What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL39 Bluetooth autoconnect

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
For some reason my GDL39 will no longer "autoconnect" to my iphone via Bluetooth. I know only 2 BT connections are allowed and the GDL39 is hardwired to my 796 and I have checked that the 796 BT is disabled so the only BT connections would be iphone and ipad.

I have removed and re-paired the iphone a few times and when I turn on the avionics master (remote power to the 39) I get the green power light but no solid or flashing blue light. If I go to the BT settings on the phone and select the 39 it connects fine and the blue light turns on, just will not connect automatically.

Is there a way to reset/clear the stored pairings on the 39 and start over, this used to work fine with my prior iPhone 6+.
Any ideas appreciated.
Figs

I had a similar issue and a reset of the BT portion of the 39 resolved it. I don't remember the sequence, but you will find it in the 39 manual. I think you hold down the power key for 5 seconds/until one of the lights starts flashing, but not sure. I suggest also removing the 39 from the saved list of BT devices on your phone first.

Larry

You need to use the Garmin Pilot app. You can delete Bluetooth connections there. Also, you can turn on and off auto connect

Also, you can press and hold the power button for 5 seconds until the blue light blinks, release the button, then press and hold the power button again for 5 seconds

This procedure is stated in the Garmin pilot app

Last edited:
Thanks

Appreciate the input, I have the Garmin pilot app and will give it a try.
Figs

Appreciate the input, I have the Garmin pilot app and will give it a try.
Figs

The bluetooth reset is good troubleshooting step for this. If you have not gone into your phones bluetooth settings, and selected "Forget Device" yet, it is probably worth going back and running through that process as well. If you continue to have issues with it, let us know.

Thanks,

Justin

I know this thread is several years old at this point, but I'm having a similar issue except with the GDL 39R (connected to a G3X) and my iPad.

Looking at the latest G3X firmware, it looks like the software updates are pushed directly through the G3X, but there's mention of needing the Garmin Pilot app when setting auto-connect. Is that just for the portable version? Is there some other way I can set auto connect with the GDL 39R?

Thank you,

JQ

Back