What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD-409 Tail spring install on QB Fuse

Sylvainsting

Hello,

I am French and I am building a RV7.

I am installing the tail spring weldment WD-409 and I have some difficulties.

I don?t understand how to back drill the WD-409 with the F-711. By crowling in the fuselage for that ?

Do I have to install the F-712 before drilling to block the WD-409 ? And how to proceed

If somebody has some picture and explanations...

In advance thank you
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain, I am not building a QB kit, but I'll try to help.

I recall this area being very frustrating to get the parts to fit well.

I thought the F-711 bulkhead had two pilot holes for locating the full size AN4 bolts for the WD-409. If the F-711 bulkhead is already installed, I would think you would need to use an angle drill to reach the WD-409 / F-711 holes.

It sounds like the F-712 bulkhead is not installed. If this is true I would certainly install the WD-409 / F-711 / F-712 assembly and drill to ensure proper alignment of all parts.

Hope this helps, maybe someone with a QB kits will chime in. Keep at it, this is a very frustrating area to work on (with more to come :D)

Cheers

Hi Sylvain,

I just finished the WD-409 fitting on our RV-7 Quickbuild. Our F-712 bulkhead was pop-riveted as received, indicating to me that it was to be removed while fitting WD-409. It required some mechanical persuasion and it did pop out. That gave access to the aft side of the F-711 bulkhead.

There are two pilot holes in the forward side vertical reinforcing bars on F-711. I lowered my small air powered drill through the large hole just forward of F-711, and back drilled into WD-409 just enough to make a position mark on the forward face of WD-409. Then I finished drilling WD-409 in my drill press. Finally, I placed WD-409 on the rear face of F-711 and matched drilled F-711 to WD-409. Some edge grinding of WD-409 was necessary during this process in order to get a good fit.

Putting F-712 back into the tail section is not easy. If the lower end is inserted first then the upper end won't fit between the two longerons, and vis-versa. I found the bulkhead does re-install neatly if one side left or right) is placed forward of it's longeron and then the bulkhead rotates into place.

As Bill said, prime these parts and areas before final riveting.

Just to add my .02 to this. It has been a long time since I did this but I seem to remember having to use a couple of Cherry Max pull rivets when reinstalling the bulkhead. All of it is close.

Thank you

Thank you every body, specially Karl. I follow your instructions and...it worked ! Not easy but it is done.
There are 6 rivets under the F-779 tail bottom skin I don't know which rivet to take. Impossible for the QB to squeeze solid rivets, so I think Pop rivets are the only solution. Which rivet did you take Karl ? There is nothing about that on the Vans instructions.

In advance thank you
Sylvain

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/252181P7150006.jpg

Back