What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Some questions on temperature control and building footprings for RV-8

N5916R

Some questions on temperature control and building footprints for RV-8

To say I am a long time lurker here is an understatement. Pending the results of taxes and bonuses in the next couple of months, it may be possible to begin an RV-8 project. I went through the garage nesting phase a few years ago, got it cleaned out, lights installed, bought a tool box, went to an EAA sheet metal course, and never pulled the trigger. Maybe everything will align this time.

I have a three car garage and I think I can dedicate one full bay to the project. Here are some questions:

-Has anyone thought about installing a retractable temporary wall in a garage bay? I have the notion that I could put one in, not spend a ton of money, and gain the ability to heat and cool just that portion of the garage. An added advantage would be helping to prevent encroachment on the project by lawnmowers, bikes and other household sediment that gravitates to unused areas of the garage.

-What is the minimum "footprint" of the wing stand and fusealage, including space around to walk and work? In other words, you need X amount of length, width and height to pull this off.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Welcome

Welcome Terry.
My 7a wings are in jigs now. The 8 shares the same wing. They are about 8' long. I have them 3' apart and 3' from the door. It can be built in a single car. I've seen someone who built in a storage container. I wouldn't want to. Two car space is my minimum. Cars are outside. Mowers and storage are in a shed. One Big Buddy heater keeps the garage warm even when temps outside are below zero. One gas tank lasts almost all winter.

I have made dividing walls out of heavy plastic that roll up and down like the roll up shades used outdoors on patios, etc.
Put some sand in a plastic pipe to weight it to the floor. Get some cord and a few pulleys for the mechanism.
Because it is easily retractable, you can grow your space size easily for the short periods that the project gets big (wing fitting, etc.)
It is not as good as an insulated wall, but it works pretty well.

As long as you don't need to store stuff in the same space, one bay should be plenty of room to build a pair of wings at the same time, and room to build the fuselage (once the wings go somewhere else). My fuselage is in a room that's ~21' long, with the tailwheel against the back wall and room to walk past the prop flange at the front. Clear space between the shelving on one side and the 'junk' on the other side is about 15'.

FWIW,

Charlie

As long as you don't need to store stuff in the same space, one bay should be plenty of room to build a pair of wings at the same time, and room to build the fuselage (once the wings go somewhere else). My fuselage is in a room that's ~21' long, with the tailwheel against the back wall and room to walk past the prop flange at the front. Clear space between the shelving on one side and the 'junk' on the other side is about 15'.

FWIW,

Charlie

Agree with Charlie. My Rv-8 was built in a one car garage and I kept the parts I didn't need at the moment in a trailer outside. Only needed more space when I had to put the wings on which you can delay all the way to the end.

My neighbor found used surplus vinyl curtain walls and track. New you can buy for around $30 a foot 8' tall. Not a cheap solution but clean and easy to install.

Plastic

I did what rvbuilder2002 did but not as elaborate, I just roll it up and tie every few feet with string, also served as my paint booth.

Bird

Back