What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best glide speed with full flaps

macrafic

Well Known Member
Just out of curiosity, in case I find myself in an engine out situation with stuck flaps, I went flying today to determine my best glide (max glide slope) with full flaps. I was surprised at the 15 knot difference (lower) from my best glide in cruise configuration. I expected it to be lower, but not by that much. My aircraft is an RV-7A with IO-360 and fixed pitch prop. I was light at the time (15 gallons of fuel and solo pilot).

Anybody else try this and have speed information?

Why would you ever be at full flaps and not at idle? On base, engine goes to idle and flaps as needed. . If the endive quits anywhere in the traffic pattern, you should be able to make the runway, right?

Why would you ever be at full flaps and not at idle? On base, engine goes to idle and flaps as needed. . If the endive quits anywhere in the traffic pattern, you should be able to make the runway, right?

Some here have said they use power all the way. If you truly remove power at base and plan to make the runway, you are doing steep turns close to the runway. Traffic pattern will be close to runway etc..

Sounds like macrafic is just experimenting with this RV to get to know it better.

Nothing wrong with that!

Wouldn't consider it a "best glide" speed though. Something like stuck flaps and engine failure, would be a short flight, by practicing, he is getting a feel for the condition, which will give more time to concentrate on the landing.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Yep, I get it. We are, after all, experimental pilots, and all of our airplanes are different. I applaud the OP for making this test comparison, and becoming familiar with his airplane. There is no FAA approved POH, like there is for a certified airplanes, and we have to come up with our own set of abnormal procedures for dealing with whatever happens. However, there should be a place on an approach where you can select full flaps and still make it to the runway if there is a loss of power, and that should be understood by whoever you allow to fly your airplane - even if it?s only you. This should be a part of phase 1. Am I going to go to the ground if I have full flaps and my powerplant quits at altitude - like when practicing approach to landing stalls? Well, if I still have a battery, I would like to dump the flaps to give me some more time, but if that isn?t possible, it would be good to know (through testing) how far I can glide in my present configuration. I doubt many of us have ever tested that. We do at least one landing, usually with full flaps, every time we go flying, so it would be good to know what your airplane can or cannot do if we have a power failure. I was trained, many years (decades) ago, that you never are beyond gliding distance from a landing surface while in the traffic pattern. I know they don?t teach that anymore, but I still subscribe to it if the traffic pattern permits. If the pattern is full and you have students turning base at 3 miles, then you have to compensate and use power all the way to the runway - but I don?t like it much. I select full flaps when I know I have the runway made. When I?m alone in the pattern I turn base just barely past the perch, and I use flaps to manage the descent. If my engine fails past this point, I may not even know it until I try to taxi to my hangar if I didn?t get some sort of EFIS warning.

When I have others in the pattern and it causes me to extend downwind, I keep the flaps up and maintain pattern altitude! I never start letting down unless I can make at least the airport environment. This way if the engine quits, you can still cut the base to final corner, pull the prop control (if you have one) to coarse, and make it. I see it all the time, pilots flying a low, power on approach, dragging it in..I don't get it, seems unsafe to me.

Last edited:
Back