What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Electrical bits and pieces to buy

JDBoston

Well Known Member
I noticed that Vans only sent a single ring terminal when I need two for the fuel tank senders. So now I will go ahead and order a .30 part. But it led me to thinking. For the RV-14 specifically anyone have a recommendation for various terminals, splices, etc to order just to get a useful assortment? I am not planning on wiring the whole thing myself when it comes time for the panel, but for lighting, etc it would be nice to see what misc parts people tend to keep on hand.

Can you use automotive terminals and electrical bits when it is not FWF? They certainly would be easier to source locally.

Well, you can use automotive stuff---------but I would not.

Check with Stein, he has a kit of commonly used terminals.

SA-000-1_L.jpg

And, a snap bushing kit. Caterpillar grommet is nice to have also.

SA-600-B%20BUSHING%20KIT,%20PLASTIC-S.jpg

While you are at it, get a shrink tubing kit as well.

HSKIT%20L%20DSC01899.jpg

And, a good stripping tool, I really like this one.

SAT-005%20STRIPPER-L%20DSC03614.jpg

And good crimp tool. I really like the ratcheting crimp tool Stein sells, it uses interchangeable jaw sets, you can crimp coax connectors with the optional jaw set.

SAT-001%20CRIMPER%20FRAME-L%20DSC03587.jpg

SAT-031%20DIE-COAX%20CRIMPER%20L.jpg

Remember, Stein is not happy until you are broke :D

Last edited:
Stein

Second Mike S. Just buy all the good stuff from Stein and don't look back. I like all the kits thus far, great crimpers.

+100 on SteinAir. Get a D-Sub tool for removing pins too...they're cheap and effective.

Automotive-style crimp connectors will work, but the aircraft crimps are superior in that they have a secondary crimp around the insulation for strain relief. The SteinAir crimper does this beautifully.

Also, get a bunch of external-tooth star washers. They're handy when you want to make a local ground to the airframe.

Last edited:
general wiring question (hopefully on subject)

For my wiring runs in the fuselage and panel area, I'm mounting these zip-tie pads with pop rivets (per advice from this forum)

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/cabletiemounts1.php?clickkey=3020815

but I'm curious as to which components is it ok to drill holes in for the mounting. Is it ok to drill 1/8" mounting holes in fuselage longerons? firewall supports? floor panels, ribs etc? Are there places you should definitely NOT drill?

Last edited:
Just buy the assortment kits from Stein or B&C as others are suggesting. Kits I have are;

Blade Fuse Kit (My circuit protection set up is from Stein, auto terminal block, if your going with CB's, no need for this)

Heat Shrink Kit

Insulated Terminal Kit, Ring, Blade, Butt Splice

I would also recommend getting a dozen or so #18-22 butt splices, the kind that have a bead of solder in them.

You will need to augment the kits with certain other popular items as you might run out but this will give you a really good start.

Plus 1 on Stein!

My first little "project" was an intercom / Com upgrade and I got all my stuff from Stein. At the time I had done some research but really I had no idea what I was getting into...

Gave them a call and told them what I was trying to do. They took their time and made sure I had everything on my order list and did some recommendations on how "they would do it".

I cannot comment on how much inferior Auto stuff is. I only know that the stuff they sell is great.

100% satisfied customer... To bad they are not in Europe too.

West marine

Hi. Stein is the go to for electric. Great service.
If your in a pinch. West Marine has good quality connectors
Etc.

Back