What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Amps Shunt

Adriaan Kleyn

I'm New Here
I am at the point to install a Dynon Stunt 60A in my RV14 #140122 but I am not sure where will be the best location. Can someone help me on this and post photos as well?

Dynon shunt location

Me, too. Where is a popular place to put the Dynon Shunt? How about behind firewall? thanks

I placed mine on the firewall below the master/starter relays. I chose to monitor the alternator output.

Yes, I built a 9A not a 14 but I assume the layout is similar.

Last edited:
I'm installing Garmin, but I'm sure the shunts are very similar. I have opted to install 2 shunts. The battery shunt is located directly inline between the battery and the master relay on the firewall (in fact, I simply cut the WH-769 removing about 2" and putting 2 ring terminals for connecting to the shunt). The 2nd shunt will monitor the alternator output and I located this shunt on the inside of the firewall - I will connect WH-909 to the shunt (rather than the main bus) and run another wire from the shunt to the main bus.

Another option if you don't want more holes in the firewall...

I used 2 #12 adel clamps to secure it to the engine mount. Don't have a pick but it worked well to route wires to the battery and alternator.

cover the shunt

What ways have you covered the shunt so it isn't exposing positive voltage. The 60 amp fuses have a plastic cover. Doesn't the shunt also need a cover? Dynon's bag of transducers did not include any cover, but seems like it should be.

I have installed the shunt and fuse like you guys did, on the firewall below the solenoids.

thanks

Shunts

can be protected cheaply and simply. I used a sheet metal "U" with a formica cover to protect the two I have on the fire wall.
If I had to do it again I would use a source other than Dynon, the shunts they sold me were HUGE! Same capacity shunts available elsewhere are 1/4 the size.

As for electrical protection , Would it be possible to use a large diameter of heat shrink and after all connections are made, slide that over and shrink to fit.. I also have one and installed it just inside the FW using the "b" method of indication as suggested by Dynon. I have had to access the signal wires once since 2008. It was not easy.

Almost any place

You can put that shunt anywhere convenient.
https://goo.gl/photos/XYZppLmGpDSejewr7

The pic shows a home brewed inline fuse arrangement for the shunt wires.
Some of my considerations for installing it in the upper right fire wall:
Available space, installation accessibility, keeping wire runs as short as possible
and so on.

I made a simple plate that holds all the primary components together in a unit. Not sure if there is room in the 14 for this, but heres how my Rocket is going back together.

tzfd5.jpg

99nhp2.jpg

Back