What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best RV builder (for the money)??

SinCityJets

First, I would like to say hello. My name is Chad and I'm a FNG from Las Vegas. I have been lurking on the site for a couple of weeks. I don't own an RV, but this site will be the reason I decide to get one, or not.

I'm in for my $25.

Now for the question..... I do not have the necessary skill to dedicate to building a complete RV (even with a quick build kit). I would love to have an RV-7A. I have spoken with a couple of builders regarding builder's assistance and gotten some time and pricing quotes. I am curious who this enormous group of experienced individuals would recommend for a BIG help in building a plane.

If you don't know anyone to recommend, is there anyone who advertises services that I should stay away from?

Thank you in advance for all the replies, and all the knowledge I will draw from and steal in the future!

Chad

Last edited:
Buy one that is already built.

There are lots of good planes for sale. (and sometimes people can be convinced to sell their plane even they weren't planning to!)

Take your time, get the word out, and buy the perfect plane for you. You can always make upgrades and modifications to make it even better.

Why don't you just buy one that's already flying? (Instant gratification) There are always several on the market at any one time. (I see that Clay beat me to it by one minute. Must learn to type faster!)

It is not legal to hire someone to build an Experimental, Amateur-Built (EAB, or E-AB) aircraft for you.

For much more search VAF for "hired gun" or maybe pro builder.

Last edited:
Why not just buy one already built? If it's not setup the way you want, pay someone to modify it (usually the instrument panel).

If you still want a new one, there's always Two Weeks to Taxi.

To answer your question

While I don't disagree with buying a completed RV7a as the quickest, if you want to build, but want significant assistance, I highly recommend Wally Anderson at Synergy Air in Eugene, Oregon. He is an advertiser/sponsor on this site. He offers builder assist as well as classes (which I took).

Chad,

The question you are asking is loaded. While some individuals disagree with the law, it is definitely illegal for you to hire someone to build a RV for you, and this is sort of a hot topic with the FAA. No one in his right mind would agree to do something like what you are asking, on a public forum.

As others have advised, buy a used one. Hire someone to modify it, if you wish.

My advice, too is buy one. I dont know your financial situation but if your on a budget it is my opinion that RV 6A and 6 are the best value planes available on the market anywhere. They are easily found and are well under the price of the 7 model. I have owned both and would almost go as far as to say there are no differences in handling or performance. Shell out around 60 grand (you will never build one for this ammount let alone pay someone to build it) and your in the RV game and havent mortgaged the farm or broken the bank to do so.
Fly it for a year or two and if the Rv bug bites you (which it will) have someone build you a loaded, decked out 7 then . If not, hock it off to the next pilot wanting the big grin.
RV 6's are a bargain.

Hurry sale ends soon.

Thank you for the replies. I apologize for the way I asked the question. I should rephrase that I am looking for some experienced builder's assistance.

How long should an experienced person take to build an RV-7A with a full IFR glass cockpit?

THank you for setting me straight and educating me in this area.

Chad

I should rephrase that I am looking for some experienced builder's assistance.

How long should an experienced person take to build an RV-7A with a full IFR glass cockpit?

Ya know...somehow this sounds like the same thing--you want to hire someone to build you an RV.

To do this legally, contact Two Weeks to Taxi, already cited.

Thank you for the replies. I apologize for the way I asked the question. I should rephrase that I am looking for some experienced builder's assistance.

THank you for setting me straight and educating me in this area.

Chad

Build time for a new kit varies greatly depending on equipment, fit and finish, etc....
1000 hours - 2000 hours gets you in the correct range considering a base line of a QB.
Another option that you can legally do is purchase a flying airplane, or previoulsy flying, and re-fit it as you would like. Panel upgrades are hired out all the time and there is nothing against the rules doing that. The manufacturer will still be the original builder.
What people tend to get "testy" about are the shops or individuals for hire where by the "client" is listed as the manufacturer. Some people feel that does not meet the intent and spirit of the "rules". I feel if the client is an active participant, even if not the primary labor in the build, and the builder is a responsible party insuring the clients involvement, there is nothing wrong with it. But, the rules say otherwise....

YOU are the best builder for the money

I do not have the necessary skill to dedicate to building a complete RV

Chad

Who said so Chad? It's like Lego, all parts come in boxes with how to instructions. Hammer it together, spray paint the dings and go flying. RV building has little to do with skills, what you need is discipline, patience and an abacus :D

Welcome!

You could learn a lot

by stopping by one of our meetings. We have several flying and building 6s and 7s who would be glad to help. Next meeting is Wed July 11 at 7:30 pm at the Henderson Executive airport first floor conference room. We generally have dinner at 5:30 at the Black Mountain Grill on Sunridge Heights and 11021 South Eastern before the meeting. You are welcome to attend.:D

Chad, I believe you will find that there's a lot of good builder assistance out there. Wally Anderson of Synergy Air would be a great person to contact and he has "assisted" many "builders" through their quick builds. Then there are other great companies such as Steinair which will make your dream cockpit a reality at a very reasonable price.
I'm sure that once you get involved, you'll probably want to do more yourself than you originally bargained for and it's not rocket science!

by stopping by one of our meetings. We have several flying and building 6s and 7s who would be glad to help. Next meeting is Wed July 11 at 7:30 pm at the Henderson Executive airport first floor conference room. We generally have dinner at 5:30 at the Black Mountain Grill on Sunridge Heights and 11021 South Eastern before the meeting. You are welcome to attend.:D

Sounds perfect. I'll be there. Thank you for the invite!

Chad

Thank you everyone for the help and guidance! I look forward to joining the RV Air Force. I currently have a DA40, but just something about the RV that calls to me. Kind of like the Cirrus Jet, but within my reach! :)

Back