What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finish Kit instructions pg 31B-17

Jackkclark

Well Known Member
Finish Kit, Page 31B-17
Step 1, insert RZ441 Co-Pilot Headset Wires and WH-P601 (orange black) Audio Power Wire into a ES-00043 Molex Receptacle.

If the wires mentioned above are inserted in the male molex as shown in Schematic Figure 2...they do not match the same color coded wires in the female molex when connected.

Should I simply insert wires from the harness into the male molex connector in an arrangement that matches the arrangement in the female molex.

If so, there are three white wires in the molex connector attached to the phone jacks and only one solid white wire included in the above group...from the harness. Which two white wires in the existing molex should not be used?

Wires in connectors for audio jacks.

I've had similar concerns but after checking with Van's was instructed to install the wires exactly as the plans describe. The colors don't always match. Also, there are some extra wires in several of the various connectors/wiring bundles that don't seem necessary. Was told these were for future enhancements ...(ie. don't worry about them).

Bottom line, follow the plans as exactly as possible. Brent.

Today I ran into the same color missmatch problem doing my jacks on a recently delivered finish kit. I wound up downloading the RV-12 schematic drawings from Van's to take a closer look. My personal opinion, based on what I see in the schematics, is that figure 2 on page 31B-17 is incorrect. I rewired the loom side of the Molex per the schematic since it appears to be correct. In other words, I lined it up color for color. If you look at the individual pin functions, it makes sense that way.

Alex

Just to clarify the above, if wired per figure 2, the microphone hot and ground leads are reversed, the left and right audio channels of the headphone are reversed and the headphone ground (shield) is not connected at all.

Alex

.31b 17

Is the wiring correct as seen in fig. 2, or should they be connected by color? Just don't want to play with those mini Molex connectors again if not necessary. What say you? Ed schupp
RV9A flying
RV12 finish

Hi Ed,
Please read my two posts directly above yours. I believe figure 2 is incorect, and I had explained the reasons why. You might want to download the -12 electrical schematics from the website and look for yourself. If after reviewing that you are still unsure of what is actually correct, I would suggest you give Van's support a call.
Cheers,
Alex

Correct Schematic

Go to: WWW.Vansaircraft.com.
Click: SUPPORT
Click: DOWNLOADS
Scroll down to "RV-12 Electrical System Diagrams"
Click: FINISH KIT SHIPPED AFTER 8-25-2011

Use "SightDraft" to download the schematic.
Use CRTL F to search for a wire or a module within the schematic.

Jack,
You might want to mention that the schematics are in AutoCad format. There are some instructions in the Van's schematic download area that point you to the AutoCad website so you can view the schematics if you don't have the required software on your PC.
Alex

Search for Schematics

OH Yeah! Vans tells you how to download SightDraft (I think). AFterwards you can download and see the schematics.

wrong gender connector? wrong orientation?

Here's my $0.02 on this page. I think the connector I have in my hand is the wrong gender compared to the instructions. The diagram in the instructions show "ears" which correspond to the connector I received with the jacks pre-wired into it, not the connector I'm trying to use.

Below is a picture of the Micro Connector I received in my kit. Looking at the photo, pin #1 is in the top left spot and #12 is on the bottom right.

If I turn the diagram around (e.g., swap #1<-->#6, #7<-->#12) then the instructions (colors) match up to the ones in the pre-made harness, and there are wires on both sides of each connector that match (expect for the optional power.)

Another way of stating it: the caption "(VIEW FROM WIRE INSERTION SIDE)" is in error and the image provided is the view from the pin side of what we're supposed to insert but is correct for the connector in the supplied harness.

How have those of you who completed this page interpreted this drawing? Am I trying to use the wrong connector even though it's the correct gender for the pre-wired harness?

Thx,

ES-00043%3f.jpg

My take and I didn't sleep in a hotel...

The wires depicted in the drawing above go through the top and bottom of the shell. To me this means that drawing is showing the top of the connector. Your picture of the connector is the bottom of the connector or where the pins slide/insert in.

You have the correct part just 'turn er over'.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi folks, after reading the above, I managed to download the RV12 schematic, and then found "Draftsight" on the internet to search the Copilot Headset wiring. Figure 2 on page 31B-17 is definitely INCORRECT, - it shows the pin insertion side of the ES-00042,(the one with the ears) which is the female socket prewired to the Mic & Headphone jacks, making up the Headset Module ES-00147(CoPilot). If we wire the male plug ES-00043 as per figure 2, the wires do not connect to the corresponding ones in the ES-00042, and as mentioned above, several wires are crossed, & the barrel or sleeve of the headphone jack is not connected to the shield wire on the harness as it should be. To wire the ES-00043 correctly, the pin numbers must be transposed laterally, (pin 6 becomes pin 1, pin 12 becomes pin 7, etc. The function of the wires & the colours then match up correctly. I am thinking there must be large numbers of '12s wired incorrectly, so the system must work to some extent, but the wrong wiring probably does lead to the "gremlins" & extraneous noises some have been experiencing when mixing headsets, etc. Cheers, DEAN..

You are absolutely correct Dean. Like you, I feel that this assembly manual error has contributed to the frequent reports of audio and headset issues.

Alex

Having just installed an ADS-B unit with a number of DB connectors I took great pains to avoid a mirror image wiring error. The convention on DB (and probably all connectors) is that if you are looking at pins pointing at you the convention is numbering left to right. If you are looking at sockets pointed at you the numbering is right to left.

Thank you Scott. This should avoid some audio problems down the road. Somewhere back in this thread a gent called Van's support and was told "build it per the KAI", or something like that. Are the support folks clued in on this now?

Alex

Thanks, Scott, a quick resolve of one of the very few "glitches" in the RV12 kit. I am having a lot of fun building it: looking forward to first flight within a few months! Cheers, DEAN...

More on page 31B-17

Hi Folks, after searching & sorting out the Copilot wiring the other week, it dawned on me today that the PILOT wiring would also be incorrect. (sometimes I am a little slow on the uptake?!) This proved to be so, & after an afternoon of removing & replacing those pesky little Micro-Fit pins,- (I have my own name for them, it's not Micro-Fit, but it rhymes..) Anyway I now have the wiring on both sets of headset & microphone jacks Correct. I did notice however another error on page 31B-17; we are told in step 4 to connect the Micro-Fit plugs & receptacles together, then in step 5 to check that there is no continuity between the nuts on the headphone & mic. jacks & airframe ground.When wired correctly, there WILL be continuity, as the barrels of the jacks are connected to ground via the shields on the cables WH-RZ441 & 442. Step 5 should be done BEFORE plugging the Miro-Fits together...
I hope this may reduce some headscratching over those headset 'gremlins'... Cheers, DEAN...

I did notice however another error on page 31B-17; we are told in step 4 to connect the Micro-Fit plugs & receptacles together, then in step 5 to check that there is no continuity between the nuts on the headphone & mic. jacks & airframe ground.When wired correctly, there WILL be continuity, as the barrels of the jacks are connected to ground via the shields on the cables WH-RZ441 & 442. Step 5 should be done BEFORE plugging the Miro-Fits together...

It actually is correct because the point in the build this step is happening, the fuselage harness has not yet been connected to the AV50000. If going back to this step during troubleshooting later in the build you need to reconfigure to the state the system was in at that point.

Hi Scott, thanks for that quick reply, - yes, you are correct, if the far end of the fuselage wiring loom is not connected, the shields will not be grounded & there should be no continuity between headset barrels & aircraft ground. Cheers & thanks, DEAN..

Back