What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron revision

Jesse

Well Known Member
For those who have recent RV-10 quick build wing kits, I need a couple of pictures of the end rib of the ailerons. Van's has changed the kit, but they apparently haven't changed the plans, or sent us an old version of the plans. Namely, the A-1008A pieces, how are they installed in relationship to the spar, and how do the end ribs install? I have seen a quickbuild aileron and know they have changed, but don't have he plans to match.

Thank you in advance.

Not quick build, but what I could find off hand. Don't have the plans in front of me, so not sure if these show exactly what you're looking for:

5.jpg

1.jpg

DSC_3947.jpg

DSC_3936.jpg

DSC_3935.jpg

DSC_3934.jpg

SB Here too

Mine weren't QB either, and my photos probably aren't as good as Jon's but I do also have the revised ailerons. For some reason the plans CD is still shipping with the original aileron plans (at least when I ordered my CD in March 2015). My hard-copy aileron plans (section 21) show "revision 1" on most pages, and some say "revision 2." The pages on the CD show revision 0 for this section.

I took a couple photos of pertinent plan pages showing the orientation of the A-1008-1 plate and A-1015 nose rib orientations, if I understood what you were asking... hopefully these might help:

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks all. Someone emailed me the digital plans. Apparently the RV-14 ailerons are also the RV-10 ailerons, so the RV-14 plans are the new RV-10 plans now.

I'd be curious to hear a description of the changes. Is there any reason to consider retrofitting existing ailerons?

The main difference is the brackets that attach to the wings. They are part of the aileron now, instead of steel powder coated pieces that bolt onto the aileron. The parts are also prep inched to full size, which helps speed up the construction process a little. I see no reason whatsoever to change from the old to the new.

I wonder if this is a tolerance issue? I had to re-work the holes in one old style brackets in order to bring the aileron into alignment with the wing, in the vertical dimension. This is a common enough problem that Vans stocks undrilled steel brackets.

I'm sure it has to do with tolerance. A bent steel bracket can't be nearly as precisecacrepeatable as a flat CNC cut plate.

Ailerons

I am on the last aileron. Mine must be the older ones with the Steel Brackets. Hope to rivet it together this weekend.

Also questioning the reason for the bracket revision...

My RV10 wing kit shipped just before the revision to aileron brackets and I am now working on said ailerons. Anyone know the reason for the revision? Are the plates in the revised design stronger? I hesitate to use the older attach brackets if the 2 piece hinge bracket in the new design is better / more reliable. Any thoughts on this welcome - new builder here!

It is simply an update to the design. Simplified production and reduced cost and weight slightly. Additional strength benefit was not even a consideration.

The design changed during the process of developing the RV-14 and since the RV-10 aileron is basically the same, it was rolled back to the RV-10 as well

Sorry to revive the old thread. Anyone have a list of the parts to change for the "new" ailerons? I have an older wing kit I just purchased that is untouched and would like to use the new style. Looks like it just might be 5 or 6 pieces?

EDIT: Looks like it's also a new spar and skins. Unless there is a reason a builder would want the new ailerons, I'm sticking to the old style.

Last edited:
Back