my RV-10 and couldn't be happier. The one long-term advantage that I see is that it is built with all new Lycoming parts, so when it comes time for that first/subsequent overhaul, there shouldn't be any surprises on parts tolerances. Everything in it will have been yours from day one so you will know how it has been treated and maintained.

I see you are in California. If you are ever near Atlanta on travels stop by and you can fly mine. I have it balanced to .01 IPS, and everyone remarks it is turbine-smooth.

Vic

IMO All three are great and most will go after the one that has the best value. Vans has the air show deal for sun n fun and OSH with the prop combination which is hard to beat. Aero Sport provides a great product as well and customer service is fantastic. Barrett will provide you a competitive high quality product and is simply the best shop in the country.

As you say you buy "another" engine it is maybe not so important for you but I bought an Aerosportpower IO-360 because they were really really good in terms of support.. They answered all my questions within 1 day and did everything to make me happy! Mine is not running yet but I am sure they did a great job in building the engine.

Just had a great experience with CMI/Titan new engine. Ordered at OSH 2017 and delivered this month. X370. All new parts. Custom options are available for practically any customer preference (PMags, Fuel pumps, B&C backup alternators, CMI/Bendix mags, magnesium cases, counterbalanced cranks, bottom induction, forward induction, custom paint colors, fuel injection both legacy and electronic, etc...).

Ours is a beauty.

Jim

Back