What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 (Taildragger) First Engine Run

Cool:D

And, I seem to recall reading that is a 360----not the higher priced 390.

Last edited:

And, I seem to recall reading that is a 360----not the higher priced 360.

YUP. From their FB page June 9th, 2015:

"Actual weight 1185 lbs. Today.

We expect the final weight, with paint, brake fluid and whatever else wasn’t there today will come in just over 1200 lbs. If that’s proved correct the power-to-weight ratio of the IO-360 powered RV-14 will be almost identical to the slightly heavier IO-390 RV-14A."

It's the high priced IO-360 angle valve not the IO-390. At first I had no idea why they came out with this but now I'm seriously thinking it could be my next airplane. I'll have to try it on at OSH.

And, I seem to recall reading that is a 360----not the higher priced 390.

A new IO-390 actually costs less than a new angle valve IO-360. Granted there are used angle valve IO-360 engines on the market, but if they need new cylinders or case work then the $33,000 for a new IO-390 starts looking reasonable.

I'm just happy that Vans is offering different engine options. The thing that has me concerned about the IO-390 is that, according to Lycoming, the engine will not be certified for MOGAS. The IO-390 will be required to run on 100LL and/or a replacement fuel that has yet to be approved and will probably cost more then 100LL. Hopefully all of this will be resolved by the time I have to order an engine....

I'm just happy that Vans is offering different engine options. The thing that has me concerned about the IO-390 is that, according to Lycoming, the engine will not be certified for MOGAS. The IO-390 will be required to run on 100LL and/or a replacement fuel that has yet to be approved and will probably cost more then 100LL. Hopefully all of this will be resolved by the time I have to order an engine....

To the best of my knowledge none of the angle valve IO-360 models are "certified" for MOGAS use either. Yes, there are angle valve IO-360s being run on MOGAS in some experimental aircraft, and the IO-390 will run on it as well. It will be up to you to determine if the detonation margin is sufficient for MOGAS operation.

To the best of my knowledge none of the angle valve IO-360 models are "certified" for MOGAS use either. Yes, there are angle valve IO-360s being run on MOGAS in some experimental aircraft, and the IO-390 will run on it as well. It will be up to you to determine if the detonation margin is sufficient for MOGAS operation.

Hopefully in a few years there will be an engine that will be capable and certified to run on multiple fuels (to include MOGAS) that will fit the RV-14 with a company FWF kit. I don't think the IO-390 is going to be that engine (I may be wrong). I'm just happy that VAN's is considering other engines.

Back