What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder cable bushings

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I have not riveted the baggage floor as in Canada we need a pre-closure inspection preformed. I have moved on to the next steps and got to the point of installing the rudder cables and the snap bushings. It was a lot easier to undo all the clecos and remove the floor than to twist my arm thru the lightening holes to install them. For those not to this point I would suggest looking ahead and install the snap bushings and perhaps push the rudder cables thru as well. Not saying it cannot be done as per plans.

Adel clamps on rudder cable

I have not riveted the baggage floor as in Canada we need a pre-closure inspection preformed. I have moved on to the next steps and got to the point of installing the rudder cables and the snap bushings. It was a lot easier to undo all the clecos and remove the floor than to twist my arm thru the lightening holes to install them. For those not to this point I would suggest looking ahead and install the snap bushings and perhaps push the rudder cables thru as well. Not saying it cannot be done as per plans.

Now tell me how you are going to get those forward adel clamps installed with the bolts. I opted for AN3-4A verse using the 3's. Trying to get the washer and nut on there in limited space where you can't see it, has proved difficult so far. I got three of the four in, but the left side forward is impossible, not impossible, but a pain in the ***! The adel clamp keeps wanting to spring open and launch the washer. Suggestions?

Last edited:
I cannot find the part number , but do you have a flat thin bar with a slit that you slide over the threads of the bolt after it passes thru the Adel clamp. You can actually thread the bolt and this flat bar acts as a nut and tightens the clamp a little. This holds things in place and you slip the washer and nut on and once the nut is started you just pull the flat bar out.
Someone will have a name for this tool and a part number. I plan on using it when I get back to the rudder cables after inspection completed.

Last edited:
I cannot find the part number , but do you have a flat thin bar with a slut that you slide over the threads of the bolt after it passes thru the Adel clamp. You can actually thread the bolt and this flat bar acts as a nut and tightens the clamp a little. This holds things in place and you slip the washer and nut on and once the nut is started you just pull the flat bar out.
Someone will have a name for this tool and a part number. I plan on using it when I get back to the rudder cables after inspection completed.

That would be much appreciated. My hands are shredded from working in that space. Thanks.

A small drop of super glue works well to secure washers to the bolt head. It also works well to glue a washer and nut to the tip of you're finger to keep the hardware aligned while you start the nut, then you can roll you're finger and the glue and hardware will peel off.

Rudder cable claps

I solved this problem by bending a 1/4 inch wrench about 30 degrees. It let me access areas my fingers couldn't.

To assist with the installation of adel clamps just use some tie wire to hold the tabs closed enough to get the nut started. Cut wire away, position the tube and tighten up. You can fight those adel clamps till the cows come home if you don't do something like this. Also found using the fuselage rotisserie so you can drop washers in place and brain surgeon like dexterity also helped.

It's called an Adel clamp keeper. I looked it up and ACS must have sold them but I do not see them on the site now. There are pictures if you google them. Good luck.

It's called an Adel clamp keeper. I looked it up and ACS must have sold them but I do not see them on the site now. There are pictures if you google them. Good luck.

Ron,

Reread his post, I think he was making fun of the misspelling of slit, was spelled slut.

Jokes on me

While working on this project, every time I begin to feel as though I've learned the virtue of patience, Van's throws something into the mix to remind me that I'm just fooling myself. 3 hours, spread over 4 days, and this bolt is still winning. I woke up this morning, had my coffee, leapt into the garage with high spirits, while stating to my wife, "today is the day I get this bolt attached." Haha! Literally, 4 minutes later, I put down my tools, walked into the house, completely frustrated, stating, "it seems today is not the day." (In the moment, there may have been an expletive in there somewhere.)

I've tried the longer bolt, I've tried the superglue, I've tried duct tape in various ways. What I have not tried is a good cold beer before beginning the task.
Perhaps this evening!

Thanks for letting me vent.
Cheers,

2877yt.jpg

While working on this project, every time I begin to feel as though I've learned the virtue of patience, Van's throws something into the mix to remind me that I'm just fooling myself. 3 hours, spread over 4 days, and this bolt is still winning. I woke up this morning, had my coffee, leapt into the garage with high spirits, while stating to my wife, "today is the day I get this bolt attached." Haha! Literally, 4 minutes later, I put down my tools, walked into the house, completely frustrated, stating, "it seems today is not the day." (In the moment, there may have been an expletive in there somewhere.)

I've tried the longer bolt, I've tried the superglue, I've tried duct tape in various ways. What I have not tried is a good cold beer before beginning the task.
Perhaps this evening!

Thanks for letting me vent.
Cheers,

2877yt.jpg

If it?s the adel clamp you?re struggling with, here?s what I did: I used adel clamp pliers to get it closed over the plastic sleeve then safety wired it shut. Makes it easy. Wasn?t able to remove the wire so I hope that won?t be an issue.

Adel clamps -alternative

I don?t recall about this location specifically but I did purchase a selection of in-expensive ?Curved Hemostat Forceps? off ebay. Various tips from straight to 90 deg. tips. Some of the larger ones I could clasp the bolt head as well as the adel clamp arms. Also work gerat for some of the hardto reach washers and nuts..

You need the dexterity of a brain surgeon for those and the control yoke bolt.
I did these whilst still on the rotisserie.
Curse like your in a sheep yard helps. 😊

You need the dexterity of a brain surgeon for those and the control yoke bolt.
I did these whilst still on the rotisserie.
Curse like your in a sheep yard helps. 😊

On our side of the pond we would say "curse like a sailor" or "..a Marine".....

SUCCESS!!

Well, it's a bit of a blur, but some combination of these tools and A LOT of cursing, whining, and praying...not necessarily in that order, worked.

Thanks,

11j6wcl.jpg

Back