What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing keyed ignition switch with toggles (Rv10)

oren_rokach

Well Known Member
Can someone please share an electric design with push button ignition with standard mags?
Similar thread exists on electrical system, but 2 links no longer exists, and since the RV10 has the SureStart-Ignition booster, I want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Thanks!
Oren

Pretty simple. For the starter, one side of the button goes to your bus and the other to the switch terminal on the starter contactor. For the mag toggles, one side is the p-lead to the mag and the other to ground. I don't have a diagram although if you google Aeroelectric Connection you can find one.

Just remember when using toggle switches for mags that when the switch is "on", the mag is "off".
Essentially the switches are mounted upside down so that when the switch handle is "up", the switch is open, ungrounding the mag.

switch locations too.....

it is so cool we get to make these choices....:) I am sure most of us have hunted around for the master switch, the alternator, and many other "switches" that have been placed all over the panel (and under the seat too!) in certified and experimentals. I opted for toogle switches for the "mags" (one is electronic), and put all my ignition/battery/push button start switch in the upper left area of the panel, a place easy to see, but well out of the way for typical flight operations/landing/takeoff. At shut down I just hit all four switches (master, alternator, mags) to do the down/off position (and yes, mag switch in the open position), and the plane is safe. Personally over the years, I have flown way to many aircraft with keyed mag switches that the index position gets loose and wrong, and/or the key can be pulled out while still in a "hot" position :eek:. There is something about seeing and hitting a switch into the off position that hits the mark for me to know that I have put the plane's ignition system where it needs to be on the ground and in flight. But again, these are just personal thoughts and there are many really great ways to wire a RV-10.

it is so cool we get to make these choices....:) I am sure most of us have hunted around for the master switch, the alternator, and many other "switches" that have been placed all over the panel (and under the seat too!) in certified and experimentals. I opted for toogle switches for the "mags" (one is electronic), and put all my ignition/battery/push button start switch in the upper left area of the panel, a place easy to see, but well out of the way for typical flight operations/landing/takeoff. At shut down I just hit all four switches (master, alternator, mags) to do the down/off position (and yes, mag switch in the open position), and the plane is safe. Personally over the years, I have flown way to many aircraft with keyed mag switches that the index position gets loose and wrong, and/or the key can be pulled out while still in a "hot" position :eek:. There is something about seeing and hitting a switch into the off position that hits the mark for me to know that I have put the plane's ignition system where it needs to be on the ground and in flight. But again, these are just personal thoughts and there are many really great ways to wire a RV-10.

I think you mean "Closed Position". the switch is closed to ground the mag.

so right!

Yes, your right, when in the off position, the mag is grounded...and switch is in the closed position. Thank you for catching that "typo". The plane is right, its just the message sender (i.e. me) that was wrong here....:rolleyes:

I remember reading somewhere that the FAA requires some kind of lock on the aircraft. Didn’t have one on my RV-6 (used toggle switches for the mags, wired per Bob Kuckols book). Decided to used a keyed ignition switch to better comply with the reg on my RV-10. While toggle switches in my mind are a better option (and eliminate a single failure scenario) I rationalized this since all certified aircraft have them.

This raises a couple questions if my memory is correct. If you go with toggles, how are you going to lock the airplane? If you lock the door, this invites thieves to just crash the window. Happened to a friend.

Does the FAA or insurance companies really care? I have seen several homebuilts with no locks. Perhaps Mel could weigh in.

BTW, I am under no delusion that the keyed switch provides any real theft protection. It just keeps honest people away and limits the damage to the rest of the airframe.

The door/canopy lock does serve as a "lock" on the airplane. There is no regulation stating that the ignition has to have a lock.

Personally I will never use a keyed ignition switch on one of my airplanes. I've seen too many fail. And many times they fail in the "OFF" position which is seldom checked by many pilots.

Last edited:
Back