- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 PM

Default Fire

There was also the Rocket incident at San Diego where the pilot was unhurt but the airplane was badly damaged. IIRC also a loose fuel pump fitting. The AC style fuel pumps use a o ring type seal. The nut compresses this seal and prevents fuel leakage. If the nut is loose a significant amount of fuel will leak past the fitting threads. The fittings are straight thread.
If the fitting is a 90 or 45, you can try to turn the fitting/hose by hand. If the fitting moves the nut is loose. If the fitting is straight, you will have to put a wrench on it.
These should be checked at every oil change.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig600 View Post
Does anyone know of an actual fire in an RV fwd of the firewall?
Yes, I saw the remains of an RV6 that caught fire due to a fuel pressure hose leak.

Firewall was fine but there was a BIG hole in the aluminum skin inder the pilots feet. I never met the gentleman but common friends indicated that his shoes were burned but he was OK.

As a result of that observation, I insulated my floorboards with the Mcmaster Carr ceramic batting discussed in other fireproofing threads here. Alternatively, a stainless sheet could be used for a few inches on the underside of the fuselage.
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page
Old 04-13-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzbill View Post
Alternatively, a stainless sheet could be used for a few inches on the underside of the fuselage.
One piece stainless replacement of the RV8's aluminum ramp:

Old 04-14-2013, 07:43 AM

I knew you had done some SS work Dan and thats why I mentioned it. I thought you had gone all the way across.

It has been 8 years since I saw that guys plane so memory can lie. I thought the damage extended to the corner of the fuselage but that would mean the cowl had to have burned away in that area instead of the flames concentrating in the cowl exit. I do not remember seeing the cowl itself because it was removed and my attention was on the firewall and fuselage.
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page
Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabandy View Post
I bet it was one of these, I saw them in the conduit section and for $1.50 I bought a couple of sizes to possibly use.
These are probably not a good choice with the sharp edges. In the same department you can find chase nipples which are made to not chafe the wires. They are threaded for locknuts also.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:33 AM

Default eyeball orientation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
...Returning to firewall penetrations.....a steel eyeball with the open (hollow) end facing forward and filled with something like 3M FireBarrier 2000 ...
Hi Dan, This is a great idea - I had never thought about this orientation and I am just about at this point in my build. Regards, Mickey
Old 04-14-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
I had never thought about this orientation and I am just about at this point in my build. Regards, Mickey
You're welcome Mickey. The 3M FireBarrier 2000 is intumescent, so even if the cable burns off the sealant will swell and fill the hole. Open side forward means if/when the silicone component chars, it will not introduce flame or smoke into the cockpit.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig600 View Post
I bought several of these. Haven't installed yet.

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SA-05

There seems to be a lot of talk about stainless (especially with the TG-10). Does anyone know of an actual fire in an RV fwd of the firewall?
Yes. I am aware of one fire in an RV-10. The pilot made a great off-field landing and was able to walk away with only minor burns. Unfortunately, the airframe was a loss. I understand the tunnel floor was burned through even though the time of the fire was fairly short.
Betcha my pile-o-scrap is bigger than your pile-o-scrap.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:10 PM

Default Dimensions?

Would anyone who has some or access to them, please give me the outer physical dimensions (the sheet metal) of the Van's options for firewall penetrations. I only need the bottom 2, I have some of the one-hole blue eyeballs.

Thanks,
GH
Old 11-16-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk View Post
Would anyone who has some or access to them, please give me the outer physical dimensions (the sheet metal) of the Van's options for firewall penetrations. I only need the bottom 2, I have some of the one-hole blue eyeballs.

Thanks,
GH
I may not need it. I found one document that looks correct:

http://www.doubleteeproducts.com/docs/7000_PIS09.pdf

bc