What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rubber to fiberglass

dspender

Well Known Member
Trying to adhere McMaster Carr rubber door seals to my fiberglas doors. Looking for your suggestions. I found a clear 3m marine adhesive sealant after 10 stops today at a variety of auto/hardware/marine stores. The 3m tube said it adheres to fiberglas and rubber. Finally just what I wanted. When I cut the first tip with my utility knife, the entire tip broke off from the tube. The second tube would not expel the adhesive. When I returned both to the store, we noticed the DOM was 09/06. Spent the entire day with no forward movement.

An Option...

Don't laugh...

You might try the Shoe Goo products. They also have a marine grade. The stuff sticks to everything and remains flexible once cured...

You need to build the edge back up to 1/4 with fiberglass. I have no adhesive on my and they stay on just fine.

Bob

I went with the VAn's plans. My cabin lip is built up to within 1/16 or so of the inner surface of the door. I am attaching the McMaster's Carr door seal on the door and the 3/8 dia round seal rests against the cabin top within the gutter. I had it attached using the adhesive McMaster's recommended, but it did not adhere to the rubber. Therefore I would like an adhesive that will hold to rubber. I did see the E-6000 at Home Depot today, but I thought it was a joke. I will look into it closer. I would like to use the 3M Super Silicone Sealant called for in the plans, but I cannot find it. I find a 3M 5600 sealant but it says nothing about rubber. I will share with McMasters the issue I had also and see if they have another solution.

Adhesive

One really good adhesive to keep around is pliobond. It is sold in bottles and cans, stir or shake well before use, says right on can- for aviation use. The e6000 mentioned above is good stuff too.

Bird

Dennis

Agree with Bob and Bill....can you post some pictures of your plan please? We are wondering how you are going to do this with the McMaster seal that others are using as this seal is not designed to be glued on without a lip for it to be attached to...are you using a different seal?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=vx2xfe
I used their product 1142A84. This is the 3/8 dia bulb and I have attached it per Van's directions. Unfortunately the adhesive I used did not hold to the rubber seal. I returned the Van's stock seal as this McMaster's product seems more robust. I tried McMaster's 1/2 dia bulb seal, but it was too stiff and I returned it. Van's calls for a 3M super silicone sealant which I cannot find. I am testing a clear RTV, liquid nails and another I found at Home Depot. I will test the E-6000. I would just like an adhesive that indicates it will hold to fiberglas and rubber. I like this installation as it keeps the seal away from hands and feet that enter the cabin and it provides two impediments for water/air to enter the cabin: the cabin lip built out to nearly touching the door and the bulb seal, outside of the lip, in the gutter compressing against the cabin.

I think that most builders used this style of McMaster seal:
1120a141c2-style1-j05l.png

I called 3M today. The product they offer that will bond EPDM rubber seals to fiberglas is product # 08011; found in or orderable at NAPA Auto Parts Stores. My local store will have it at noon for me today.

Dennis,
if you are attaching a bulb seal to the door you might as well go with Van
attachment method.
The Mc master seal everyone is using goes on the frame side and will stay in place even without glue.

I understand the difference between the two methods and am proceeding with Vans method but using McMaster bulb seals. It should look quite similar except the McMasters seals are black and Vans kit offers gray seals. I do expect better performance with McMasters seals.

Back