What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel design

kaweeka

Well Known Member
I'm not sure where to post this so if y'all want to move it, that's fine. How did you go about designing your instrument panel? Is there a template you used? App to simulate various products in various configurations? Did you buy what you wanted then figure how to lay it out? Looking for help with this project.

I'm not sure where to post this so if y'all want to move it, that's fine. How did you go about designing your instrument panel? Is there a template you used? App to simulate various products in various configurations? Did you buy what you wanted then figure how to lay it out? Looking for help with this project.

I am on rev 4 panel (I think). I use PowerPoint for layout. (Yea, PP. Been using Acad and Viso for many moons, but PP is on every workstation I've use over the last 10-15 yrs.) Just keep editing the previous version, cutting and pasting jpg images of the components. Revising is an easy as moving pics on a document. Cut, paste, copy... Size the objects actual dimensions. Gives me the actual look, and a close relative scale (maybe 95% accurate). Final dimensional layout verification requires paper and pencil, a scaled graphics/drawing app, or with ink layout on the metal panel blank (my method).

This shows the panel face layout. You must also know how the device attaches, what the fwd clearance issues are for the devices, and allow for attachment to the panel (space for tray flanges, etc).

Latest version below.
Instrument%2Bpanel%2B7c-2.jpg

Last edited:
SteinAir

SteinAir guys can do a layout from your ideas sketched on a napkin or whatever! Then they can cut you a nice panel from that. As has been said before, they will do as much or as little as you want or need! Just give them a call - great guys to work with!

I did it the old fashioned way. I downloaded all the cut out templates of everything I was wanting to install. Then taped them or sketched them on my uncut panel. I sat inside my plane with the mock up panel for hours imagining different scenarios. I looked at hundreds of pictures on VAF and anywhere else I could find trying to get ideas.

I did it the old fashioned way. I downloaded all the cut out templates of everything I was wanting to install. Then taped them or sketched them on my uncut panel. I sat inside my plane with the mock up panel for hours imagining different scenarios. I looked at hundreds of pictures on VAF and anywhere else I could find trying to get ideas.

Yep, that is how I did it, and will soon be doing the same as I upgrade.

BTW, am I the only one to see Darth Vader in post 2:D

BTW, am I the only one to see Darth Vader in post 2:D

Oh good, somebody else saw it too. I was worried I have been conditioned into seeing things that are not there. Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

FWIW I also used Powerpoint to get an idea of what I wanted. Then took the idea and had a CAD made up for the actual cut.

The idea on Powerpoint:

The final product in operation:

:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. This will be a VFR to IFR upgrade. $$$$$ I'm afraid! I guess like so many things, there's no shortcut.

How did you go about designing your instrument panel? Is there a template you used? App to simulate various products in various configurations? Did you buy what you wanted then figure how to lay it out? Looking for help with this project.

I'm in the process of updating my RV-8 panel and have been using Xpanel, I'm quite impressed so far. I'm sure it doesn't have every instrument but there is a good selection of the popular avionics. You can use the trial version which was a bonus, you just can't save your project.

Here is a windows7 snip from Xpanel of my design in progress, once I'm happy with the layout I will get Vans to send a blank panel to Bill at Up North Aviation to water cut the panel. This should hopefully get me to 2019 when I decide on what to do for ADS-B compliance.

Last edited:
Old school approach for my panel design. A cocktail napkin wasn't handy, so notebook paper was the next best thing:

When I was ready to design the real deal, I used the readily available printouts for the EFIS, etc., and cut out cardboard circles for the vents and 3.125" dials. A T-square and lots of careful measuring keeps everything straight. Magic markers are your friends here!

Reminder

I'm in the process of updating my RV-8 panel and have been using Xpanel, I'm quite impressed so far.
Here is a windows7 snip from Xpanel of my design in progress,

I used Xpanel also and it was great. Please note that the panel template includes the 3/4 or so that is bent forward for rigidity, so basically the bottom 3/4" or so is not available for instruments.

Don

How I laid out my panel

I used two methods to come up with my panel layout. For the first step I used PanelPlanner J. PanelPlanner was easy to use and it allowed me to try out several different concepts with very little effort. I mainly used it to try to find the general layout I liked the most. I played around with different avionics, symmetrical/non-symmetrical layouts, etc. Once I finally decided on the general layout, I moved on to the more detailed layout (i.e., step 2).

For the second phase I modeled the instrument panel in SolidWorks. I do this for a living so it wasn't much of a learning curve for me. There are several other lower cost CAD packages out there that will do essentially the same thing. The biggest advantage I found to modeling the panel in 3D was you find all sorts of interferences you don't find when you're drawing things out in 2D. You can also see maintenance access issues early in the design phase. You've find these issues when you go to put your panel together in real life. Unfortunately the fix is usually buying more material to make another panel.

I then printed the design out full scale and taped it to the blank panel to see how the layout actually worked out (can I easily reach the switches, are the avionics in my field of view, etc.). Remember that the avionics will protrude some from the surface so take that into account when you're doing your labeling. If you model the avionics accurately in 3D, you can see this effect on the computer by rotating the panel around.

Another benefit of modeling the panel in CAD (or PanelPlanner) is you can have the panel CNC cut. I used Up North Aviation to cut my panel and I couldn't be happier. Bill did a great job on my panel. I probably could have cut it out by hand but based on how long it took me to cut some test pieces I did, I paid about $2/hr to have Up North CNC cut the panel. They have great prices and unbelievably fast turnaround. Worth every penny if you ask me.

The best thing to remember is if you screw things up, you can always make another panel and try again. You're not working with a priceless Rembrandt here. There's nothing that time and money can't fix...:)

I hope this helps.

Jeff

RV-7SliderPanelAssy--Iso_zps6b07f673.jpg

Please note that the panel template includes the 3/4 or so that is bent forward for rigidity, so basically the bottom 3/4" or so is not available for instruments.

Thx Don, I was not aware of that. Time to take some measurements at the hangar and compare.

Dave

I used two methods to come up with my panel layout. For the first step I used PanelPlanner J. PanelPlanner was easy to use and it allowed me to try out several different concepts with very little effort. I mainly used it to try to find the general layout I liked the most. I played around with different avionics, symmetrical/non-symmetrical layouts, etc. Once I finally decided on the general layout, I moved on to the more detailed layout (i.e., step 2).

For the second phase I modeled the instrument panel in SolidWorks. I do this for a living so it wasn't much of a learning curve for me. There are several other lower cost CAD packages out there that will do essentially the same thing. The biggest advantage I found to modeling the panel in 3D was you find all sorts of interferences you don't find when you're drawing things out in 2D. You can also see maintenance access issues early in the design phase. You've find these issues when you go to put your panel together in real life. Unfortunately the fix is usually buying more material to make another panel.

I then printed the design out full scale and taped it to the blank panel to see how the layout actually worked out (can I easily reach the switches, are the avionics in my field of view, etc.). Remember that the avionics will protrude some from the surface so take that into account when you're doing your labeling. If you model the avionics accurately in 3D, you can see this effect on the computer by rotating the panel around.

Another benefit of modeling the panel in CAD (or PanelPlanner) is you can have the panel CNC cut. I used Up North Aviation to cut my panel and I couldn't be happier. Bill did a great job on my panel. I probably could have cut it out by hand but based on how long it took me to cut some test pieces I did, I paid about $2/hr to have Up North CNC cut the panel. They have great prices and unbelievably fast turnaround. Worth every penny if you ask me.

The best thing to remember is if you screw things up, you can always make another panel and try again. You're not working with a priceless Rembrandt here. There's nothing that time and money can't fix...:)

I hope this helps.

Jeff

RV-7SliderPanelAssy--Iso_zps6b07f673.jpg

Fantastic looking panel. Can you send me a high res version so I can zoom in please? Thank you!

Chad

I went low-tech

Here's my layout "firmware," my "toolbar," and an exemplar sub-panel ready (after the router and fly-cutter) for the HXr, Pro Pilot and D6 (later modified to the Mini-X).

IMG_2097_zps94f35d47.jpg

IMG_2099_zpsb41cf276.jpg

IMG_2112_zpsb01ddaeb.jpg

Back