What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finally flew backward

Vlad

Well Known Member
Check. Now I officially have the slowest RV in the world. It's not easy to get proof of a negative GS. Fruity nav software gets confused and indicates erratic headings. Good thing we have APRS here it is a 10+ minutes of negative ground speed. Hands were busy flying airplane at 1.2 stall speed at 11,500' very limited forward visibility. Over Catskills it was blowing almost 70 kts on the nose. Even at 1,400 rpm it needs a lot of right rudder to keep the plane coordinated. My right leg was so tired I used both to press on both right pedals :D

The highest negative GS was -14 kts or so. Captain John can you beat that?

Vlad, Nope... not yet! hahaha

Drill and Buck said that today he did 270 knots groundspeed, though!

I asked if he took a picture... negative.

I then told him it didn't happen then! lol

Nice job, Sir!

;) CJ

Great Stuff! Did this about 8 years ago in a C172 and made the instructor doing my BFR sick! I was having a blast and he was turning green asking me to please stop! :eek:

Crazy Ivan! I saw winds of 46 kts at 6000 ft around Hagerstown, MD yesterday. Quite a wind gradient.

70 knots on the nose yesterday coming home. 100 knots over the ground...thought for a minute I was in a Cessna again!

I thought about turning around for a bit just to get 240 knots over the ground, but the idea of having to fly any part of that trip *twice* convinced me not to!

Gulf COast

Vlad I thought you were coming south in November and flying the gulf coast over to Florida????

Vlad I thought you were coming south in November and flying the gulf coast over to Florida????

That's what I am dong now Daryl. WX keeps me from reaching planned KTFP and we improvise watching the front. :)

Backwards looks weird from the ground too

I saw a Cessna 150 with negative ground speed this past spring, messes with your mind. Since I started building, it is funny how much I hear single engine planes fly overhead. Cannot help but step outside the shop when I hear one. I heard this 150 overhead and it just never seemed to pass. Stepped outside the door, and there it was traveling about 20 miles an hour backwards at 2500 AGL, very storage to see.

?.....WX keeps me from reaching planned KTFP and we improvise watching the front. :)

I never did that in my -6, hmmmm. I have several times in my Tcraft but it's a lot easier. :)

Vman, just got home from my -6 Albuquerque to Phoenix to Venice trip via Dallas. Great tailwinds. Stop when you get in the neighborhood. I still have those -6 parts for your friend.

Last edited:
Special safety equipment for flying in reverse

Vlad, what does FAA require for reverse flight? Backup lights? Side view mirrors? Backup camera system? A backup radar system? You've really expanded the envelope and aviation may not be the same again. John

So far as I know, you only need reversible Nav lights. Don't the FAR's accept the original taillight as the new landing light, and vice versa?

Back