What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Traffic, but not weather...

kbalch

Well Known Member
My inspection is next week and I?ve been getting all of my G3X parameters configured. In the course of doing so, I?ve noticed that, while I?m receiving ADSB traffic, I am not getting weather (neither Metar/TAF text or radar graphics).

Could this simply be a reception issue with the airplane on the ground?

Yes, you need to be flying

to get the weather and ALL of the traffic --- that will come from the ground stations.

Ron

Ken,

I think that is pretty normal. The traffic will display on the ground but you need to be in the air to pick up the METARS and Radar (unless you are really close to an ADSB ground station). In my area, I think I need to be at at least 1500 AGL before the FIS-B (flight information system broadcast) information is available. The traffic information you are seeing (TIS-B) is probably from aircraft that have ADSB out (you can see N numbers). I do not believe you would pick up aircraft without ADSB out while you are on the ground as that comes from a ground station also. Also remember, not all traffic will show up. There are lots of good summaries on how ADSB works if you do a Google search.
Also, I am not an expert so I might be incorrect. I have noticed occasionally how some traffic will disappear while I am flying only to reappear a few minutes later. I do believe it depends on how your system processes the ADSB information as to what happens on your display. Lots of information coming in and different apps/systems process things differently.
Keith

FIS-B Information

Thanks, Keith. I?ll plan to do a little reading on the ADSB tech.

Hi Ken,

As others have mentioned, this is to be expected while you are on the ground. You cannot pickup FIS-B very well, if at all until you gain some altitude shortly after takeoff. Let us know if you continue to have issues with it after your first flight.

Thanks,

Justin

I?m not familiar with the G3X but most efis units have a page where they show the number of adsb ground stations they?re in contact with. If that number is ?0? then, as others said, you won?t see wx nor non-adsb traffic. But if it?s ?1? or more, you should see wx.

Back