What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which engine and why??

SinCityJets

As I begin putting the pieces together for an RV7 build, one question I can not get good results using the "Search" feature.

Which engine, and why?

Being a previous AC owner, I am only familiar with names like lycoming and continental. And at first, the only potential engine I was going to consider was the Lycoming. However, after talking with some people, I hear companies like ECI (Titan) and others are also respected, known, and reliable engines.

I (like most) want a great running and bulletproof engine. I am not interested in used. So I appreciate your feedback. I am not trying to start a "brand war" but could use your knowledge.

Thank you in advance!

Chad

Chad,
If you still have couple years before buying the motor, go and physically visit all engine manufacturers of your interest. You will answer all your "which and why" questions based on those tours.

Hopefully I am not a couple of years away :) Physically going to visit is probably not a possibility, however I am going to try and make Osh this year. No offense, but I hold more value in to what the members of what this forum say, than what the manufacturer says.

FYI... lost some faith in ECI this past year. My IA friend was doing an overhaul for a client on an engine here in Texas. Bought parts and crankshaft from ECI and preformed the engine build. All tags were verified as to part numbers requested and tagged provided by ECI. Turns out the crankshaft was identified and tagged incorrectly by ECI. Well this required another teardown, wait and wait for the correct part and a rebuild period taking weeks and weeks. ECI would accept ZERO responsibility for their error. That has cost them a ton of business in our area. The word spread quick here. If they would have stood up to their error... people make mistakes, things would have been much better for all. Sad

Reiley,

Thanks for that input. That is disappointing to hear. How did the engine perform otherwise? Was the crankshaft replacement premature or expect wear and tear?

In other words, what would your opinion be if they had not misidentified the crankshaft?

Thanks again!

Chad

Reiley,

Thanks for that input. That is disappointing to hear. How did the engine perform otherwise? Was the crankshaft replacement premature or expect wear and tear?

In other words, what would your opinion be if they had not misidentified the crankshaft?

Thanks again!

Chad

Engine never got the chance to perform, the prop would not even bolt up. Totally the wrong part. QC issues is all I can take from it, but they still would not step up to the plate for their own mistake. Again, very sad. I've purchased a lot of ECI goods in the past, will no longer partake.

Don,

I am confused (admittedly not hard to do)....you sent me to Aerosport, but you are getting a Superior??

Thanks!

Chad

Engine never got the chance to perform, the prop would not even bolt up. Totally the wrong part. QC issues is all I can take from it, but they still would not step up to the plate for their own mistake. Again, very sad. I've purchased a lot of ECI goods in the past, will no longer partake.

Ouch! Thank you.

CHAD!!!!!
Alaska Bob here!

I have an RV-7 with a Lyc IO-360, Blended Airfoil prop, and Electronic Ignition...full inverted system. Very many great choices for powering an RV.

My face is in constant pain from smiling!

Send a PM with your email and I'll get a photo to to you.

Miss the Las Vegas jet event...and you.

Bob

Hopefully I am not a couple of years away :) Physically going to visit is probably not a possibility, however I am going to try and make Osh this year. No offense, but I hold more value in to what the members of what this forum say, than what the manufacturer says.

Well, here it is my biased personal opinion then - nothing can beat trusty old Lycoming from the factory. I am approaching TBO on the simplest cheapest motor and as Alaska Bob said my face is in constant pain from smiling :)

PS; I did toured several engine manufacturers and after seeing Lycoming assembly line I was sold...

May not be the cheapest, but for a "boutique" build, sit down with the Barret's at BPE, listen to them, decide on a spec, write the cheque.

It is that simple.

If you want economical but new, buy the factory Vans deal.

May not be the cheapest, but for a "boutique" build, sit down with the Barret's at BPE, listen to them, decide on a spec, write the cheque.

It is that simple.

If you want economical but new, buy the factory Vans deal.

You are about the fourth person to tell me that....I'm noticing a pattern...

Thank you for the input!

Back