What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best IFR set-up??

SinCityJets

OK, I am in the planning stages for my future plane. I had my heart set on the Dynon Skyview system, but I want the ship to be IFR certified. What is the best way to approach this, for the money??

I want to stick with a glass cockpit. I also own a DA40 w/ G1000.

Thanks for the help guys!

Chad

... I want the ship to be IFR certified. ...

Experimentals do not get "IFR certified" as an aircraft. They just have to be appropriately equipped to operate under IFR. There will typically be verbiage in your airworthiness certificate to that effect. I'm sure a DAR on the forum can provide greater clarity on this.

... What is the best way to approach this, for the money??

How much you got? :D

Seriously though, there is a very broad spectrum of cost and capabilities.

Thanks for the help guys!

Chad

You just opened the floodgates, and will probably receive a deluge of opinions here. Mostly, people will tell you what they did, and how wonderful it is, without objective basis for comparison against anything else. And you will also find some useful trade-off info, if you sift for it. But ultimately, you need to specify your own requirements more precisely, as well as your own budget, to find your own optimal solution.

You can still use the SkyView but the trick here is to have a "certified" nav source driving it.

For a long time the nav source of choice was the Garmin 430w. While the 430w is a great unit, I would think the current replacement for it is the GTN 650.

Back