- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 AM
paul mosher

Default MGL Comm

Anyone have a opinion on the MGL Com?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Default v10

I have the v10. I was an early adopter. There was an issue with mine, but they replaced it quickly with their improved version and I am 110% happy so far. Excellent value, and with the comm allowing dual scan, and a very decent intercom all in a small light box its great. For my simple vfr ship, there was not a better solution. I do carry a vertex vx3 withhead set plug attached within reach just incase I ever need a back up comm. Over 100hrs and wouldnt change a thing.

Osh 11,12,15,17. Sun N Fun 2013. Flew to Cali/up pacific to Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies east across Canada. North to Red Deer Alberta and Moosonee Ontario East to Maritimes Canada. South east to Jekyll Isl on atlantic, Cedar Key and Key West too! 5 trips and 15 islands of the Bahamas too! Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's

Last edited by RickWoodall : 03-04-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 PM

I did a new panel for a non-RV aircraft and it doesn't seem to play well with two different PS engineering 6000m audio panels. There is a "reverb" sound in it. I got no response from the company I purchased this from to attempt to resolve the issues. Personally I find the push pad tuning awkward to use.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 PM

Default v6

I am planning on getting the v6 in the near future for my rv8 build. I chose it because of the fact that it has an intercom built in. That is space saving for me and economical, one less thing to buy. I have no exp. with it but I have read nothing but good things so I will report back when I get it installed and tested.

bird
http://www.mykitlog.com/tcb328/
Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 PM

The V6 has knobs, not push buttons. Also a nice full intercom. If you use one of their EFIS units you tune from there anyway.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:30 AM

If you want to use the V10 (or V6) with an external intercom, please switch the internal noise canceling or VOX to the "OFF" state.
Also adjust microphone levels to low. You may also have to play around with the side tone settings depending on how your intercom handles side tone. My suggestion would be "TX only" or even "OFF" if the intercom does not disconnect the audio input on TX.
If this is not done you will have two feedback audio paths and the digital path in the radio is very slightly delayed and this will give you a "bathroom" sound.

In a nutshell: With an external intercom, all internal intercom functions must be disabled for the audio paths to be correct. You must not duplicate any paths.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyjs View Post
I did a new panel for a non-RV aircraft and it doesn't seem to play well with two different PS engineering 6000m audio panels. There is a "reverb" sound in it. I got no response from the company I purchased this from to attempt to resolve the issues. Personally I find the push pad tuning awkward to use.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 AM

My plane came with the V10. The radio and intercom work really well. As others have noted, I find the push-button tuning slow and awkward. The V6 is probably more my speed since I don't have an EFIS to drive the V10.

(If someone is intereted in a V10, I'd consider switching to the V6)

Last edited by humptybump : 03-07-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:24 PM

Default just got V6 operating

Initial indications are I will be pleased once I get sorted out with settings for noise rejection/voice activation.

After initial on ground checkout was successful, including comm check, went flying and while some of the flight was uneventful, ended up having some issues during the latter half of the flight. (problems getting voice pickup without "feedback") Reset some of the settings and it seems to be doing ok.... Tower recognizes better reception, compared to old radio.

I think if there is any problem with the unit,.. it is TOO adjustable and responsive due to the digital circuitry, and therefore there are several settings and modes that are possible and the best combination needs to be found. (Unlike the old analog machines that had very limited adjustment to be made.... another example of difference is that transmissions from distant airports would cut in clearly or drop out, where it would probably be just ignored on old analog)

Intercom also is fine, although at this point I just have pilot/co-pilot mics plugged in.

Nice capability in small package...
Phase 2 has started!
Thanksgiving time, is dues time for us
Old 03-08-2012, 12:28 AM

We have put a basic guide on our website at www.MGLAvionics.co.za - cutting out the mumbo-jumbo and just focussing on the basics.

Yes, there is a lot you can adjust but that is there for a purpose.

Provided your installation is correct it's simple. (I saw one that was not last week - the guy just used computer cable and routed ALL audio cables inside a single shielded multi-core cable for some 8 feet to a box where he plugged in his headsets - the microphone cables run right next to the headset cables and are not shielded against each other and yes - that can cause feedback).

OK, switch VOX or Vogad (whatever you have selected) OFF. Now adjust the microphone level so your voice is at about the same loudness as an incomming close range RX or similar to the level of the side-tone when you press TX. The TX has a very effective digital automatic gain adjust to ensure best possible modulation so you can use that as reference (Adjust mutiple levels if you are allowing each input to have its own level adjustment - useful if you are using different makes of headsets).
Make sure your microphone is right in front of your mouth - that is where we want it so the noise canceling can work at its best.

Once your intercom levels are good, select the type of noise canceling you would like to use. My recommendation for an RV would be "Vogad medium".
Now select the vogad level to about 2 or 3. That should be very close. Now go for a flight and adjust that level down until you hear the noise breaking through - then up it until the noise goes away. At that point start talking into the microphone. It should neatly allow your voice through but not the noise - like a VOX system just you don't notice any "switching" or delay to open the intercom.

Once you have found the right settings for your environment, you'll likely never touch them again...

One other thing to mention (not too relevant for a metal aircraft like an RV) is distance from the antenna to the headsets and headset wiring. The V6 is a powerful radio that modulates the transmit carrier always to maximum effect (80% modulation, digitally controlled). This increases the chance for "RF feedback" - similar to placing a microphone too close to the speaker on a stage. The RF received by the microphone amplifier in the headset cna partly demodulate the signal and thus complete a nice audio feedback path.

Another source: If your antenna connection is poor you will not radiate all (or most) of the RF energy through the antenna. Instead, your antenna cable becomes part of the antenna and your antenna cable shield which is routed inside the cockpit starts emmiting significant power levels. Of cause all of that is now causing trouble for the rest of your electronics and can even cause problems for EFIS systems.

The V6 typically produces a 7.5W RF level, slightly dependent on the frequency you have tuned it at (more at the band limits) which means some 18W peak power. This is significant so please ensure that installation is good or else there will be problems - that is almost guaranteed.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkn9a View Post
Initial indications are I will be pleased once I get sorted out with settings for noise rejection/voice activation.

After initial on ground checkout was successful, including comm check, went flying and while some of the flight was uneventful, ended up having some issues during the latter half of the flight. (problems getting voice pickup without "feedback") Reset some of the settings and it seems to be doing ok.... Tower recognizes better reception, compared to old radio.

I think if there is any problem with the unit,.. it is TOO adjustable and responsive due to the digital circuitry, and therefore there are several settings and modes that are possible and the best combination needs to be found. (Unlike the old analog machines that had very limited adjustment to be made.... another example of difference is that transmissions from distant airports would cut in clearly or drop out, where it would probably be just ignored on old analog)

Intercom also is fine, although at this point I just have pilot/co-pilot mics plugged in.

Nice capability in small package...
Old 03-08-2012, 04:37 AM

Default Sorry, let me clarify

my comment of them being "TOO adjustable",.. was meant to say us old guys just aren't into too much change.... and get comfortable with the old stuff, and at times find it easy to complain about the new. (some early attempts at automation of large machinery systems had the problem the folks just did not want to take the time to learn and adapt )

Similar with the distant comms.... we just mentally tune them out on old analog,... but in the world of 0s and 1s,.. they are there or not. Not to say it is bad, it is just "different"

bottom line,.. new stuff, (digital) new capability,.. sort it out and get on with it, and enjoy..
Phase 2 has started!
Thanksgiving time, is dues time for us