What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank Cover Screws

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
Starting the tanks. The 14 had hex screws for the sender and no gaskets.
The 8 has a really big hole, an access plate, and then the smaller holes in the access plate.
I'm going to proseal it all no cork.
Also know about L/R senders please don't let me make that mistake.

Does anyone remember:
the correct hex screw to get for the sender?
where to pick up the star washer for the sender ground? (any #8 will do?)

And did y'all also use hex screws to secure the large access plate?

Assuming the screws are the same across different types, I used NAS1352-08-8P socket head set screws for my fuel tank covers. these have a 9/64 head and I had to buy an allen key specifically for them. I used the supplied phillips screws for the sender.

B&C sell the star washers, which are also used on your antenna screws so I suggest you buy a half-dozen or maybe more.

Allen screws

I used Allen screws (internal wrenching) but instead of the NAS1352 series I used stainless ones from the aviation isle of Home Depot. In the past, I have used the NAS1352C series on my truck’s gas tank and they have corroded. Seems the fuel tank attracts condensation so the screws corroded. But that is just me, the NAS1352 might be ok on a plane.

I figure the Allen screws will be much easier to remove when the wings are on the plane if I ever had to service the senders.

Back