What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any feedback on Catto Props?

N941WR

Legacy Member
Since I'm building an O-290 powered -9, the choice of which propeller to use isn?t so simple.

I?ve found IVO doesn?t support using their prop on any Lycoming engines because of harmonics problems. Bummer because I liked the idea of having an adjustable prop on my little engine.

Next on the list is either a two or three bladed a Catto propeller.

Any feed back on the prop and the company would be greatly appreciated.

I have a new two blade Catto Propeller on my RV-6. It runs very smooth, and the airplane is 10 mph faster than it was with the wood propeller the Catto Prop replaced. The workmanship on the prop is flawless. I'm still running with the spinner for the wood prop, but I'm in the process of fitting a new spinner.
I couldn't be happier with my choice.
Craig Catto builds the propellers for many of the sport biplane racers at Reno, and knows how to get the performance he wants, and he's nice to do business with.

Last edited:
3 blade Catto prop

Craig is a great guy to do business with. And I'm am thrilled with the 3-bladed Catto prop on my 8A. The prop does exactly what he said it would do. It runs very smoothly. Looks good on the ramp, too. And, the price is right. :)
Mark Andrews

3 Blade Catto

Hi guys

I've got a 200HP IO-360 and a 3 blade Catto prop. As I've said before in another thread, it is smooottthhhh ;-) The best sustained climb rate I've seen is about 2200 fpm, although I did get 2500 for a minute or so once before I hit the floor of some terminal space and had to level out. This 2200 fpm is with 1064 lb empty weight, 3/4 fuel, and a 300lb plus pilot (don't ask ;-) Outside temperature was in the 30 deg F range.

Tomorrow is lookin' good for weather around here (around 32 deg F and severe clear). 10 more hours and my test period is over !! Woo hoo !

I'll chime in too. Craig is a great guy, a kind host, and makes a great product. I love to see guys like him succeed. Go Catto you won't go wrong.

Oh, and I do have a two-bladed Catto prop on my O360 powered RV-4. :D

2 or 3 blade?

Any input from you guys that have Cattos in regards to why you went with a 2 vs 3 blade? I am about to order my catto and would be interested in your opinions. Thanks!

Regards

As a future Catto customer, I'll offer my .01 worth that I'm going with the 3-blade for ground clearance. That's my main reason.

Plus, I took my wife to the Cougar Landing fly-in a couple of years ago and without me prompting her, she said that the 3-blade props looked "really nice". Yup, she said "really nice".
And as we all know, when the wife says something looks "really nice" while looking at an item, that item is about to be bought.
So looking "really nice" is my wife's reason for a 3-blade prop.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feed back!

I too was thinking the three bladed prop was the way to go for ground clearance, even though they usually aren't as fast but do provide better climb performance.

As for looking "really nice", I my wife agrees with Vern's wife so I think I will be required to buy the three bladed prop.

I went with the two blade prop because I hear that two blades are slightly more efficient than three, but from what three blade owners are saying, I think any difference is small. Three blade props are quieter. I don't see how they could be any smoother than the two blade prop on our RV-6. A two blade propeller also costs less.

If Mamma ain't happy, Nobody's gonna be happy!
Now that's over, there was an article in the RVator (early 2004??) about performance with 3 blade vs. 2 blade props. As best I remember, the 2 blade edged out over 3blades. Personal preference?? I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Derrell

3 blade Catto

There is pretty good ground clearance with the 3 blade Catto prop. It makes me feel better when taking off from grass strips, decomposed granite strips in the backcountry, and poorly swept paved strips.
Mark Andrews

reply to catto propellers

craig is a nice enough guy his finish is nice looking but let me tell you the not so rosey aspects of catto propellers. I have experience with catto propellers by way of the Reno Air Races.I have been involved in building and racing F1 planes at Reno for several years. Reno 2003 craig built propellers for our 2 planes.The propeller was provided at reno it was installed on the plane and I took it up for a test flight the day before qualifying. I was about 5 minutes into the flight when half of one blade separated from the rest of the propeller and all xxxx broke loose . I was able to regain controll of the plane and land but could not stop the plane before going over a cliff. I survived with 2 broken ankles but the plane did not. Why did the blade separate you ask?
Well believe it or not (I have pictures) the blank that this propeller was built from had a butt joint in one of the layers. This butt joint consummed 60% of the cross sectional area of the blabe where it broke. The purchaser of a catto propeller would not be abe to see this because it is hidded by a thick layer of bias ply fiberglass. This is not the only propeller failure that catto propellers have had as it turns out.Someone commented that craig made propellers for the bi-plane race class a reno . That is true and every one of those propellers failed. The year before craig had blade failures as well. It turns out that craig has quite a history of propeller non-design as I learned while sitting in a wheel chair at Reno. Do what you will but our catto propellers will all make pretty clocks and one of them has an exciting story.
I hope this is useful in making your decision.

Iam trying to attach a picture but am having trouble . if you want to see the innerworkings of cattos wood propeller email me [email protected]

Last edited:
There is a vital piece of information omitted in the account above. How fast was the propeller turning when it failed? My Catto Propeller is placarded for a maximum of 3200 RPM. I would not anticipate ever turning it that fast. I also know that they turn many racing engines faster than 4000 RPM. That's a significant increase over the placarded limit.
Hamilton Standard Propellers have also been known the throw blades when overspeeded. This is the first negative comment I've ever seen on Catto Propellers. Racing has a way of pushing many systems to, and through their mechanical limits.

Catto Prop Comparison

Bill Von Dane has a preliminary comparison of a 2-bladed Sterba prop with a 3-blade Catto prop on an RV8: http://www.rv8a.com/engine/catto/

I also have a Catto 3-blade but have not flown with it yet. You can pay Craig an extra $120 and he will fit your spinner cone to the prop and the backplate but you have to send him the parts or get them drop shipped from Van's.
Leland

Back