What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop overhaul cost estimate

Westerhuis

Hi all

In my search for an RV8 I came across one that has a Hartzell CS prop. I believe these props have a TBO of 7 years and it's due an overhaul next year.

Could anyone give me an estimate on how much such overhaul would cost?

Worth noting that the prop is (according to its owner) in great condition and only has app.350 hrs since new. It's a 2011 prop.

I am from the UK and there is a debate there about whether a prop should be overhauled after 7 years if it has seen little use. I am sure the same could be said here, but how strict are the rules on this?

In the UK we did get the prop overhauled as we wanted to stuck with Hartzell's recommendations.

Could anyone recommend someone in MA area who could do this?

Thanks

Roger

Prop overhaul

Most Hartzell props are 12 years or 2000 hrs, I'm sure your hub s/n would give you the best info if you contact Hartzell. The costs I have experienced lately on mine is about $3000 for a complete overhaul.

As eventually it will probably find itself back in Blighty - why not go ahead with the low hours programme as per LAA LAA guidance. I will email you what I got from Malcolm, if you contact someone like Brinkleys in the UK, they will let you now what they do and I am sure it will be fine.

We are just going through the same process with our MT and it is basically a strip, inspect, re seal, re grease and re assemble.

Initial estimate under ?1000.

Costs

Pretty sure my Hartzel is a 6 yr cycle. Not sure of hours as never put that many on. But from what I have been told the inspection is to check for corrosion in the hub and replace rubber parts that age.
Thinking the 6 yrs is a recommendation. If the prop is in good shape and you want to do something to confirm it. You can just have it inspected and resealed. With a reseal, they inspect and replace rubber parts but do not strip paint or grind reshape the blades. Trimming the blades can only be done three times in the life of the blade and then it becomes too thin. So if the blades are good, just have it inspected / resealed.
My last reseal was about 800.
FYI, my plane is in an enclosed hanger when I am not flying, and gets serviced each condition inspection and only gets resealed when the seals fail and can't contain the hub grease. Usually 9 to 10 years.
Good luck with your purchase.

+1 to what bob said. overhauling on a time schedule only does one thing, make hartzell money. if you want to do it on a time schedule rather than when it needs it, only get it IRAN/reseal. I will never get mine "overhauled" I spent way to much time polishing the blades to have them grind them and repaint them because the book says to.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

+1 to what bob said. overhauling on a time schedule only does one thing, make hartzell money. if you want to do it on a time schedule rather than when it needs it, only get it IRAN/reseal. I will never get mine "overhauled" I spent way to much time polishing the blades to have them grind them and repaint them because the book says to.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I wish I could have found a shop that would do IRAN/reseal....

I had my Hartzell prop overhauled at 12 years... but, it only had 800 hours on it...no nicks, no leaking, pretty much in new condition on the outside.

Tried to find a shop to just do an IRAN/reseal here in Canada, and none of the Hartzell approved shops would consider that. Only an overhaul.

I finally gave in and sent it off for an overhaul... , the shop found nothing wrong with the prop. It now has a sticker that says 6 year limit... it used to be 10 on this prop.

Back