What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My New Toy

jmcanty3

I recently purchased a flying RV-6 and had a chance to fly it for the first time yesterday. It flew beautifully. It is a basic set-up but has the big O-360 up front. The Performance Propeller wood prop provides a very smooth, very fast ride. Excited to say I am an RV owner......!

Now I need to figure out what to do with my RV-7 QB kit that has been sitting in the garage..! :rolleyes:

N542DP sitting in her new home:

2l8f321.jpg

RV Grin in full effect:

za2yc.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome plane! Mine's pretty basic too, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Lightweight and less to go wrong. Enjoy!!

Now I need to figure out what to do with my RV-7 QB kit that has been sitting in the garage..! :rolleyes:
It took me a few years to convince myself to do it, but I sold my -7 kit parts after I was flying my purchased -6. Unless you need the extra gross weight, you won't get anything more out of a -7 than you already have in your -6. At least, not in any significant sense. A tiny bit faster, a tiny bit more room in the cockpit, but that's about it. You'll get more range from the larger tanks in the -7, but unless your bladder can support it, the benefit is moot.

The real benefit of completing your -7 would be in ease of installation for things like autopilot, smoke system, AHARS units, etc, or if you had plans to make modifications that could only be easily done during the build, like larger fuel tanks or something like that.

Congratulations! Looks like a nice clean ship.
What to do with your kit? Well, they are very marketable.
However, if you can find the time and $$ to work on it, even if it takes you ten years, there is very little this hobby has to offer that is greater than flying the machine YOU built.

Clean hangar!

Yes your new toy looks great! However, that hangar is wayyyy tooo clean.😊 Mine has not looked that good since I started my build.

So clean that I am borrowing everyone else's tools/ compressors/ paper towels.....argh...need to get my laundry list of "stuff" together! Lucky for me I have good hangar neighbors :)

Yes your new toy looks great! However, that hangar is wayyyy tooo clean.😊 Mine has not looked that good since I started my build.

Back