What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 912 ? long term storage of new engine question

John-G

Well Known Member
Being realistic about it, the weather facing us here in northeast Ohio will not be in the 70?s for many months and therefore not conducive for cutting/drilling the canopy and rear window or completing fiberglass work until well after spring thaw.

The question: Is the Rotax 912 sufficiently pickled when shipped from the manufacturer? Is it conditioned from the factory well enough to last through a winter and likely not be started until summer without suffering any adverse affects internally? If not, what is necessary to protect the engine prior to first run.

My thinking is I can at least mount the engine and do some of the wiring through the winter months while waiting for warmer spring weather to complete the temperature sensitive work and finish up the 12.

Comments appreciated ? suggestions Roger or Scott?

See Installation Manual

1.3) General note
Warranty
BRP-Powertrain
INSTALLATION MANUAL
Preservation and storage of the engine
The engine is preserved at BRP-Powertrain thus guaranteeing proper pro- tection against corrosion damage for at least 24 months after the date of delivery from BRP-Powertrain.
This warranty is subject to the following conditions:
- The engine must be stored in the GENUINE-ROTAX packing as sup- plied by BRP-Powertrain.
- The covers on various openings must not be removed.
- The engine must be stored in a suitable place (at min. -40 ?C/-40 ?F and max. +80 ?C/176 ?F).
- The flat bag (blue) surrounding the engine must not be damaged or removed, as it protects the engine from corrosion and oxidation.
If the engine is stored for a period longer than 12 months (not stored in the GENUINE-ROTAX packing) then maintenance tasks must be carried out every 3 months as per the currently valid Maintenance Manual, section ?Preservation of a new engine?.

Moved?

Wondering why this post was moved from RV-12 section, since the 12 is the only RV using a Rotax engine and most interest in this subject would reside there. [ed. John, I'm thinking years down the road. This site has been online in various forms for over a decade, so I tend to think maybe another Rotax RV model could be down the road. Looking in the -12 area when the -17 (or whatever) uses a variant of the same engine wouldn't be intuitive. I base this belief on no data whatsoever, BTW. I have no inside info (and I really do mean that). dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Thanks for the info John.

Guess I will need to download those manuals from Rotax and see what I'm up against. If the engine is good out of the plastic bag for 12 months, then I may pull the trigger on ordering the engine just to have something to putter around with in the hangar while waiting for spring thaw.

Back