What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dying engine

ARJAY

With idle set at 650 rpm or slower, O-320 carburated RV-9A, engine dies just before plane rolls to a stop.
Engine runs great all other times.
Any suggestions to fix this?

Set higher

Set your idle speed higher something between 750-780 should take care of it.

Set your idle speed higher something between 750-780 should take care of it.

Respectfully, Bobby, I disagree with setting the idle speed higher on a fixed-pitch RV9A. All fixed-pitch RV9A's that I know of, including my own, have a tendency to float like crazy if landing airspeed is too high or the engine is making more than absolute minimum power during flare and landing. The idle speed should be intentionally set low.

To prevent the engine dying on the runway during roll-out, simply train yourself to push the throttle in a little bit as you slow to taxi speed in order to keep the prop spinning. This is a much better solution than needlessly floating halfway down the runway every landing.

With idle set at 650 rpm or slower, O-320 carburated RV-9A, engine dies just before plane rolls to a stop.
Engine runs great all other times.
Any suggestions to fix this?

Keep looking..... With a metal prop you should be able to idle down to 500 rpm with no problem. You might need to adjust the idle jet.

Keep looking..... With a metal prop you should be able to idle down to 500 rpm with no problem. You might need to adjust the idle jet.

Yep, idle mixture is probably off a little bit. Try a 1/4 turn either way to see if it idles better.

It idles fine at any low rpm until roll out after landing. I'll just keep goosing it a little after touchdown. Maybe it is loading up too much on final???

It idles fine at any low rpm until roll out after landing. I'll just keep goosing it a little after touchdown. Maybe it is loading up too much on final???

My guess would be it is a bit lean, try enriching the idle mixture to see if that helps.

Thanks Sam. I'll try that too.
BTW, has anyone fabricated a device to adjust the idle mixture without removing the cowl on this bird?

Thanks Sam. I'll try that too.
BTW, has anyone fabricated a device to adjust the idle mixture without removing the cowl on this bird?

I had flattened an end of a long thick wire during Phase One. Tried to turn the screw couple times useless in my opinion.

Tool

Not an RV but I have a homemade tool to adjust the mixture from below the firewall. Long 3/16 steel rod with screwdriver bit welded or brazed to the end.

My RV-9A with a 2-blade Catto composite prop has idle set low enough where it would probably die if I left it there for 10 seconds or so. I'm always making little adjustments to rpm, so it's second nature to feed in a little extra on roll-out.

It could be several things. How even are CHT and EGT's in flight (induction Have you verified the mag timing? If both OK then it is likely a carb adjustment.

Back