What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Piper style external power plug, how to?

Daida

Well Known Member
Hi folks!

I am about to install a piper style external power receptacle in my -8.
I detail i talk about aircraft spruce p/n 11-00500.
I read the installation instructions from Bob Nuckolls.

Question: is there an alternativ to install / wire up / connect this receptacle?

Thanks for your inputs!!

First question is ....... Why ?

They are heavy.

Consider putting a separate light duty cable onto the battery, whether it is rear or front mounted and lead it to a convenient place where you can leave it on an Optimate float charger.

Simple. comes with the charger and is really easy.

On our 7, it is tie wrapped to the engine mount. If we don't fly for a while, or if it is on maintenance, we leave it on the float charge and all is well. Besides, the Optimate is one of the recommended chargers for the PC680 battery.

Piper plug

We have 4 RVs with a female Piper receptacle in each one.

Amazing how many times they have been used over the years.

Not only for jump starts, but for setting up and learning these darn glass panels.

A search on this site will show you how others have installed them.

Carr

piper ground power

If any one is interested, I have a male and female plug. It is heavy, but certain
applications, it would add to the utility of the RV

Wiring of Piper APU plug

Piper's wiring of this plug on the Twin Comanche incorporates a contactor that powers on the aircraft master bus when the APU plug is inserted. That's useful for some things, but it's not appropriate for trickle charging.

Some Piper owners add a second connector in the gear well for trickle charging.

If I were to install the Piper APU plug in an RV, I'd probably just wire it directly to the battery with an appropriately-rated fuse.

For a battery in the tail, putting a piper style plug on the belly has been the best solution for me in at least 10-20 airplanes. I wire it directly to the battery side of the master contractor or to the battery itself. A fuse will prevent you from using the plug to jump start the plane (not good for the battery, possibly, but can get you out of a jam). It can also be used to trickle charge or to hook up a power unit or charger to power the panel while setting things up. I always put a doubler behind the plug inside the skin for sctrngth, and use a 2WAG cable for power. Then I take the insert and put a 6" piece of wire coming out the end with a cut-off ring terminal on the end. This allows you to use jumper cables from a car to jump it. It isn't super light, but overall maybe a pound or pound and a half total for saving a ton of hassle if you find yourself on a ramp somewhere with a dead battery.

agree with Jesse

I'll second what Jesse says. We use it on our 10 and my 4 all the time. Lots of time doing ground work on panels and autopilots really is hard on the battery if you don't have a really easy way to charge / jump the aircraft.

Some thoughts:
- I added a simple Molex plug using #12 wire that connects to the panel side of my two vital buss relays. This is used, when connected to a 35 amp regulated power supply, for extended ground panel operation.
- Same setup if you want to charge either or both batteries (which I have not had occasion to do).
- I have a rule that if a battery is so flat you have to jump start the airplane, the battery is assumed damaged until proven otherwise. I do not fly in any airplane that is jump started as there is little to no electrical reserve if the alternator fails. Either charge the battery to bring it back to life, or replace it if you have abused it. Odyssey batteries are readily available these days in most towns.

Bottom line, a big clunky jump start plug is a leftover from the days of weak pink batteries and vacuum powered panels.

Carl

Back