What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flash's New Engine Runs

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Just a short note to inform the masses that Flash's new Eci 180hp engine was cranked today for the first time. Short one minute run at idle and then off. Checking for leaks, etc. Weather permitting it'll fly this weekend (wx looking iffy right now).

Pictures coming Monday regardless....

I've got my baby back. Sweet! :D

Doug,

That is fantastic! It appears it has come a long way from when I saw it on the engine stand a few weeks back!

Any guesses on when the weather may break enough to test her out? (I haven't checked the in-depth forecasts, but I am sure you are probably keeping an eye on it). Since I am only over in Arlington, it would be sweet to be there to watch the new horses take to the sky!

C-ya,

We'll be over at RV Central around 9:30-10:00. If the Wx clears we'll fly...if not we'll go eat a nice lunch around noon :eek: .B,

First Flights

RV Central has two RV 8s ready to go. We will try to get all three in the air tomorrow Saturday 29, 2005. There is usualy some last minute problems, usually, me not knowing how the radios work?, or dead batteries. It is a laugh for the lookers hanging around watching me do my Keystone Cops routine. This promises to be a three ring circus if the fog lets us fly.

Danny King RV 8 is flying chase, if there is any thing to chase/??

We have Robert Helms RV 8... Amarilo, TX
Robert Dean RV 8 ..................San Antonio, Tx
Doug Reeves RV 6 .................Dallas, TX (new engine)

I will be doing the first flights as I have no kids.,.,, and Doug needs my stuff if things don't work out. Wish me fare skies, I think it will be a fun day.

PS: Flash now is weighing in @ 1111 Lb

Cheers

Last edited:
Flash's 2nd 1st flight!

Doug,

Get some air under those wings! Glad to hear it's ready.

Jay you really need to crank up that production. You ripped through lunch in about 20 minutes when I was there and now you finish both 8's and Flash? Good thing you aren't busy :rolleyes:

I am now going down into by shop to actually make some progress on my 7A.

Even though it isn't my RV I did manage to fire my 1939 Flathead Ford pickup this afternoon. First fire! Have it driving once the glacier melts outside.

Hope you guys get your weather today or tomorrow.

Be well guys. See you again soon

Robert "Bob" Dean RV 8 First flight

The clouds were low until after lunch. I took Borrowed Horse around the pattern and saw 1900' celings over our 850'MSL airport. I know this is a little low for a first flight but... I wanted to go for it.

Bob said OK. Too late for Danny,,,,so Doug, kids in tow, was willing to fly chase in the Borrowed Horse....Great!,, its a go!!

We went for it. Good flight! Lots of witnesses and help.We did about 20 minutes, MOST of the plane worked, who needs, oil temp!? GULP! It was a cool day. Hey! we had fun. Bob has a new plane he is proud of. And Doug may never get out of the Borrowed Horse, wouldn't let me do a flight in Flash , said, he was having too much fun....!! "you can fly Flash later".. OK?
Wish you could have been here. Fun Day!, and Gary bought lunch!!
Glad to have you in the RV family, Gary RV 7 building, and father ED Robertson
Cheers

Last edited:
What a great day! I got to fly Borrowed Horse for the first time and Bob Dean got to see the first flight of his RV-8 from ten feet off its wing :) . As Jay said, we could have taken Flash up also, but I opted for waiting for HIGH ceilings (Bob's engine was already broken in and we never really left the pattern, so there wasn't as much risk as it seems).

What an honor to fly chase on a first flight. Thanks to Jay for letting me borrow 'The Horse' (pun intended), thanks to Danny King for teaching me formation and to the guys for helping keep the edge sharp.

Congrats to Bob Dean, the newest flying RV owner.

B,

Last edited:
Doug Reeves, Chase Pilot,

Doug Reeves,

Thanks for the wing work today.

It gives me a lot of confidence to know the oil is not running out AND the guy looking..... is not going to cut me up looking at it. You are the man.
Next.....
Cheers

Last edited:
Chase Pilot

JayBird, I meant to mention, I bet your chase pilot today was more jazzed up than you were on the First Flight. He has been known be just a bit enthusiastic about this whole RV gig ;)

You guys rock.

"This is not a normal hobby."

Jay, Doug & crew...

Thanks for the hospitality on Saturday! It was a pleasure finally getting to meet you guys.

My dad and I really enjoyed our time up there, and everyone at RV Central made us feel like 'long-time members of the RV family'...for that, THANKS A MILLION!

I only regret that we missed the first flight of Bob's RV by having to leave early. But now that I read the posts, it appears we didn't miss all three planned flights, which is good! Maybe I can still make it for the flight of the gentleman from Amarillo's RV, Doug's 'new engine flight', etc.

Keep us posted on proposed flight dates/times! Again guys, thanks for everything!

BC Member

Gary,
You will fit right in. We will make you a BC. Just as soon as you fly that RV 7. Hurry up! You want to fly lead?
Welcome home
Cheers

Back