What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting 7A to 7

roadrunner20

Well Known Member
For those who've completed the conversion...

Did you change your model# on your registration, AW & operating limitations?
If so, how painful was the exercise?

I was at the Tampa FSDO yesterday completing my N number change and they said I might need to have them re-inspect it if I change the model#. My take is that I can declare the model# anything I want. The FAA rep did say he would work with me & was very helpful.

My take is that I can declare the model# anything I want.

This is correct. Other than your registration advertising that it once was a sissy wheel, there is no reason to change it. You could cut all the wheels off and take off from a homemade golf cart if you wanted. Model number is not relevant in any way. On initial registration you could model number it anything you wanted.

I don't think there is any way to change the model # of an aircraft once it has been registered.

Years ago, the RV-7 prototype was converted from a 7 to a 7A, but to this day the registration still calls it an RV-7.

Great. With a registration model of "Air Force 1" I will be strange if I change my paint job someday. Probably strange even if I don't change the paint job. Oh well, a good excuse to build something else.

Cost in converting

I am looking for a RV6 or 7, but what is the average cost in converting a 6A of 7A to a tailwheel set up. As I look at a lot for sale, I am finding a lot of 6A/7A for sale with good panels and engine salection but I am not looking at them since I want a tailwheel. So I was thinking what is the cost in converting it so I can have a general idea of it when I am looking to buy. I am pretty handy and have people to help me do the conversion. So any information would be helpful.

You CAN change the model, but it is not necessary and not recommended.

If you change the model you will have to install a new dataplate next to the old one and apply for a new airworthiness certificate and operating limitations.

I have an flying RV-6A I've been rebuilding. I'm at the point it could be an RV-6A or an RV-6 (at the point I could change landing gear). I have a new RV-6 engine mount and match drilled main gear, so all I would need to do is buy the tail wheel kit and re-work the tail end of the plane (bulkheads, stinger, etc.). I would really like to do this but have been stopped by the belief it would need to be re-inspected & new AW certificate.

So in reading this thread, how certain are the posters with their answers? i have already planned to do a phase 1 testing.

GH

Model number is not relevant in any way.

Just a point of clarification, in some parts of the country it's initially relevant to the tax man. Heard some guys calling their airplane something other than RV-something when completed to avoid a known tax base.. Just sayin'.

If I were to build a new E-AB airplane today, I would definitely choose a unique model name to give it... for a multitude of reasons.

Some of the changes

I am looking for a RV6 or 7, but what is the average cost in converting a 6A of 7A to a tailwheel set up. As I look at a lot for sale, I am finding a lot of 6A/7A for sale with good panels and engine salection but I am not looking at them since I want a tailwheel. So I was thinking what is the cost in converting it so I can have a general idea of it when I am looking to buy. I am pretty handy and have people to help me do the conversion. So any information would be helpful.

From memory you have to alter the cowl, replace gear legs and engine mount. Re-run brake lines. In the back you have to remove the last bulkhead to get the tail wheel mount in place and some minor metal work.

Seems to me when I initially priced it out it was around $2000 for the parts but once you sell all your used 7A parts it less than $1000.

Just to update this old thread, I never did change the model#.
At this point, I don't care what the model# states.

Just for the record, I do not own an RV. I've been flying my A&M-6 for over 21 years.
Just happens to be the 6th airplane built by Ann & Mel. It also might be a hint as to where I went to school.
It is VERY similar to an RV-6.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I am just trying to get an idea what it will cost for the conversion. I am hoping to find a RV6 or 7 with everything I want, but just in case I want to have my bases covered.

Back